Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Words for snow

Last year I became a Tpost electric fence expert. This year I can tell you lots about snow.

We have had 4 distinct types of snow this year. The first was normal. The second was Sticky Snow, in my last blog post you can see the stickiness! Right now we're enjoying Magic Snow, which is snow that falls in a sunny cloudless sky, with zero accumulation. (No *new* accumulation, ahem.)

This morning we had Edward Cullen Snow. The sun turned the snow to diamonds, and the snow falling in the sunshine was glitter. I was staring at it and J joined me and said, "Looks like that vampire" just as I was thinking that.

The glitter snow was too cold to be proper snow, it was defying gravity and each individual snowflake contained a rainbow. I tried to capture the rainbows in the images and film below, but it just looks like sparkles.

It's easy to enjoy snow when the plow/salt truck comes every morning at 5AM, and again if necessary. We are not trapped here. I shovelled a path to the mail box and a place for the mailman to park and it was like shovelling air.

We have a fire in the fireplace every day now and thank God we have enough hay that my animals are stuffing their faces 24/7 and enjoying warm water to drink. 

But I miss the color green. And today I had to take a hoe to get icy poop to release from the ground. It's enough, enough finally.

Below, Mag says, "That's my spot."

"Yer in my spot." : )




Today they finally came out to see the white world and Mag had a good romp, though it worries me when he bucks that high! They took a few minutes to enjoy the feel of the sunshine and then went right back in to their hay. Funnily, the neighbor horses were standing in exactly the same position across the street - "Sideways to the Sun" (New Order song). 

I know you won't believe me but the sun is still shining and it's still snowing - it's been Magic/Glitter Snow all day!

As I'm wrapping up this post Hartmut walked by, stopping as he always does and waving at Mag from the street for a few minutes, chatting with him. Last week I had Mag out and ran into Hartmut and his wife and he was thrilled to be up close to Mag again. His wife told me that he asked her to take a photo of Mag for him, which she did, and it's hanging on the wall of his nursing home bedroom. So sweet! I don't wanna know how muddy Mag was in that photo....: )



4 comments:

AareneX said...

Better you than me! :-)

Monday I went out to do a few hours of trail work with Linda Brown, and as we were loading tools back into her rig we both looked up and saw about 5 sn*wflakes.

"Right, great job, going home now, bye!"

We did not stay long enough to identify the type.

AareneX said...

UPDATE: there's almost a foot of the foul stuff on the ground...and on the roof...and on freakin' every damn thing that isn't in the house. Here are the words we use (that mostly aren't cuss words):
* heavy wet damn slush
* damn white shit
* it's everywhere, damn it
* gahhhhhhhhh
* the plow blade broke a cable and now we're shoveling this shit by hand


Okay, no, there's actually a lot of cussing.

HHmplace said...

We too have had more than our share. The last few have been light as air. Temperatures have broken an all time record. -25 for us last night!

lytha said...

Aarene,
So sorry you have to endure it too - without snowplows and salt trucks. It will be gone soon!