Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Where we've been

This is our final trip to America for a long while, so we're trying to see as much as possible. Last week my husband finally got to see Honolulu, HI. I'd been telling him how much he'd love it since I met him, and he did. 

2 days later we drove to Spokane, WA and I actually saw that city for the first time. Then on to Idaho to pick up some caches and then to our final goal of Missoula, MT. 

We had a great couple of days there until the blizzard arrived, but thankfully we were able to get back over the passes and now we're spending a couple of days in Coeur d'Alene, which is even prettier than I remembered, and the snow gave way to full sunshine all day - we have sunburns from hiking up a mountain cuz we thought we'd only need sunscreen in Hawaii. I saw a Mountain Bluebird!!!!

I'm so happy my husband has finally had the opportunity to see places that are important to me, and guess what, it continues next week.....

He just booked us flights to St. Louis, MO. He has a second cousin there, I have a first cousin, and it might be our last chance to get there because normally we don't have so much time. J's sabbatical year has allowed us to leave Seattle and finally see more. 

We want to traipse into Kentucky, Tennessee, and Illinois because those places are new to us both. I promised him it will be a whole 'nother cultural experience, that neither of us will understand people when they talk. We've got a full week down there, and then we have time to maybe, possibly see friends of mine near Seattle?!? 

I'll try to just include a few pics for now, and not overwhelm you, I have so many beautiful pics! 












In this last pic I'm recovering from hiking up that mountain playing with my piece of mica-filled granite that I borrowed from Idaho. They have swinging bench chairs!  J pushed me very high and then joined me.

7 comments:

Tina said...

Did you ride the carousel in Missoula?? I love that thing! I use to go every time I went there.

Shirley said...

Coeur d'Alene is only 2 hours from me! I live 6 miles across the border (Nelway crossing).
How wonderful that you get to see all those places on your wish list.

lytha said...

Tina, the concierge in Missoula told us to go to the carousel, but we never made it: ( We did drive by the one in Coeur d'Alene, which is indoors.

Shirley, We were walking up that mountain (I call it a mountain because it was 2500 feet above sea level and we're really used to sea level by now), and discussing your WS "riddle" trying to figure it out. I didn't know you are so close. There is a sign that says Canada this way and I was so tempted, I aske J "Can we go?" But no, my husband has spent a lot of time in America this year and he's afraid if he leaves, America might not let him back in. There is a limit to how long foreigners can stay in America legally and he's very careful not to break this law. In fact at the airport getting in this time, he was questioned at length about his intentions, whether or not he is employed, whether he will be looking for a job in America, and on and on, they are really watching for people like him, but it's simply a sabbatical and they seemed to accept that.

Tina said...

Oh what a bummer! It's the coolest and they still did the golden ring last time I was there. That is crazy that security is so high for people visiting legally. =(

EvenSong said...

So, from the photo of the Vantage bridge and the Wild Horses sculpture, you went east on I-90. You passed within NINE MILES of the farm! Are you still east of us? You’re welcome to stop for tea on your way back.
We were near Spokane before we came here, and my daughter still works there (as a cop! Don’t speed!). I spent a quarter at U of M in Missoula, and really liked the city. My son and his SO are planning to move back there once her kids graduate and fly the coop.
You’ve been able to visit a lot of the west! Add the mid-west and the northern fringes of the south, and you’ve had a pretty well rounded exposure. Glad J is enjoying it!

ellie k said...

I lost your blog and just found it this week, lots of catching up to do. I have enjoyed your trip to the US with you this week. It seems real with the pics and words. Thanks for the travel log.

lytha said...

Laurie, I admit, I thought of you every time I saw the word Ellensburg on the map, on the way there, and back. But we just had too much ahead of us, and then too much to get back to, to stop. I am so exhausted from road tripping: (

I wish I'd known how special the Spokane river falls are, with the bridge shaking with the vibration! And the horrid story of the 900 horses, I cannot even type it. The Indians who lost those horses and their entire culture! Fort Missoula, the largest internment camp in America, holding people for 6 years, And yesterday were were at Fort Warden in Port Townsend, all these military installments/prisoner camps right around Seattle/Washington.

We never speed, I drive like a granny (and got flipped off in Shelton, WA for exactly that) and J drives exactly 5 over the limit in the HOV lanes and keeps asking me, "Why is everyone passing us?"

I'm taking a day off from the freeways tomorrow cuz I need a break, and someone has to mow my dad's 2 acres of yard, ugh, before this house sells.

So sorry to not make it to your town. We did stop in J's favorite place in America - Rosyln, WA, where his favorite show, Northern Exposure was filmed. Again. We always must stop.

Ellie, wow, thank you! I keep a trip diary of where we are and what food we eat every day, or at least I try. This whole year has been trip diary with tiny breaks to remind us we actually live in Germany, which seems like a dream by now. Not real at all!