Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Consequences of ice

The deep freeze makes it dangerous for horses because their hooves slip into the crevices that were caused by their hooves, and when solid, can cause injury. All of you know that but in Germany the deep freeze is as serious as Canada. We've had 2 weeks of solid convoluted mud, nothing fluid. 

When I try to change Mag's blanket, he'll get a static charge shock and leap forward. It makes it hard to help him to accept blanketing, when the blanket itself shocks him. I'm using a lot of silicon spray on him. 

Sunday night - of course - Mag couldn't bear any weight on his RH. I haven't seen Mag in pain since Sept 2018 when he had cellulitis. I called the vet and he raced out here to discover a deep cut on his heel bulb. He bandaged him up and gave me Rivanol to soak him with. (Acrinol). Strange, is betadine scrub just an American thing?

My good vet said "Definitely turn him out." I pointed to the waves of frozen mud, 'on that hell?'" He said, "Yes."

I did not. I think you'd have to try to walk on our frozen snow-covered mud to understand how Mag should not be out there navigating it when injured. 

My other factor was that these last 2 weeks my animals haven't ventured out much anyway, so one more night cannot hurt.

Monday morning Mag's bandage looked good and I poured more antiseptic in. 

Same twice more that day.

Today, Tuesday, I'm having breakfast and my farrier's van pulls into my driveway. WTH!

Oh, look, he texted me last night but I didn't get it. Cuz I never do. 

Fine, this time I wasn't far behind him, I'd already cleaned up all the poop, thank God. I asked him for help with the bandage and he removed it. 

He concluded that Mag is fine, doesn't need a vet follow-up. Indeed, Mag was bearing weight.

Then a black car pulled up and I sighed, "Not now!"

My nemesis from the barn across the street was here to buy my Wintec endurance saddle on behalf of a friend.

I'm gonna have to get to that uncomfortable story another time. 

For some reason the lady decided to park her car in the one position that blocked in my farrier, and he's ultra fast and needs to go-go-go. He could not go.

For reasons of deep freeze my paddock gate would not open. My farrier was trapped.

I asked her to please come back in 10 minutes, she would not.

My husband came out and acquainted himself with both the farrier and the lady from across the street, trying to free the farrier from the paddock.

I need to check my cell phone more often.

 

 

Oh, I also sold these on ebay today. On Rosenmontag! (Karneval) I was sick of my animals never playing with them, and I hope whoever gets  them has better luck. Again, I win at selling things in like-new condition for a very good price. I don't like having things around here that are not in use. Hence the saddle thing......


I made this awkward thing that I'll never wear, cuz I can't do anything with it on (except crochet, ha). I like this photo cuz it shows us both on the couch, where we are spending Februrary. 

Also for part 3 of this story please remind me about Mag's shortest adventure ever today.


3 comments:

irish horse said...

So was the woman coming to pick up the saddle just a jerk? Because, really?!

And so glad Mag is OK! I can't imagine no turnout, I'm assuming everywhere is icy and even walking on the streets would be bad. When the tails get muddy here at least I have some gravel roads to walk on, I hope Mag behaves himself all cooped up!

Good job selling the horse play ball, Major doesn't like his either! I even drilled more large holes in it and made it into a treat ball, still was uninterested. The barn dog thinks it is a fun toy though.

HHmplace said...

We haven't been above freezing for 3-weeks. A foot of frozen snow on the ground, piles 3ft. high. 65-hours so far at zero or below. Glad I have no livestock!

AareneX said...

I want to hear about Mag's short adventure.

Also: I wear fingerless gloves to do EVERYTHING, I have fancy go-to-meetin' gloves made from fancy expensive yarn and heaps of cheap wear-them-in-the-barn gloves made from cheap-o washable synthetic yarn. Crochet is one of my coping strategies for online meetings, otherwise I get stir crazy and drive people crazy including myself.

Is the Wintec the one I rode Baasha in a billion years ago? I had one like that one of yours, and hated it! There's got to be more to the story of your "nemesis"????