Sunday, February 21, 2016

1st trim and too much excitement for me this week

I got my good trimmer, Claudia, to come out today, exactly one month since Mag's last trim. I hadn't touched his hooves with a rasp and was happy to see them once she started working, they are much healthier than I thought. She said to definitely stick cotton into the heel cracks to keep the medicine in and the mud out (for at least a few minutes).

Mag was very good for her because she took the time to cuddle with him and let him sniff her for quite a long time initially, and between each hoof.

When she first arrived I intercepted her on the way to the horse and said to come in the house and have a coffee with me, because Mag had just kicked me and I needed to calm down.

I had been spraying Mag's legs free of mud so she could actually find his hooves and he was pawing and dancing around a bit, but I kept the water low and stopped whenever he stood still. For some reason he decided it was too stressful today (we've done this twice before). He suddenly flipped in a circle, slid on the slippery geotiles, his hind end went out from under him and he crashed into the concrete block wall, scraping both hocks. His first injury here, *sigh* but thankfully the wounds are not deep, just a tiny bit of blood seeped out of one.

I did the donkey's legs and then moved back to finish his, and he was fine. I got him perfectly clean and then washed each hoof with vinegar, admiring my work. Clean hooves!

I wanted before pictures because I feel like his hooves were changing even before today. That's when Mag decided he didn't want to give me his RH hoof and he started jerking it away from me. I said "Hey, give me your foot!" and held on. He resisted and then BAM he kicked out and hit my camera and the thumb of that hand. The camera went flying through the air, hit the side of the barn, and landed in the muck a couple meters away from the barn. I slapped Mag and scolded a little bit, then I went in the house to get J.

I said, "He kicked me!" Then I thought about it. I don't think he kicked me, per se. I imagine if he had wanted to kick me, he'd have gotten me in the leg. He kicked out directly behind him, which is where the poor camera was.

J came with me and we told Mag everything is fine, and I went for the back legs again with J holding the camera this time. Mag gave me his hooves perfectly politely as if nothing had gone wrong, and J got some nice photos.

I feel bad for getting mad at him, but at that moment I honestly thought he had kicked at me, and I couldn't let that go. I need to remember that if he's trying to take a hoof away from me, it's most likely he's off balance and needs it, and perhaps needs it desperately (in his mind). It's unfair to ask him to stand on unlevel ground on a slippery surface. (Our driveway might be a better option.)

Claudia listened to my story and we went out there and I observed how she first made friends with him, and then asked him to pick up his hooves by simply bending over and putting her hand next to his leg - not touching it at all. Interesting. I realized right then that her bending over was the request to lift a leg.

When he got off balance and was standing on two legs, I said under my breath, "You strange horse, can't you stand normally" and Claudia scolded me, "You expect too much from him! He's young, have some patience!"  Later she said, "This horse is really well started."

Then she trimmed the donkey and recommended an x ray to see the internal structures because she's not sure how much she can safely remove. That sounded familiar from the other trimmer, so we'll do that. Mag felt left out while she trimmed Bellis, reaching over, picking up her hoof pick, biting his blanket that was hanging on the door...

Claudia said the donkey's hooves look better than last time, and I said I'd been trimming them when I had no horse. I acted surprised that they were better and she said I need to have more confidence in my abilities.

Before she left, I asked her to help me medicate his hocks and she saw the Neosporin and said, "You really shouldn't be putting antibiotics on yourself or your animals, there's a resistance epidemic."  Is is so old-fashioned of me to like my chemicals?

She hugged me and asked me if I love Mag. I said, "I fell for him when I first saw him in his stall, I didn't want to see any other horses."

I realized how much I feel for Mag on Thursday, when he coughed suddenly just standing there, 6 times in a row. I panicked; I was shaking as I called the vet to please come out. I couldn't stand it, I was home alone and had no one to talk to, I was so scared that Mag's infection had never truly healed, despite the bill we just got saying his entire respiratory system is healthy.

The vet came two days later and listened and listened, and even plugged Mag's nose to auscultate a deep breath, and said at that point he heard a little something, but very slight, so he gave me an expectorant to give him twice daily.

The vet said not to worry, he's fine. The vet told him how pretty he is: )

And finally I got the answer to a question I've had for a while. Why does the State Stud in Poland purposefully breed horses to be born in early January? I looked and they had 10 new babies this year in January alone, and Mag's birthday is the 1st. My vet said they do this because a horse born in January is 4 or 5 months more mature for its age group than those born at the normal time. And for a 3 year old race horse, these months make a huge difference in their maturity.

Is this true? Does anyone know why breeders would plan for January births?

Oh, one more thing in case you missed it. My camera is fine. Next time I'm home, I'll test it by dropping it off the Space Needle, cuz it must be indestructible.

12 comments:

Cricket said...

Racehorses are all given the birthdate of 1/1/xxxx in any given year, regardless of when they are actually born. Sounds like the Polish stud follows this format if Mags bday is the first. Breeders try to time babies as close to the 1st of the year, without the foal coming early since a 12/31/xxxx is considered a full year old as of 1/1xxxx, early January babies have longer to mature by the time they begin racing at two.

Kitty Bo said...

Ah, true confessions of a horse owner. When in an adrenaline moment,we react. I doubt any of us can throw stones at you for responding the way you did. What's important is to ponder what happened and re-evaluate, and that's what you did. How wonderful you had your trimmer there to help you calm down. It's scary when horses get physical.

lytha said...

KB, oh dear you both have those initials. Karen, Although I cannot claim to understand why the racing industry dates their horses like that, the explanation I got from my vet (and you) makes perfect sense. Mara had a "replacement passport" and a birthdate of 1/1, which is obviously false, used when unknown. However I went to the Michalow Stud's website and they purposefully breed horses to be born in January, and so I believe Mag's bdate is actually 1/1 (also confirmed from the seller). Mag wasn't in the group of "raced" horses, I wonder why. But I understand now why race horses need to be born as early in the year as possible, but not Dec 31! http://csu-cvmbs.colostate.edu/Documents/case-advancing-breeding-season.pdf


KB, it is difficult for me to admitting such amateur mistakes, but I always appreciate honesty when I read blogs, so here it is: ) I remember when a blogger said "I got kicked, but it was my fault." I always criticized her in my mind for feeling that way. Hopefully now my mind is slightly more open. Especially since Mara kicked me intentionally once...and I feel I deserved it.

TeresaA said...

To be honest I'm okay with you scolding him for kicking out. A horse needs to learn to that it's not acceptable to kick when around a human. He may have been sending you a warning by deliberately missing (as they do with each other). I understand that kicking is an instinct and one we must always be wary of but the more we can inhibit the kicking around us the safer we'll be.

As for the birth year- the horses born early are more physically mature than later horses and it helps if there are classes based on age (e.g., 3 year old futurity etc).

lytha said...

Teresa, that's very kind of you to say. I wonder if you're right about deliberately missing, but since I didn't have the right perspective, I won't know, unless it happens again....

ellie k said...

After taking a fall earlier he might have been a bit nervous about standing on three legs on an uneven place.

Becky Bean said...

Being off balance and jerking a hoof away in distress is impolite but totally understandable, especially in a green horse.

Buuut.... at no point in regaining balance does a horse need to kick out backwards, warning or otherwise. If he slipped on mud or felt unsteady on pavement just on his own he wouldn't kick out backwards to regain balance- that's him expressing frustration with you, whether or not he intended to make contact. There are plenty of other, safer ways for him to express frustration with what you're asking, you know?

My old TB Jubilee was born late May.... and he raced as a two year old, which meant they probably started saddle breaking him at a year and a half..... and that when he did race, he was racing as a two year old against horses that were 2.5 years old - a big difference. Even aside from racing, If they show their arabs (and it looks like they do), then showing a horse who is 2.5 in a two year old class would mean it would fill out better and look a lot bigger next to colts and fillies that have barely turned two, you know?

I'm glad you're so in love with him. It makes my heart happy for you.

AareneX said...

Others have already commented on the birthday thing. Here in the Swamp and even more in the Great White North, racehorse breeders need to balance the age advantage at the track for a slightly older horse against the upbringing advantage at the farm for a horse born in Spring (when grass is up) over a Winter-born foal. I know that a lot of the BC Standardbreds were foaled in April, although their "birthdays" are January 1. The general feeling here is that being reared on fresh grass makes for stronger (and slightly less expensive) foals.

The birthday thing works for hockey players too, who knew? Hockey players with January/February birthdays are much more likely to go pro than their peers born in November/December because in junior leagues they are grouped together by birth year, and the slightly-older kids have an advantage over the youngers. Malcolm Gladwell wrote about it in Outliers, a book I didn't intend to read, but started the first chapter and ignored my family for the rest of the day so I could finish it. Fascinating stuff.

As for kicking, I'm working with a horse who kicked out today--gave some non-verbal warning first (mouth tight, head up, body tense), and Patty alerted me, so I was ready with a slap/push when he did. We checked for soreness and found nothing: he was trying to see if he could be the boss. He tried a few other tricks too, the "I won't lift my foot for you and you can't make me" trick, and the "I no longer allow a bit in my mouth" trick. Naughty pony. Of course, he did capitulate and we had a nice ride. He will probably try a few more things. I am the first person to make him work in several years, and he prefers a life of leisure. Silly horse: if you behave yourself, I'm gonna find you a happy ending!!!

I don't know if Mag was trying to be boss, or just experimenting, or what. But I've seen horses kick at each other and then forgive/forget promptly when the situation is resolved. I think (unless it becomes a habit) he'll be fine--and yes, he needs to know that ALL KICKING AT PEOPLE is bad, no matter how valid his reasons.

Glad the camera survived.

lytha said...

Becky, so you would have smacked him too? Regarding the age thing in race/show horses, why did it take me so long to learn this? Life is too short to learn everything I need to know about horses.

Aarene, I think it's the same camera that you have, the red one. It sounds like you would have punished him too, regardless of his reasons for kicking out. You like hockey!!?!

AareneX said...

All kicking at people is bad. I don't care why. If you need to express yourself, do it in a way that isn't dangerous!

Becky Bean said...

Llytha - Absolutely. I would have smacked him on a meaty area HARD (my version of hard is nowhere near horse hard, especially if it's open-palm. Also, I find the sound bugs the horse worse than the actual contact) with a very loud verbal correction - like, a level 9 response..... and then taken a few seconds to calm myself and allow him to process it, before doing my best to matter of factly resume my work. Like Aarene says - horses scuffle, but they tend to go back to harmony almost immediately. They don't resent what they consider "fair" corrections.

Every horse is different, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mag tries one more time, just to make sure you're serious. All horses (and children) are a little bit like the Jurassic Park velociraptors - gotta test the fences just to make sure they're still "hot". :)

Achieve1dream said...

I think they do that with racehorses to make entries simpler. They don't have to keep track of birthdays that way. They can just enter them based on the year they are born. So yes they try to have them born in January so they have an advantage over the less mature horses born later in the year.

Chrome has "kicked" me twice in the almost six and a half years I've had him. The first time was when I was doing his back stretch exercises. I was standing directly behind him like I'd done millions of times. He doesn't like doing those stretches and I asked one two many times. He picked his hind leg up threateningly but I was standing so close he got me even though he didn't kick out. You can bet I smacked him for that! It's on video actually lol. The second time he was grazing in very tall grass and I walked behind him. I don't think he could see me. He heard something and kicked out. Got me in the leg. I was so shocked I didn't do anything that time. He was young for both of those. Since maturing he hasn't threatened to bite or kick. I wouldn't be mad at Mag, but I wouldn't be upset about smacking him either. Horses don't hold grudges when we have knee jerk reactions like that. They are just more careful next time.

I'm glad their hooves are doing well. Mine were trimmed today and I noticed a smell so gonna have to soak them again.... Ugh.