Sunday, April 10, 2022

I rode (2) horses! At Aarene's barn in the snowy north

Althought it's Aarene's birthday, she was kind enough to invite us up to the Near Canada North for a visit. Until now I haven't had the chance to see any friends so we spent the day driving. As if the Montana trip by Hyundai hadn't cured us of that. (We had to drive through a snow storm on the way back from Aarene's city that took a couple months off my life. - there were three separate carr accidents and my husband had to learn how to make way for Ambulances in the funny American way.)

First of all we're both recovering from colds, J is worse off than I am, and when he blew his nose he spooked all three horses, apparently. How embarrassing.

At Aarene's barn we watched some sort of mutual lesson giving/receiving going on between Aarene and her two riding buddies. What a trip, to get and give lessons with no money exchange, simply out of helpfulness (or ridicule, depending).

Finally Aarene asked if I wanted to ride and I said, "Yes, Hana, with a Specialized Saddle." I know Hana has one. Had one? So Aarene opted for my saddle request rather than horse request and asked if I wanted to ride Fiddle. Did I not bold and italicize HANA?: )

Fiddle is infamous  - you all know her - for opinionated behavior and I couldn't believe Aarene offered. I wasn't aware that anyone besides her owner could ride her. And most stories I read on her blog describe how uniquely difficult she is. I've gotten on a stallion with less trepidation. 


 

Needless to say, I was stiff as a bucket of frozen-together Missoula Montana Clark Fork River-rocks on her and she responded by walking very hesitantly with me, as if each step was a decision. No amount of "walk on" and nudging with my heels made a difference. She was saying, "If you're this tense, I'm not sure you really want to move forward." I have to say, that is the sweetest trait in a horse, moving slowly with beginners or people who are fearful.

But then she pinned her ears at me  - as I rode her! That is a new one. I guess my body was sending such mixed messages she had to "yell" at me to quit it. BTW, horsey, that doesn't help a person relax: )

Aarene joined us on foot, coaching me on her cues and trying to get me to relax, which eventually worked and the mare walked out normally. I then did serpentines and some spirals and she told me how to achieve them better. Aarene asked if I'd like to do some lateral work, bending her into either C shapes or D shapes, which is a cute way to describe dressage movements that have actual names (that Pat Parelli couldn't keep straight in his head)  *lol* 

I asked Aarene to take my picture trying to reach Fiddle's ears, because I literally could only reach my hand halfway to her ears, she's that big. I'm used to fixing my horse's forelock from the saddle *lol*

Used with permission

I was able to do the beginnings of lateral movements with Fiddle no problem, she's very well trained, responding to simple seat bone weight adjustments, but when I asked for a turn on the haunches she immediately gave me a turn on the forehand, which was just funny because it was like she knew what I wanted and said, "I have a much better idea - the exact opposite!" : ) 

Then Aarene's friend offered me to get up on Hana and cool her out. I've had great fun on Hana in the past so I was thrilled, and the dressage ("trail"?) saddle was super comfortable and I hate people who say super in front of adjectives dangit what is happening.


 

Hana was different to ride in an arena. Her owner explained she'd just been worked, so she thought she was done, and was a little ticked off that she had to start again and give a pony ride (to someone who weighs much more than the last time I got up on her).  She walked around for me without issue, and I was thrilled to be back on her. Had she forgotten me? Horses don't forget. We had a great time in the woods on the hill, leaving all the others behind!

I could touch Hana's ears over her lovely long Arabian neck, I was happy. But for the first time, Hana tested me, by randomly turning when I didn't ask, and absolutely refusing to whoa. Which is strange, cuz she was damp with sweat and should welcome stopping. I think I annoyed her owner by making a point out of stopping repeatedly, to try to simply get a stop. My cue worked with Fiddle perfectly, I sit deep, breathe out, say ho and basically stop riding, relaxing my entire body. And Hana would tip her nose up and start turning and turning and not stop for a while.  I cannot understand it, she was tired, she's not quite so young anymore, and she just pushed onwards, and I wasn't about to haul on the reins, they certainly weren't needed. 

 

Gigantic horse vs. normal-sized horse. Actually, as ever, riding feels no different, it's just the getting up and down that you have to think about.

Back up? I must have been speaking German, and Fiddle knows only North American.

After I rode Hana, her owner actually thanked me for "cooling her out" which is beyond normal courtesy, I was glad to have one last chance to ride her, depending on when I'm back in America and how long she might live. 

When I jumped off, I hit the ground so fast it was a surprise, especially after Fiddle who is Unnecessarily Large. I think the owner said Hana is 14.2? So perfect size for most women: ) I immediately started to loosen her girth but the owner said it's fine, I don't need to help with that. Isn't it weird, the habits we acquire even with strange horses? 

I feel bad that I couldn't communicate well with Hana in the arena, after knowing her so well in the hills. I feel great that I was able to get Fiddle to do whatever I asked, when I could let some tension go. 

Aarene put Fiddle in her trailer after putting a sweat sheet on her and giving her an apple which she had to earn with tricks, poor abused thing: ) Then we visited the stable's garden, run by Aarene's friend, and the entire time Fiddle stood in the trailer without complaint. I've just....forgotten what it's like to have a horse that will go in a trailer, and be content in a trailer, as long as they are in it. 

I remember September 2020 when my riding instructor put her horse in her trailer in our pasture in front of Mag and Mag's eyes were huge, "WHAT IS GOING ON - that horse just.....walked into HELL'S MOUTH!"

One more thing, I hope it's not offensive, but when Fiddle was standing directly in front of us, with her brown/black mixture nose and kind eyes and well, ears befitting an enormous horse (XL), both J and I had the feeling we were looking at Bellis. I know that sounds terrible but there was this expression, relaxation, loose mouth and ears, and happiness. I hope J didn't offend Aarene when he said, "Is there any chance of donkey ancestory." OMGosh, one should never have to defend her horse, "There is no donkey in there." *lol* I have to defend J, our donkey has a gorgeous head with sweet trusting eyes and the color of her nose.....OK now I miss her, dangit. I have 13 days before I see my animals again.

Happy Birthday Aarene and thank you for the gifts (how odd, you give us gifts on your birthday) and thank you for the chance to say I sat on "the dragon". Someone give Hana and Fiddle a home-grown carrot from P's garden, or ....at least, the greens from the carrots? Seirously.

4 comments:

TeresaA said...

That sounds like a great time.

EvenSong said...

I’m so glad you got to visit with Aarene, and Fiddle, and HANA! I remember that you quite fond of her. I’m going to have to go back and peek at Aarene’s FB posts, because I realize now that you were there, but I didn’t recognize you (beyond, that person on Fee is not Aarene, but does look vaguely familiar).
Have a safe and uneventful trip to the Midwest, and then Home to Mags and Bellis.

CSL said...

It sounds like you did better than I, the one time I visited and boarded the dragon. I am, she told me, very accustomed to riding a gelding who likes to be communicated with using bright big crayon letters, and trained mature horses do not need such annoying loudness. She made it very clear that I ought to stop that nonsense, while at the same time being Very Careful to to the Right Thing and make sure she kept me balanced despite myself. I am hoping there might be a next time so I can make it up to her when I have learned enough for us to have a grownup conversation - goodness knows my mare is trying her best to teach me too.

lytha said...

CSL, who are you? Do I know you?

Bright letters - I was told my horse had neon letters in her alphabet.

I wonder if it's a Philippe Karl training style, where you use hands without feet and feet without hands. It really works for Philippe Karl. It's an intriguing technique, very modern French.

I wasn't expecting it when I had a lesson in Carnation, WA, either. However the horses seemed to like keeping their noses above the vertical, which Fiddle can do.

If they keep that a priority, then horses can be relieved there will be no inside leg to outside hand, or? Someone please explain....