Tuesday, February 16, 2016

2.5 hour walk?! (with a few photos)

I forgot my watch and thought we'd take an hour walk but somehow it was way longer. (Please forgive the odd formatting, I'm not patient enough to fix the HTML.)


We did a lot of just standing around, that's probably why it took so long. I wanted to do a mostly pavement walk for his hoof health, and on a sidewalk so we wouldn't have to dodge cars constantly. So I chose the fast street -  the 100kph street -  and lots of vehicles really do enjoy going that fast on that country road. 

We encountered busses, trailers, a bicyclist, dog walkers, walkers without dogs, and a lady with a baby stroller, to which I couldn't help exclaiming, "Stroller! It's his first stroller!" and the lady was glad, probably, that I took him into the street to pass her. I always take my horse into the street and give up the sidewalk entirely to other users, to be polite. Some of them even thank me. I was pretty sure the stroller would worry Mag (cuz Mara flipped out) but he was fine. Hm.

I did a little groundwork in some parking lots (parking lots are my arenas!) and he is starting to get pissy about yielding his hind end, he swishes he tail when I ask. I have no idea what to do about that. Ideas? I'm not even touching him, I'm just bending his head toward me and walking quickly toward his hip and expecting a swift 3-4 good strides away from me before I stop and praise him. 

He seemed to have completely forgotten how to circle around me when I point, he just backed up! So I went with him and kept swinging the end of the rope until it occurred to him that he was giving me the wrong answer and went forward. I think he's a little scattered. Perhaps he thinks, oh, she mostly wants me to back away from her, so that must be the right answer.

He's not able to give me his full attention out there, always looking around, even during the ground work. But I don't want to put too much pressure on him. I don't want to "Clinton Anderson" him, but I do think that the 7 games are just basic good manners training for horses, so though I'm not a P fan, I do the games.


I actually dropped the rope at one point and almost lost him. I have no idea how, perhaps it was the moment he sprang into a trot unexpectedly as I asked him to circle me. Suddenly the rope was on the ground and I was chasing it which scared him and he kept moving away and the rope was just out of reach until finally I caught it. I can't believe that happened.

A neighbor stopped to pet him and admire him and apologize for driving by him and startling him in his utility truck but he drives very politely, it's no problem. That was the first time  a neighbor has stopped us to talk and I told him how good it was for a horse who has trouble holding still. I'm sure it helped that the man stroked Mag and told him "pretty boy": ) He said Mag is Eitel. I looked it up. It means he's a peacock: )

Truly, he spent the first half of our walk with his tail up over his back, walking along with lofty steps snorting quietly at things, but eventually he lowered his tail to the normal Arab position and stopped the snorting.

Later a lady walked by and Mag stretched out his nose to touch her and she reached out her arm to him like she wanted to pet him but I didn't know her so I didn't stop. Perhaps Mag thinks the world is full of friends?

We encountered two tiny streams and the first one he jumped so violently and fast he made a hole in the ground, very deep and dangerous. I tried to fill it with rocks but it would not fill! The next creek I thought about, I really don't want him leaping over creeks if possible so I had my most clever thought, I walked him upstream, because this creek spreads out over a large area, very shallow. It worked. He walked in with me and then stepped over the only deep part with no leaping.

Then he peed on the trail, which is good because some horses get so tense they cannot, and then pushed into my space when done. I corrected him, asking him to back up, but he refused to step in the pee, and instead, decided to jump up an embankment over the trail. I had no idea if there was a barbed wire fence in all that crap but he just crashed through it! I was surprised but as long as he was away from the pee, he could suddenly back up again. Strange. After some consideration, I realize he made a decision, in his mind, he couldn't go backwards (pee), nor right (fence), nor forward (me) so he leapt right up the hillside. So glad he chose that option rather than crashing through me.

Then I sat on a bench by that deer farm and he relaxed much more than usual, I was very pleased with him.

We left a trail of white hairs the entire time, I could see them floating off both of us in the sunlight. Like breadcrumbs, we could not become lost *lol* Right now I'm getting white hair all over the laptop and in my lunch.

When we finally reached home, I used our driveway to do just a couple more circles around me (walking) and although he swished his tail at me a few times, he started to fall asleep when we stopped. His eyes were half closed and he let it all hang out. I guess he's pretty exhausted after all that.  

Oh, he coughed/snorted a few times. I can't tell if it's a cough or a snort but it doesn't sound good.

And now for a few pictures...



This photo is to show you my new fangled frost-free bucket (made in Iowa, home of J.T.Kirk). It's simply an insulated bucket (that costs way more in Europe than in Iowa!) and seems to really work, although it's just a normal 5 gallon bucket, but enough to get them through the night with something to drink I think. There's a little floating dish on top of the water that helps prevent freezing. I imagine Mag will destroy it soon. I have the entire contraption tied to my fence (as shown) to keep him from disassembling it. 

As soon as I filled it this morning, as soon as I walked away, I turned around to see him drinking and drinking from it. He loves warm water as much as Bellis. Then Bellis came over and drank and drank. I think this thing will work. We'll see tonight when it freezes again.



It's our first time working on shedding him out. I had him loose at first but he kept taking the little clumps of hair in his mouth and flipping them about. Very cute. But I needed him to hold still so I eventually tied him. Grooming: The process of transferring dirt and hair from a horse to a person. 6th tail washing yesterday. Looking better but not quite there yet: )



I love polar fleece for all reasons except one.



This is the glass recycling parking lot, where the neighbor guy who we met earlier parks his city utility truck. I just stood against it letting Mag move all around, for some standing practice, and Mag started tasting it all over. 

Am I mistaken or is there a little shimmer in his yak coat? Can't wait for it to be gone. I hate hair.



For the first time I can see his brand. A little bit. Do you see it? It's about dead center in this photo. Can't wait til I can see both of them. Also, I'm dying to know exactly how flea-bitten he is. That is nearly impossible to know in Winter, but as he sheds, I'll know. I love lightly flea-bitten horses. Owning a grey is so tiresome, but it holds surprises.



This is the tiny narrow trail we took home, which made me a little nervous, because we pass by an outdoor swimming pool, several ponds and streams, and the path is so narrow it's a real trick if you encounter other users. We did, but thankfully we were in places where I could easily move him over.  I took this photo because he just suddenly stopped and started eating moss/sticks/pine needles. I thought great, you stop willingly, I get a photo!



A little frost flower, discovered near home.

Looking forward....

18 comments:

Cricket said...

Mark Rashid tells a story of a man who would make his horse step from side to side eight or nine times every time he worked with him, which was five or six days a week. The horse began to pin his ears and make nasty faces when the man would ask. The guy asked Mark why he was doing that. Mark had watched the exchange and then asked the guy, "what is one plus one?" The guy answered that it was two. Mark asked when he had learned that? The guy said when he was in kindergarten. Mark then asked how many times he had studied one plus one and the guy answered, "not since I learned it. That's easy and I don't need to study it." Mark said, "That's what your horse is trying to tell you. He's got this and doesn't need it reiterated again." And sure enough, about a week later the guy dropped a brush in a grooming stall and asked his horse to step over and he did.

Maybe Mags has it and wants to move to something more difficult.

irish horse said...

I think he's probably testing you, getting more comfortable in his new surroundings, thinking "will she let me push her around?" Since your answer is no, sometimes you might have to step up your "voice" so he really listens. I know I just have to escalate once, a little loud/big, and my horse thinks "ok, ok, I didn't really mean it."

But he looks great! Laughing at your sweatshirt. I've given up on polar fleece for the stable, it can be lined with it, but not the outside. That fur never comes out.

And that frost flower is amazing! I've never seen anything like that, it must occur only during certain conditions.

lytha said...

KB, I remember that story. My concern is that Mag swished his tail today the very first time I asked him to move over for me when I was grooming him, not just during groundwork. Since he did it there, I became aware of it and began to notice it later when we did the groundwork lessons.

Irish, I don't think I'd ever seen frost flowers in Seattle.

kbryan said...

I enjoyed this comment, "Mag is Eitel." I can just see him puffed up and proud, snorting here and there with his tail over his back - makes me smile. And the photo of your jacket cracks me up, he really is shedding up a storm!

What a difference your Mag poss are from your Mara stories. I am soooo happy about the way things are going with him. Speaking of Mara, have you heard anything about how she is doing?

Mag is so fortunate to have a loving owner AND his very own donkey. Have fun with him this week!

EvenSong said...

My first instinctive thought (obviously with no basis in your reality, I hope) was is it uncomfortable for him to step over? Or is something about the movement painful? As with many behavioral issues, that might be something to,consider/eliminate...
My black and white has started to shed (no one else yet). Hair everywhere! On her gray and white momma, summer is the only time we can see her overo markings!
Sounds like it was a good,walk. What's your timeline for starting to ride?

Achieve1dream said...

Could the tail swishing be because of pain? Chrome had trouble backing up and crossing his hind legs due to his stifles. I can't recall if he moves his tail though... It's more pinned ears and reluctance to try than tail swishing I think.

Before I read your comment about him doing it while grooming my other idea was maybe he thought you were going to get after him? If he's been smacked on the rump for being slow to move over he could still be anticipating that. Not sure if that would explain the grooming incident, but it would explain his reaction to someone walking swiftly toward his haunches even though you haven't touched him.

Horses are a mystery sometimes. I love the pictures! That's crazy how much he's shedding!! I've been bad and haven't been grooming Chrome. I wonder if he's shedding yet. How will you ever get all the hair out of your polar fleece jacket??

That frost flower is so cool! I've seen them before but I can't remember if it was online or in person lol. That's bad!

I love the shot of Mag's neck all stretched out! Looks just like Chrome! I'm thinking Chrome definitely took more after the Arabian than the Friesian lol.

TeresaA said...

I think it depends on how he swished it. If that makes any sense. When I had Royce come to back Steele he explained that when you ask a horse to do something and he yields he will gently swish his tail. he said it's a good sign- means that the horse is thinking.

So if it's a gentle swish I wouldn't worry. If it's a pissy swish then that means he's protesting.

lytha said...

Karen Burch, I should have thought about my comment before publishing and going to bed. I agree with you, my main instinct is that he's saying I don't need to shout at him even though I feel I'm being kind. And yesterday as I was out there I pondered just backing down and not asking him as often, because his attitude seems willing rather than grouchy.

Kbryan, I emailed Mara's new owners a few times but they've ignored me. Although the whole family fell in love with her, I fear they've probably had to get a trainer's help and they blame me that she's not so perfect, after all. *sigh* I do know someone in the area so eventually I can try to find out.

Evensong, I will start thinking about riding when he's able to relax out there on our walks. Which I saw signs of yesterday: ) But I'm thinking between Spring and Summer. Of course if I had someone to ride with, I'd be on much sooner.

Achieve, I had that sense too, that he thought I'd escalate. He's afraid it's gonna get intense. I might try a pet hair remover thing on the jacket. How stupid of me to let that happen. I can't count how many times I had to reach into my mouth yesterday and pull out white hair.

TeresaA,The only way I could differentiate a pissy swish from otherwise would be the facial expression, or a raised hind leg. Is this what you mean? Your comment reminds me of the dressage mare Blue Hors Matine, how spectacular she was, and some said her constant tail swishing was her "concentrating" but the Germans said, "What a pity, what a pity, that tail." Unfortunately in dressage, tail swishing is not up for interpretation, am I right?

AareneX said...

I also wondered about swishing = pain. Both directions? Every time? Does he seem cranky with any other movements, ornis he "testing your resolve"? Those are the questions that will make a difference!

I like this horse's thoughtfulness, though. Reminds me of that snorty stallion vid you posted: all fluffy with the tail, and eyes everywhere UNTIL the handler asked for something, and you could SEE the focus. So neat!



lytha said...

Update - in talking to my friend S about our walk yesterday, she said I'm asking too much of a 5 year old horse. She said she would either take the horse for a short, 15 minute walk, OR do ground work at home for 15 minutes, OR lunge the horse a bit. Combining ground work and our walks is too stressful for Mag, she says. She says being imported from Eastern Europe, like her horse was, is traumatic and he needs more time to adapt to his changing environments. She says I shouldn't have asked him to go over/through water so soon.

I certainly don't want to make him barn sour, so I'll try not to forget my watch again. On the other hand, I get the feeling he enjoys exploring. That he loves a change of scenery, that he's intensely curious about every new thing out there. When something scares him - a guy ripping up cardboard boxes to recycle yesterday - he snorts and prances, but he's not scared for his life (Mara), he seems to say, "What a rush!" (BTW the paper recycling guy apologized and said "Am I too loud for the horse?" and I just laughed. Most people around here are so freaking polite around horses!)

I responded to S that I'm not going to stop sitting down on benches to ask Mag to just stand still for a few minutes on our walks, but I can do the ground work at home for the most part at this point. Except for all the backing up, that has to happen on every walk to remind him how far to stay behind me and how to stay out of my space.

Kitty Bo said...

I don't think that you are asking too much of Mag. I think that you are an intuitive enough person that you would know if you were overloading him. The tail swishing can be disconcerting, but horses are horses, and yes, they can start challenging you after they become more confident. Horses challenge each other. No big deal. challenge might be too strong a word, too. This is where you are getting to know each other. Just continue be consistent and intuitive, which you are. And if occasionally you make a mistake, don't worry! You are a good handler.

lytha said...

Aarene, I've not considered pain because he wasn't giving me a tail swish until yesterday, and we'd done plenty of the movement before without it. It seems to be only to the left, but we'll see. It's not every time so it's simple for me to stop asking as soon as he does it without the swishing. Mara used to HIT ME with her tail purposefully, regularly as I groomed her, so I'm a little paranoid! Have you ever been purposefully hit by the tail of a horse?

KB, those words were going through my head yesterday - trust my intuition, and mistakes are gonna happen: ) Thanks for saying it.

Achieve1dream said...

I forgot to mention when the html is messed up on your post you can copy and paste the text into a notepad which should remove the html and turn it into pain text. Then copy and paste it back into blogger. I have that problem sometimes too. It's the easiest way for me to get rid of the formatting if the color is different or the font is wrong.

I don't think you're asking too much of Mag either. He's just excited. He will calm down when it all gets boring lol.

I'm trying to watch the Scottsdale show and some of them keep going off air. I really wanted to watch the driving class. I hope I don't miss it. The use of rollkur is making me want to scream. When did it becomes popular in western too?? They never give those poor horses a break to stretch out their necks either. Ugh.

Since the tail swishing started recently did you check between his legs? Maybe he has a tick or burr or something that rubs when he steps under himself. Just grasping at straws.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Frost flower? That's alien to me. It looks like feathers.

I laughed at your Clinton Anderson comment. I watched Downunder Horsemanship last night and was appalled by how rough he was with this young horse. I use his methods but don't beat my horses with a stick in the process. It takes a little more time for them to understand what you want when you are being gentle, but it also helps to relieve their stress when you are gentle. I've got Rock moving off the palm of my hand on his hip and sometimes with just me pointing now, and he lived up to his name when it came to moving his feet.

I'm glad that Mag is more relaxed than Mara during the initial exposure process.

hainshome said...

My first thought about the tail swishing is that sometimes horses do that when you've asked them to do suggesting a little difficult, and they have to work a little harder than they'd like. I don't think it's necessarily pissy, but maybe deep concentration/effort. Only you can tell, though, by facial expression and other body language.

lytha said...

Achieve, thanks, I'd forgotten that trick. I certainly hope there are no ticks during a hard freeze!

NM, didn't you have them in NV? I'll keep my eye out for them, they are so pretty and all different. I"m glad you agree that CA is too rough - even in his promo video the lady says, "He taught me to be more forceful." I wonder if you saw the same clip I did, the long one from years ago where he starts a little colt, and the poor thing is dripping sweat and shaking in fear much of the time. He gets fast results, but the poor horses! Even the ones he goes "slow" with are robots. W Schiller has mentioned raising the stress level for the horse, and then releasing it and taking it back and forth, so the horse stays sharp but also can relax. That's a new idea for me. He calls it balancing the horse.

Becky, I think you're right, there was no pissy body language other than the tail swish. So do you think Blue Hors Matine was concentrating that whole dressage test? Many would say so, I'm not sure. (It's the most googled dressage test, I think, easy to find)

Achieve1dream said...

Lol I forgot it's been so cold there. It's been so warm here that we still have ticks and mosquitoes. I keep finding tricks on my dog. So annoying!!

hainshome said...

I think horses swish their tails a lot in dressage, for that very reason. BHM sure did it vigorously, though! Maybe there was some "mare" thrown into the mix. ;)