Friday, December 7, 2012

Ewigkeitssonntag (Day of the dead)

Today is "Eternity Sunday" or "Dead Sunday" and my man really wanted to go to church for the memorial service. I'd never gone on this day, I guess, and never took part in the nationwide memorial for Germany's absent citizens.
The thing is, with my own tragedy, I still don't want to be around people I know. So my man picked another church in his church circle in Wuppertal. He had actually spoken to the pastor beforehand, asking him specifically what the sermon would be about, to see if I could handle it. It as about the New Heaven and New Earth, where wolves and lambs live in peace, and predators become vegetarian, no one harms any other. Isaiah 65. I wanted to wear all black and I wanted to go. I had no idea it was a funeral for all the deceased of 2012, that I wouldn't be the only one crying. I kept trying to stop because I didn't lose a family member, "just a horse", but it was helpless, I was sucked into the grieving of so many today, my man had to use his tissues too. The pastor was this wild looking man - tall, bent over, and with crazy curly hair. His sincerity struck me as he spoke. He said we've all lost someone we loved this year, in this small church. We've lost a friend, a child, a partner, a horse, a wife... I jerked in my seat - did he say horse? He did. He looked out and saw me and added my loss to everyone's. Then he read the names of 77 people who died this year and lit a candle for every single one of them. Part of his sermon grabbed me because I hadn't heard anyone else say this. He said that our life will be remembered as a dream, when we are in Heaven. I knew I had to speak to him. After, it was so easy - no one else wanted to talk to him apparently. This doesn't usually happen, pastors are usually so popular. He took 5 minutes to just talk to us. I said that is *my* belief, that we'll remember our human lives as we remember dreams, vague, dark, unpleasant,...not nightmares, but not entirely good. We also won't want to spend much energy thinking about this dream. I wish I knew if CS Lewis gave me this idea originally..I'll have to look. Tonight German cemeteries are all lit up with red grave candles - I bet if there was a power outage, a satellite photo would be just amazing. There are laws protecting this federal holiday. There are laws against parties and celebrations today that would diminish the spirit of mourning. I know that starting tomorrow it is finally OK to turn on my Christmas lights. I always cheated and turned them on before Totensonntag, but I'll never do this again. I'll respect this holiday the rest of my life.

28 comments:

Tara said...

Dear Beth,
I dislike the whole "just a____" saying (insert whatever animal) that people say...It is a very cruel thing to voice to someone who is grieving... Baasha was not just a horse, he was family to you.. He was a great part of your life, and so very much loved by you. You have every right to grieve for him, for however long.. They leave behind a huge hole in our hearts when they go,especially when it is so sudden.
I hope though, that you are able to smile sometimes to, when you remember good memories..
Tara
P.S I wanted to tell you, maybe you would like a momento, there are people who make horse hair pottery as memorials for lost loves...

Achieve1dream said...

This post had me in tears again. I'm so happy you went and that it was reassuring. And so sweet of him to include Baasha. That is an interesting idea about heaven. I always thought we would remember it all, but we just wouldn't care. :) Remembering it like a dream makes sense. Thanks for sharing.

hainshome said...

You made me think of the Silver Chair, so maybe that's what you're thinking of, too. :) The evil queen tries to trick them into believing there is no world above the underground world, and they almost believe her. I soooo love that analogy.

EvenSong said...

A touching holy-day. Perhaps some of what our US "Memorial Day" should be, but isn't (having become "the first day of summer" and an excuse for a 3-day sale/picnic/camping trip). Sounds like it may have been a healing setting for you.
Take care.

AareneX said...

Just when I thought that people couldn't get any kinder, because my life is so full of kind people, you post something like this to prove that there are kind people all over the world.

Blessings on you, on the pastor, and on your man...and on a country that deliberately sets aside an entire day to remember those who aren't here anymore. I will add my little candle to all of yours.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tradition to start you on your healing journey.

CG said...

I did not know they celebrated that holiday in Germany. That is very nice that that the pastor mentioned a horse, he is a good man.

I was thinking of Baasha and you yesterday while I was cleaning the run-in shed in the rain (I remember you mentioning you miss the WA rain in a blog post.) Hoping that you are doing OK.

Reddunappy said...

((hugs))

Christie Maszki said...

Wow, that's a beautiful tradition. So kind of the priest to include your loss. Horse or not, our animals become some of our closest family members. Sending hugs your way, via the internet.

Bakersfield Dressage said...

Lytha, I am so glad that you had this experience. To have your grief recognized is so validating. I am so glad that you have such a kind and compassionate husband to be with you through this period in your life. I hope your journey of healing is a sweet one.

Karen

Unknown said...

Just caught up with ... All the news.

I'm so sorry, so... lost. My heart is with you.

kbryan said...

Thank you for sharing such a heartfelt experience with us. It was good to hear from you.

How is Bellis and her companion getting along? Are they a lot alike?

You hang in there.

The Kelly's Adventures in KY said...

Powerful Lytha, thank you for sharing. I echo the thought that I've heard the physical life as a dream from a C.S. Lewis book.

Kitty Bo said...

I've never particularly wanted to visit Germany, but now I wish I could go there just for that day and grieve. It is a beautiful thing. As much as I love this country, it is too superficial on such subjects because of the materialism around such holidays.

Funder said...

I'm so happy to hear this, lytha. All my love to yall!

The Equestrian Vagabond said...

yea - me too, got me crying again.
more hugs and healing wishes!
- The Equestrian Vagabond

Becky said...

I don't have an email address to respond to you, so I'll just say it here:

Thank you for sharing your verse. It was beautiful to me, and brought me peace.

kbryan said...

Wishing you and yours a happy, healthy holiday. Sometimes it takes a tragedy to remind us how truly lucky and blessed we are. Cherish your memories of those that are gone, I know you have some wondreful ones. You take care and give those donkeys an extra treat for us!

Zoe said...

Happy new year. I hope you are ok and things aren't quite so raw and painful anymore. I often think of you xxx Hope this year brings everything you need in your life.

kbryan said...

We miss you! Hope you feel up to letting us know how you are doing soon. You have a good week.

Becky said...

How are you?

I think of you often.

Hugs from the Pacific Northwest.

ellie k said...

Let ue know how you are doing, I check every few days hoping to see a post .

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Thinking of you.

~Lisa

likeschocolate said...

Hugs from Atlanta! I am sorry you lost yourvhorsecand beloved family member.

kbryan said...

Every few days I come here to look for a post from you. Hope you will come back to visit with us soon. Have a good wwek.

Pattie said...

Hope you are doing okay, hugs and hope from across the water.

K1K1CHAN said...

I'm so sorry I didn't find your Baasha blog until after he passed away. He was so so lovely and I can't imagine how powerful his loss is to you.

I hope some day you will pick up your (internet) pen again and tell us how things fair in Germany.

All the best wishes,
Kathryn Hilsinger Kane

allhorsestuff said...

You Know,I Couldn't read This, Till Now.
I Couldn't.

I'm so Happy You Went And So PleaseD And Impressed That Pastor Mentioned " A Horse". Your Baasha!!!

Tearfully And Joyfully Remembering Him