Sunday, February 17, 2019

Mag vs Mtn bike

Now I know how Mag feels about bicycles on trail. He will threaten to destroy them.

No matter that the guy dismounted and approached carefully, it was too much for Mag today and he double barreled (kicked out with both hind hooves) at the bike.

I apologized to the guy and he said, "I've met this horse before." (??!)

So, somthing new to work on. Unexpected. We need more Sunday outings, I told Ani tonight. She agreed. We don't encounter the users on the weekdays we go out. We need weekend training cuz Mag thinks mountain bikes are predators, even when their owners stop to chat!

Ani was perplexed, "Mag loves my bike! He chews on it as I push it!" Well, I guess Ani pushing a bike in front of Mag is a whole 'nother story than one coming from behind with a stranger attached.

7 comments:

AareneX said...

You've already done my first suggestion: have a friend with a bike!

Next up: carry cookies/carrots to hand to bike riders. Fiddle treats bicyclists as vending machines, she is always so happy to see them so she can get a cookie.

TeresaA said...

Oh dear. His kicking reaction when he doesn’t like something is definitely something to work on. The kicking is good for a wild horse on the prairie but not for a domestic city horse....

Camryn said...

WOW! Wonder why & what the guy meant by his comment!

Nat D said...

And what was your reacion?

lytha said...

Aarene, sadly Germans are not Americans. If you talk to a stranger here, that person will think he must know you and has forgotten who you are, which leaves him in a state of confusion, or he thinks your a psychopath. If you SMILE while talking to a stranger, you're a confirmed psycho. Enjoy using your friendly American bikers to train your horse, it's a sweet method!

Teresa, he's just twitchy enough that I never feel safe around his hind end.

Camryn, me too.

ND, I apologized to every single biker in that group. I hope they know how bad I felt.

Surprisingly my friend Michi who was there was bitching about the mtn bikes and how they have no business in the woods, sneaking up on horses. I hate that too but these bikers all stopped and asked if they could pass.

Nat D said...

Did you ask Mag to yield his hindquarters ?

lytha said...

ND, I whirled him around so Mag was facing the bikes, so he could not kick out at the people politely walking their bikes by us. There was plenty of room, but I guess not, from Mag's perspective.