Saturday, June 26, 2021

Finally you can come to Germany, so....come?

The US Embassy in Berlin updated their website to reflect the travel info, that I've been hitting the refresh button on for months. AS OF JUNE 20 2021 RESIDENTS OF THE U.S. ARE ALLOWED TO ENTER GERMANY. *cheer* 

This is so exciting because until now that line said, "NO U.S. RESIDENT IS ALLOWED TO VISIT GERMANY." It was quite depressing.

We need to be in America ASAP because of family health issues and we need to spend more than a few days to take care of them, as we did in Spring. After a very long 5 year wait, J has earned his sabbatical year. This has been a very long 5 years, especially those last 2 *lol*

We need to be in America as long as possible (my husband can only visit for 90 days at a time) because this is the chance I've been waiting for to see if I can find work - preferrably as a medic. Interestingly, I'm not actually allowed to work in America cuz I'm not a resident. Citizen yes, resident no. But nothing would delight me more than to skirt around that law. I aim to misbehave *lol* 

We would also love to see more of America, and some of you have offered to host us (Kentucky?). It's my husband's dearest wish to see all 50 states and he's already got 17. 

But we need a housesitter/horsesitter and it's been impossible to find people. I have a good friend who is planning to come soon but has been waiting on Germany to declare Americans welcome to visit. 

I'm putting our farm up on "farm stay" and "work away" websites but don't have much hope. 

If any of you who have been following this blog and know our situation wish to stay here and care for our 2 animals and garden, it would be awesome. We're looking for someone/a couple between Oct 2021 and June 2022. Ammenities include 1. A piano and more other instruments than you can shake a stick at, 2. Amazon Prime Video, 3. Use of our Prius, 4. Robot vaccuum, 5. Air conditioner/wood stove. 

Also we'd be here to take you sight seeing before leaving you alone. Ok you can bring a dog.

Also, who wants to host us, if we actually do find this magical person who wants to come to Germany and stay here? 

Anyone?

***

Photos from our recent heat wave below. Mag hates towels and other random cloth materials but it was just so hot he let me put a wet washcloth on his head.







Entry and Exit Requirements: 

  • Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes. As of June 20, 2021, residents of the United States are allowed to enter Germany, unless traveling from a virus-variant area from which entry is banned. The list of virus-variant areas can be found here .  
  • Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? YES, a negative COVID-19 test is required to enter GermanyBoth PCR and rapid antigen tests are accepted; a PCR test must have been taken less than 72 hours prior to entry to Germany, a rapid antigen test less than 48 hours prior to entry.  

11 comments:

OffshoreKnitting said...

Hi Lytha, my sister in law might be interested actually. She has extensive experience in farming and might be available during the winter months. They (sis, hubby an 2 toddlers) actually run a working farm and restaurant in Italy during the summer months so she is already in the EU, so no "real" issues on getting to where you are at! What is the workaway link? If you are hesitant on sharing that link on your blog, send me an email. Sending good vibes!

lytha said...

OSK: I don't know why anyone who has a farm in Europe would be interested in staying at another farm in Europe, but thanks! Christmastime in Germany is something everyone should experience. Our HelpX link: https://helpx.net/host/13nbjm7x5

lytha said...

OSK: My Work Away profile is pending approval: ) It's basically the same thing as what's on HelpX.

AareneX said...

Crossing all my fingers and toes that you can make things happen!

AareneX said...

p.s. does J have to do anything specific while on sabbatical? Write a book or take classes? It's not a thing in my profession, so I'm curious!

lytha said...

Aarene, I am almost certain that he will not be able to stop working. It's a teacher thing. He works weekends and evenings and during vacations now, so.....? But he really wants to see America.

~ cheryl said...

I tried opening your HelpX link but received an error. Would you please verify. We live in Snohomish, Washington - our daughter and her family live in Berlin. Your post started some interesting discussion here today. My husband and I are both retired. We have a horse and two donkeys. Have been trying to figure out a way to afford longer visits to Germany in the future. Would like to explore all options.
~ cheryl mendenhall

JenK said...

Hi Lytha! Kentucky is still a go whenever you both can get out here! We're about 15 minutes from downtown Lexington, and about 10 minutes from the Kentucky Horse Park. :)

lytha said...

Cheryl, I have no idea what is wrong with the link, sorry. I keep trying it and it seems to work.

JK, to think, it might be our only chance in our lives to see Kentucky!

Becky Bean said...

I mean, I kind of want to stay there in June 2022. I wonder if I could make it happen? We could even house swap :D

OffshoreKnitting said...

I've past the link on and it was working! They are discussing it, they only get to run the farm during summers / tourist season, winters are usually very quiet for them so this is an excellent opportunity to spend it closer to family :-) I've also shared with all off the good workawayers I had the last couple of years. As Aarene says, crossing all fingers and toes to make your dreams reality, everyone deserves to be with family as much as possible!