Monday, February 15, 2016

Pick me

This is what the donkey says when I have a tube of wormer in my hand. She loves the stuff, no matter what kind. Funnily, if I have soap or lotion on my hand, she won't eat the tainted carrot I'm holding out.

Today I gave both animals an entire tube of Pyrantel (pamoate) each. With Pyrantel it's safe to go over the weight mark and giving slightly too much is better than too little.

Mara couldn't stand wormer because she couldn't stand people touching her mouth. The tip of the syringe poked her and she hated that. I have no idea how she felt about the taste of wormer, I am positive the syringe was the rough part for her, so I learned to be very gentle and align the thing parallel to her lips and not jam it straight in.

Anyway, I had no idea what to expect with Mag, so after dosing the donkey I just gave him his too and he had this shocked look on his face. I asked him if it felt like being stung by a hundred bees in his mouth. I rubbed his neck a while and was very grateful that he stood there tied.

Now I'm looking at my records and see that it's been 12 months since Bellis last had Ivermectin and that's overdue, especially since donkeys can transmit lung worms to horses and Ivermectin/Moxidectin is the only thing that kills them. I'll have to dose them with Ivermectin next.

***

I've become concerned with feeding time aggression because they both look forward to their beet pulp so much. Mag has started giving Bellis dirty looks. The other day I thought for one moment his dirty look was aimed at me (although it was probably the donkey) so I backed him up as far as I could in that small area and waited for him to stand looking at me with pricked ears before letting him have his bucket.

I realize now that this situation could get worse, simply because the paddock area is too small for me to get them fully away from me when I put down the buckets.

So this morning I shooed them out of the paddock, hoping they'd stay there while I got the buckets, but Mag thought I was asking them to go to pasture, so he went. OK then. A few hours later they were back, and I tried my new idea. I got a lunge whip out and got them out of the paddock completely and kept them there while placing their buckets down. When Bellis tried to come before I was done, I flicked the whip at her and she went back out. Then I carefully left the area, exiting with the whip in case they rushed after me.

It seems to be the simplest solution. When I asked J about it he said, "Just put them in their stalls to give them their buckets." But that is so much more work for me - catching them both and locking them in, and then returning an hour later to let them out again, twice daily....I'd rather not.

But I trust myself that I can find a solution that is both simple for me, and safe for everyone.

Funnily, Baasha used to glare and glare at Bellis at feedtime.....as they shared the same hay bag. "IT'S MINE!" and her answer was, "You may think so but you won't really act on that."

It's another way our little farm is far from ideal - our paddock area is so small it's difficult to even work on hooves (it's not level), much less move a horse out of your way. If it were a little bigger, and flatter, I'd be able to do ground work there, but it's nearly impossible. The geotiles are also slippery and I've fallen down a couple times, my feet just sliding out from under me. The donkey really doesn't like it when I fall down suddenly! And of course everywhere else is squishy deep mud, so I have to get creative when I want to train my horse.

Although Mag stood still while tied today, letting me treat his feet and wash his tail, he has some anxiety about haltering for some reason and often will turn and walk away when I approach with it. I just follow him because there's nowhere to go, until he stops and I halter him and walk away from him. Today after worming, I let him go and waited a bit, and then came back to him with a halter and he was fine.

It snowed all day today non-stop, but the tiniest of flakes that melted on pavement, putting only a layer of powdered sugar on our garden and trees. The snowflakes were gorgeous, that's my kind of snow. I sprinkled salt in the paddock but it wasn't needed.

It should stop by tomorrow and then maybe I'll take Mag out again.

5 comments:

EvenSong said...

A couple of management thoughts:
My vet told me not to bother putting Pyrantel into my rotation, unless it was a new horse that might have a heavy worm load (and I don't know about Mag--sounds like maybe it's new to him) or a weak or compromised horse (very young or very old or I'll). He says it is so mild that it's hardly worth it. I alternate ivermectin and moxidectrin every three months, and add a combo with praziquantel after the first hard frost in the early winter.
I'm wondering if J's idea would work without necessarily locking them in? Just having their own space (with an effort needed to go all the way around through the paddock to get to the other space) might be enough to curb the aggression. I can do that with most of my paired up boarders, unless one eats considerably faster than the other, or one gets specific supplements/melds...
So happy for your new adventures! I can totally identify with your mud frustration! My arena is finally (almost) snow-free, but now I have to wait for it to dry out.

appydoesdressage said...

Could you leave the stalls open when you feed the beet pulp? Instead of locking them up, put them in their stalls and feed them but leave their doors open.

lytha said...

Evensong (Always with that awesome Pearl Jam song in my head when I type that - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxKWTzr-k6s) - the paddock is between the stall and the feed room, unfortunately. I have no escape: ) This place is just poorly designed, by me. : (

.....Enjoying the Pearl Jam song as I type.... - well, *blush* I am Gen X from Seattle after all.

The Pyrantel came in the year pack, honestly, so that's why I used it. I never knew it was too mild to be worth much, but I like to change the medicine as often as possible in the year because that is how I learned it. I know things are changing. Please point me to some articles so I can figure out what the best way is in 2016. I was able to get a lot of wormer (2 year packs) through Valley Vet on my last trip to America, and when I showed my vet, he said, "This would cost a fortune in Germany...."

Appy, Please see what I said to EvenSong, it's a tricky situation here. I've learned my lesson in designing horse areas now.

Achieve1dream said...

You're smart to pay attention to the signs early regarding feeding and aggression. I was completely caught off guard with Rocky and I am fortunate we were in a large area. If it had been small hubby easily could have gotten run over. Rocky is completely over the human aggression now but is still ugly to Chrome (but will let the donkey eat out of the same bucket), so if he is chasing Chrome I scold him until he stands still and looks at me nicely. Then I feed him. It's gotten a lot better.

I have to stand out there and wait for them to finish eating because Rocky finishes first. I wish I had stalls to lock them in when it's cold and rainy, but I have forgotten to let them out before at the old place lol. Chrome never seemed to mind though. :-)

EvenSong said...

Lytha, here is one example rotation from Colorado State University, that does Pyrantel, so I guess it's not out of line. http://csu-cvmbs.colostate.edu/Documents/recommended-equine-deworming-schedule.pdf. It was just something my vet said. I did find a discussion at SmartPak as to the why? Of it: http://blog.smartpakequine.com/2011/12/no-more-deworming-rotation-chart/\uc0\u8236 \
I would love to see fecal egg counts on everybody here, but it's just too expensive when I have 9 (nine!). May be worth your while with a pretty much closed herd of two.