Saturday, March 14, 2020

Grundstueck 72 - Tag Null (Day zero)

11 months ago we learned we could finally buy 72, the wooded lot between our house and our field.

This is my initial video, before I made my first blackberry takedown. There have been issues about the actual purchase of the land, bureaucracy due to the land being given as an inheritance to its current owners who are senior citizens and don't have much proof. The city is being very careful to be sure someone else does not own a share in the land before we are allowed to buy it. However, we have already secured the loan, and have already signed the papers with the sellers at the notary. For now, we are the legal leasors of the land, responsible for any mishap (treefall) but allowed to begin work. BTW, this process is taking much more time and agonizing than this paragraph could convey.

I will spare you that. I've wanted this lot for 10 years. It has stood between me and my horse that long. My husband realized from the start how stupid it was to have this piece keeping our property in a U-shape, the middle not belonging to us. We've both yearned for it.

I'm so glad I made this video last year because by now you can walk in so many places you could not get to before. And as of March 1, 2020,  my animals are on it! Not all of it, but enough for them to frolic and enjoy their first efforts of destruction. *lol*

I believe I have enough images to show you the progess over the last year, to show the steps we took in decimating the deadwood and taking down blackberries. That is, more to come!

It sucks that I had a cold when I made this video, I sound awful. But I hope you enjoy it and maybe you'll catch the little German words that slip out sometimes.




6 comments:

AareneX said...

Lots of potential there! And that roof garden...hmmm. I love the little secret shed.

We have a cute little outhouse also. It's overgrown by blackberry and ivy, but I just can't tear it down. It doesn't have a roof.

So excited for you!

HHmplace said...

Saw the wind chime! Sad :-( I have one that size now hanging from the big cottonwood. We used the Big ladder, so it's way up there. "72" is how deep? About 100 ft.? You do have your work cut out for you! It's taken me 3-years to clear the back of our original extended "yard". The Timbered lot is by far the largest & finally, the one where we put the Cabin. I do like your video! I'll have to do the same. I'm to the "fun" stuff now! Laying out the trails etc. In Iowa, timbered land was always considered "worthless", so was used as a dumping ground. I still pick up a small bucket a day of rusted metal, broken glass etc.

Shirley said...

If you are keeping the sumac it's important to know what kind of sumac it is. Staghorn Sumac is safe for horses, but white Sumac is poisonous to them.

TeresaA said...

It’s a nice little property with lots of potential.

lytha said...

Aarene, you like the roof garden? It's clever but wasn't properly built, full of holes so if I want to preserve the hut, I'll have to re-roof the thing. Illegally. Ugh.

You have an outhouse too? No way!

Connie, 72 is about 90 meters in length from the street down to the ponds/creek.

Shirley, thank you for that! We have the staghorn here that the horses love to eat. Also the safe walnuts, thank God, cuz we have so many walnuts.

TA, I'm thinking of your story of putting in your ring, but in this case, breaking the law and hiding it....I don't know if I'll ever even get a roundpen, cuz we're so visible.

Nicole A said...

Lytha! Yes, I had seen this post. :) Responded to your comment on my blog but wanted to make sure you saw it:

Please don't use the TP that was exposed to mice! They can transmit leptospirosis through their urine!

I thought of you today <3: we have an Aldi's right across the street that we always forget about. One of Carlos's coworkers messaged him they had toilet paper there! So off we went...and they still had some in stock! Were also able to get paper towels! And a few other grocery store items we were missing.

YAY Aldi's! :D