Monday, March 25, 2013

Coming around

I am overwhelmed by how many people have asked me to blog again someday. I am touched by how many people care for me and my journal. It seemed disloyal to Baasha to blog again, but the blog was not his, it was mine. I am still in Germany, still horse crazy, and always American so as long as those things are true I will keep this blog.


I know you know that I've been shopping for a horse since July 2011, so in that way it's not like I'm just trying to replace him, and I shouldn't feel bad about it. There is no replacing a loved one, so I hope to find a very different horse to learn from and teach what he taught me to. Before I get too choked up, I want to tell you that I'm still horse shopping and I'm really ready to be done with it!

Last month my man and I drove to Hanover to visit a lady who has a handful of Arabians for sale that she bred herself. I rode a chestnut gelding with the best legs I've seen on any horse so far, and he was pretty good. But I was surprised that he's so green at 8 years old I was not allowed to wear my jacket, which might frighten him. It was a very cold ride, cuz I just had a tshirt on under my jacket. He kept jumping forward into a trot as I rode, but that was understandable, I was pretty tense. I do not like riding near trains - I have little train+horse experience. (Although *racing* a train is on my bucket list!)

I liked this chestnut gelding enough to make an offer, but I realized he's not going to be happy moving to a new home and finding a donkey there. So I realized I may need to buy two of her horses. And the second one was the problem. She wanted me to buy a grey gelding, and I said no thanks, no greys. Then she offered to sell me one with crooked legs and Appy eyes. I asked about another one, and she offered me that one. It would be a package of two for 7K Euros. I could do worse, I thought. He was a sweet bay with a history of bucking but hadn't bucked the times they rode him last year.

I made a deal. I'll give the asking price for both, but she has to get out and ride (or ask someone else to ride) the bay over the next month. She would have to report back to me how it goes riding him, and then if they pass a vet check, I'll buy them. Last week I got a mail from her that she's injured and cannot ride. (Horse related?) So she offered me the two horses for 6500, telling me I can hire a professional to ride the bay. She also said no more test rides would be possible, and transport must be arranged by me.

I was surprised she thinks the bay needs a professional trainer, and that I wouldn't be able to come ride either of them again. This seems pretty negative to me so I'm probably not gonna write her back.

Although my man (and Aarene) really liked the chestnut, and I really loved his tree-trunk legs, and they think I should consider just buying him for 4K, I just don't know.

Here's a video of the chestnut (named Shirokih) with the owner. What a sweet-faced thing! And check out those legs and hooves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reBo0x4tfhc

***

Some horses give me the impression they could easily move in here and live with a (terrifying) donkey. There was a bay mare named Basha (yes, how odd!) that I felt that way about. I rode her, she was the calmest horse I'd ever ridden; I asked if she was ill. I wanted her! She was one of those rare horses who aren't herd bound - we took her buddy away and she kept eating.

I made an offer but unfortunately they sold her to someone else. I even had a special new name for her, a name I'll keep for another Egyptian Arabian if I ever own another.

 ***

Yesterday my man accompanied me to visit a Quarab mare who is only 14HH. I was leery about it, but I know I fit on a 14.3 (Princess), and I remember Walli being smaller and still suitable. I would love to have another Quarab because Princess Buttercup was The Perfect Horse. Although I don't like QH, I love the way the mix can turn out sometimes. A pretty-faced racing machine with excellent braking.

But...

OMGosh she's tiny. And delicate. The opposite of Shirokih. But she licked our hands on meeting us, and for 5 years old I'm amazed at what she can do. Her owner has really spent some time with her. She showed us her groundwork, her lunging, her carrot stretches/bows, and manners. She got on and rode, and the little mare can do a little lateral work. She is uncoordinated on the lunge at the canter, crossfiring, but that's no big deal. She seemed to be able to do everything Baasha could do, but without the flight factor.

I got on and I'm sure I'm the heaviest person she's had on her, but she stood like a statue. I picked up the reins and said "Oh no, not split reins" and the owner went running to get me some English reins, which she has for her husband who also hates split reins. So far the mare had not taken a step with me. Then the owner removed the reins and replaced them. I was keenly aware of all the horses I would not have wanted to sit on as their reins were removed! But she just stood there.

Then we moseyed around and she responded to every little half halt, every shift of weight, it was like I'd ridden her before. She's 5 years old?? I didn't need to ride long. I wanted to learn more about her. The owner told me that she does not have separation anxiety, that she rides with a friend and when she turns for home, and her friend turns the other way, her friend's horse calls and calls and this mare does not even look. That is my top wish for a riding horse, something that some are born with - an independence that lets them separate easily. That would be my dream horse right there: )

Then the four of us (her husband came too) went for a walk with the mare around the neighborhood. I saw some mare-ish ear tilts as we walked by the companion pony, and as the 5 of us went thru a tight spot, she tipped her ears back. But honestly it was just cute - she's a mare. I love mares. I love how they take care of themselves and aren't always "yessir" but think a bit.

I know my husband could just get on and ride her, if he wanted. She's that easy. The owner said she doesn't spook, but when something scares her (like an approaching herd of sheep), she just stands still. She has the most perfect size 0 feet I've ever seen, the owner says the farrier calls them the best feet he's seen too.

Just, so tiny! She's a barefooter but uses easyboots on longer rides.

I don't think I look ridiculous riding her (just too fat, I need horse sports again!), but I don't like her QH way going, head down, tail apparently nerved because it's clamped down to her butt all the time. But she is a princess of a horse, a Barbie doll horse, and though chestnut is not my favorite color, it's not bad.

OK would you like to see her? Here are two videos:

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSuJXV0JnuQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNnalYLhtyw

And photos:

36 comments:

Kellie said...

So glad to see a post from you Lytha :)

Great videos. I liked the Quarab too.

Justaplainsam said...

So glad to see you blogging again. I love the last mare, and you do not look to big on her.

Crystal said...

Oh that mare just seems so perfect. I really like a small horse, so much easier to get on, and if she is part arab, she should be tough, she just might be what you are looking for, seems so much more broke than all the others you been looking at.
I am so glad you are back to blogging, even though you still miss Baasha.

Zoe said...

How lovely to turn on my computer and find you have been blogging.
So pleased you are still horsey hunting. Although not pleased to hear of how much trouble you are having finding the right horse.....
Hooves firmly x'd you find the right one soon. xxx

EvenSong said...

SO GOOD! to have you back! I was just thinking the other day of leaving you a message on your last entry, and here you are.

Sorry to hear you are still shopping. But it sounds like you're getting closer. I do like the looks of Shirokih a lot, and he seems very sensible. But the owner's new behavior does seem a bit odd. Be careful with then. And the little girl looks very pleasant as well. I don't think you are too big for her--she has lots of heart girth that makes you look pretty proportional to each other. And her tail set may just be the QH coming out--have you seen her at play in the pasture?
Good luck!

Reddunappy said...

So glad to see you back girl!!! Glad you are doing OK and still looking for a horse.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Oh my gosh! I love that little Quarab mare. Get her! Your story about swapping out the reins is similar to what happened with me last week. I rode Gabbrielle for the first time in two years, and the trainer decided to try out a different pair of reins. Before I knew it, the reins in my hands were no longer attached to the bit while I was sitting in the saddle. After seeing Gabbrielle's four-foot high spook that threw my trainer, I was praying something wouldn't set her off right then. But she just stood quietly. She even didn't mind when I dragged the clip end of the reins up her withers to gather them.

Camryn said...

So glad to see you posting again. I vote for the little mare, sometimes the best things come in small packages.

Lisa said...

I'm so glad that you posted again! I've missed hearing about you and your horse adventures! I'm sure that Baasha will always be in your heart. I like the expression of the chestnut gelding, Shirokih, and you have written about really wanting a great set of legs on your next horse. Perhaps you should just buy one and see how he adjusts to life with the donkey after a month or so.

Mare said...

She is too cute!

I'm glad your back:)

appydoesdressage said...

I am so glad you decided to post again! I like the last mare you posted pics of, I like how she is put together and I don't think you look overly big on her. And for being 5 and already having such a good head on her, she will tun out to be fantastic. I hope you make an offer on her!

Dom said...

It is so so so good to hear from you. And that mare is adorable.

Nikker said...

So glad you're back! I know I don't really comment much...but have loved reading your blog for the past 3 years. Best of luck on your shopping, b.t.w, I like the little sorrel mare... (0:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

OMGOSH!!!! She is just stunning!! I love her strawberry blonde mane and tail..and her long, gorgeous forelock. Truly, she is beautiful!
If she was for sale in the US, here in NM, I think I might have to fight you for her. lol!

You look perfectly sized for her. Really! She looks strong and agile and able to carry you without any trouble.

Oh wow! I'm so excited!! I don't know why!?! But she is really something special!

~Lisa
ps, I'm glad you're back!

AareneX said...

I think this mare is different enough from Baasha (and Princess B) that you will be able to enjoy the differences AND enjoy the similarities!

Can't wait to hear more.

cdncowgirl said...

I like them both... and if you're considering two why not these? You don't have to buy from the same person do you?
Oh, and I don't think her tail is nerved. She just doesn't carry it "Arab style" lol Also she may have been a bit nervous. You can see in the one pic that it's not as clamped down as in the vids :)

Sonya said...

I'm so happy to see you blogging again. We've all missed you..alot :)

Anonymous said...

I like the mare a lot - particularly her demeanor and willingness - good feet count for a lot too. And it doesn't hurt that she's pretty - that's a nice bonus. You don't look too big on her at all. (Don't think the tail is nerved - that's a pretty typical QH tail set - I could be wrong as I haven't seen her in person.)

Good luck, and it's great to hear from you!

Heather said...

So glad to see you back to blogging! I REALLY like the little quarab mare, and you look like a good fit. She looks nicely put together.

Heather said...

So glad to see you're back to blogging! I REALLY like the quarab mare, she looks like she's put together nicely, and you look like a good fit. Nothing better than a QH disposition too!

Laura Crum said...

I really like the Quarab. My kind of horse...not that it matters. Maybe she's your kind of horse?

Melissa-ParadigmFarms said...

I was just thinking about you today and wondering how you were doing, so I am delighted to see this post!

I like the last mare and I don't think you look too big on her.

KRE said...

Oh my she is so pretty!!!!! Love the QH in her - love the picture with her hoof up in the air. Love, Mom

lytha said...

Hi guys, I was kind of kidding about the nerved tail - I am just so not used to a horse that has such a clamped-looking tail. Did you see how it catches on her hocks when she moves? Yuk. Can you train a horse not to do that? *lol*

I'm glad you like her. I would be stupid to let her go, at least if I wanted to be part of Team Sensible.

I am calling vets in her area today to get a pre-purchase exam done.

The owner seems to like us, she said, "I'd be happy to see her go to you, I really care about this mare."

I wish I could afford two right now, and I'd buy both Shirokih and the Quarab, but that would be more money than I want to spend right now, and I think this mare would actually be fine with just a donkey for a while. OK and *two* chestnuts? AGH! But you're right, she's sorrel, not chestnut, with all that QH.

Gee if I ever wanted to ride Western, this is the horse for it. She might even look silly in English tack, we'll see. I know she'll look great in my white tack though.

I feel so welcomed back to blogland. I have to tell you guys about the two donkeys and their capers (sex right next to the road!). I have to tell you about the generous gift from the Coca-cola corporation after a coke-related incident.

But we're flying to Rome today to see the Pope (hehe)....

Bakersfield Dressage said...

It is so good to hear from you, Lytha! Either of those horses would be great. And you look perfectly sized for the Quarab. I can't wait to hear how it turns out. Wishing you the best of luck in your choice. :0)

Achieve1dream said...

You look great on the Quarab mare!! And I think she's very pretty which is weird because I don't even like chestnut mares LOL!! I hope you'll get her. You can always keep looking for another horse and let your hubby have her, but at least you would be able to ride while you continue to shop. :D

I'm soooo happy you're back and decided to keep blogging!! I was worried about you.

Tina said...

I'm so glad you are back!!! I checked here every day!!

That mare is beautiful! You look fabulous on her! I love how her mane matches your hair! :O)

irish horse said...

Glad to see you back! I love the chestnut gelding, his expression as he is happily walking down the path. He might just settle in. But go with what you feel, and the vet's think. Can't go wrong either way. Hope to hear of the donkey adventures soon too.

kbryan said...

It'd be awesome if you could get them both. That way you and your man could ride together. Hope everything works out to your liking. So nice to have you back.

Gina said...

I am so glad you are back! I love the little Quarb mare and would fight you for her for my SO - who prefers smaller horses. She is adorable and seems sensible.

I am with the previous poster, if you want two you can't beat an almost matched pair of chestnuts!!

distarte said...

I'm so glad you're back! Both horses are lovely and I don't think that you can go wrong with either one. Good luck.

distarte said...

I'm so glad you're back! Both horses are lovely and I don't think that you could go wrong with either one. Good luck!

The Equestrian Vagabond said...

Welcome back!
geez you could write a book on just the horse shopping you've done. we are looking for a kid's endurance horse and what some people's ideas of 'kids horses' are appropriate are rather insane.
the chestnut mare sounds lovely and no you do not look too big on her.
- The Equestrian Vagabond

allhorsestuff said...

Hi There!
Fantastic To Read From You Again And SEE*** You On A Horse Too!
I'm Smitten With The Chestnut Beauty,Shirokih. Great Legs, Good Movement On That Trail.

This Cutie Mare Is Very Nice Indeed. A
Lovely Neck. She Looked At Ease,
And Attentive To You.

Wow, Tough....But Go With What Your
Heart And Spirit Tells You.

How Was The Pope?

Really, Really Glad You Are Back. Thought Of You- Alot -2 Weeks Ago,S We Drove The Olympic National Forest Up To Forks.
XXX
Kac

HHmstead said...

Really like the chestnut!

Unknown said...

you are back! I love it! We will always keep Baasha in our hearts, but I am so glad to read from you again. Kuss! Kerstin