Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Same trail, different experience

On Wednesdays Ani is only allowed to take the mare for a walk, but I saddled up Mag.

First thing when we met up today, I asked her what I can do to help her with Rudi. She shrugged. I said, "If you think of anything, let me know. I want to help."

She wanted to do the exact trail as yesterday, thankfully I had saddled Mag cuz 6 miles is a long walk in this area.

I was asked what I do to repay Ani's super accomodating nature. She gets to pick the days of the week we ride, she picks the time of day (even when it's early and I want to sleep in), she picks the trail we ride on, and she picks how long we ride. I'm pretty bored with our typical loop, but I'm so grateful to have her I do it twice a week with her. We have a far-off dream of riding to a far-off destination - a 5 hour ride - but she's not allowed to ride that far.

Today was the opposite of yesterday because Ani was on foot leading the mare the entire time. Because of this they had no difficulties and I could just sit back and enjoy.

Most of the time Ani complained bitterly, hopelessly about the mare, and what to do about it. She said, "She's the most respectless horse I've ever encountered."She went on and on in that tone of voice that means she's stressed and doesn't have the answers she needs.

At my mounting block, Rudi stood perfectly still waiting for us, and as Mag chewed his carrot I said, "Can we just stand here a moment? Yesterday you couldn't, and I want to practice it." This frustrated Ani and she said I need to have patience with her.

Ani very rarely mentions the scenery/enviornment but today she pointed to the view of the hillsides above the watershed and said, "I love this part" to which I replied, "Not me - this is a street." Germans call wide asphalt roads between fields riding trails, I call them streets. (Also, we run into vehicles, so .....street: ))

Ani was thrilled with Rudi today, praising her the entire time, laughing, "It's totally illogical that I like this very bad horse."

She told me that yesterday she *was* holding Rudi back, if she'd let the reins go, the horse would have run off for home! It brought to mind something I read recently, "If you cannot stop your horse, even if it's just walking, it's running away with you." Who said that?

Next month I'm taking Ani to Equitana because she's never been. I cannot believe it - she's lived her whole life here and has never seen it! It's Europe's biggest horse fair, I've been twice. She said no one has ever offered to drive her. Of course I'll take her! Monty Roberts will be there this year but I'm avoiding that day cuz it's crowded enough there without Monty Roberts (and he's gonna be super expensive). I told Ani to not be surprised when she sees lots of Rollkur by both English and Western riders. Lots of non-stop spur action. Gorgeous but unhappy horses. But there will be one or two good things that make it worth it. 




4 comments:

Camryn said...

Can’t help but to wonder if Ani’s impatience has feeds Rudi’s need to move off? Sounds like an awesome adventure, I’m considering taking 5yr old grandson to his 1st Equine Affaire!.

EvenSong said...

So,strange that Rudi can be so different on the lead than under saddle! (Although, haven't you mentioned that her ground manners can sometimes be atrocious, too?) I hate to suggest a bigger bit, but, since Ani doesn't seem to be very effective with what she's got...
As far as I'm concerned, missing Monty Roberts would be a blessing. Before he was "famous" he bought the farm across the road from where I worked (his Flag Is Up farm, in Solvang, CA), and my boss and I used his training track occasionally. He was all bluster, and full of himself. Like Parelli--some horsemanship, but mostly self promotion.

T said...

Ani sounds like a good riding friend. Even here in an area full of trail riders it is difficult to find someone reliable enough to commit to riding more than a couple of times a month. We have a long standing ride that meets 11am on Saturdays and goes out for 1-3 hours. Last spring once we had almost 30 riders one day but more often out of all those people who say they can come it's just 2 or 3 of us who actually show up, and sometimes just me in the winter!

Equitana sounds amazing! I hope you both have a great time.

AareneX said...

EvenSong, I'm not a huge fan of Monty Roberts (or Parelli) either! Sort of an...anti-fan.