Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Mara gets more fans

I had a miserable ride on Mara yesterday. I have to ride her because people might want to check her out. I hate that feeling of "I must ride that horse." I mostly led her on the short loop near our house, and she seemed very sleepy. Then I got on to ride a couple minutes. She stood like a statue for me on mounting, very nice. Then she moved forward calmly when I asked. Then we turned a corner in the trail and everything changed. She started gawking at everything, and weaving around trying to avoid scary trees and branches and sap marks. So annoying, why can't she just walk up the trail she was just on 2 minutes ago? Toward home? I bent her side to side and insisted she bend her entire body at every scary thing. A few times I stopped and asked her to just stand still which she did just fine. Then I jumped off and sighed, why can't she be OK in our own woods?







Today everything was different. I ground drove her on the loop and got on finally. She started bushwhacking by choice, something so cute, and acted like she was having fun. Then she did this odd little refusal that wasn't. I didn't know what that was about, was her leg stuck in a hole? I asked her to move again and then she did that weird refusal again. I looked down and stupid me, I'd forgotten to tie up my rope and it was dragging on the ground, and she had stepped on it, stopping herself. I don't think I've made that mistake in 20 years. I apologized to her and put the rope up.

We continued along, and did some nice lateral movements for fun. In 3 hours 2 ladies were going to come see her.

3 hours later, the ladies met Mara and fell in love with her. They were not only amazed at her manners standing untied for grooming and saddling, giving her hooves politely, moving over with a finger touch, they both rode her walk, trot and canter in the woods. Mara was on her best behavior, which I interpreted as, "Take me home with you, get me out of here!"







Indeed when the more experienced lady got off her, Mara turned her face to nuzzle her. I'm sure Mara appreciated having her aboard, that lady was an excellent rider. The lady was impressed and said, "She's so light, so responsive, so easy to ride, and her trot is so comfortable you can just sit there." She gave her friend some tips before she got on, "You don't need to put much pressure at all on the reins, nor with your legs, she responds to the lightest signal." The other lady w/t/cantered as well, back and forth on this mostly flat area in the woods. They both grinned.

Afterwards they wanted to talk about a sell contract immediately, but I recommended a pre-purchase exam, or at least that they contact my vet and my chiropractor. They say if they can talk to those people, it will suffice, they trust me. They especially appreciated that I was honest about her sarcoid, and they say they will talk to their vet about sarcoids, whether they are deal breakers or not.

They took pics and video the entire time they were here, and it made me feel so good about myself when they said "You obviously put a lot of work into this horse, she has such good manners, especially compared to the other sale horses we've seen lately."

I wanted to show off at that point so I showed them how Mara works on the lunge line. Mara can really move, it's getting her to go slow that is the hard part, but she responded to all my verbal cues perfectly, and the ladies mentioned that too, joking that they might have to learn English to talk to Mara.


I would love for her to go to an experienced owner, so I was pretty excited.

The next day they called to say the sarcoid was a deal breaker. I was surprised, but I understand we all have our deal breakers. For me it's fetlocks that touch the ground when a horse is simply trotting.










A few days later I got a phone call from another knowledgeable lady who asked all the right questions, but also wanted to know if one of the photos on her ad is accurate, that she is slightly rump-high. Yes, she is, I said, but it hasn't affected her dressage work. That was a deal breaker for that lady. Hm!

People seem to want absolute perfection for a very small price.

6 comments:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

That is odd that a sarcoid would be a deal breaker. Lostine has had a sarcoid and Bombay has had both sarcoids and melanomas, and once they were removed they did not come back. I haven't seen one on them in years. I wonder if the first lady would have bought her if you didn't bring up the pre-purchase exam. You know that psychology of people wanting what is right in front of them, but once they walk away, the attachment is gone.

Kitty Bo said...

I think it is good you are honest. If they really, really wanted the horse, it wouldn't have been a deal breaker. You did the right thing. For me, the right person has always come along, even for that big butted appy I had--a person who understood Appaloosas. And I am immensely proud of you with what a good horse you have turned Mara into. Horses that I sold always left better trained horses, and I could be proud of that, and you can, too.

lytha said...

NM, I suppose it's possible that sarcoids turn worse, unmanageable even. Worst case scenario. I guess I can understand the fear, but I've had no experience with sarcoids previously. I'm glad to hear yours are no problem, and they were treated effectively. I wonder what procedure you had for yours, since so many are not effective?

KB, It makes me feel so good to hear this - as you know, I've never done this before. I've done so much with horses, but I've never sold one. It was so rewarding to hear the comments of the potential buyers. The last one, yesterday, said, "You don't give up a horse like THIS." OK then: )

irish horse said...

It sounds like she is showing well to those that come to see her, so that is great. There will always be picky people, who I am sure will regret passing on her! As for the person who thought she was butt high but didn't ride, probably good, I imagine if someone judges too much from a photo that you might not want them to come out!

What an ordeal, I'm sadly sure there is more to come...

AareneX said...

Hana came to us without sarcoids, and within a year developed an enormous one on her chest (right where the breastcollar ring was, we had to pad it) and one on her inner leg.

They stayed, unchanged, for the 6 years she was boarded. We moved her to our house and 2 months later, the sarcoids were gone. When we sold her and she moved to a different boarding barn, we warned that they might return, but the never have.

So, there's that.

And you do know that Fiddle is rump-high, right? 2 or 3 inches higher at the bum than at the withers, and her withers are HUGE. But only when she's standing still. When she moves out at the trot, she's 2 or 3 inches lower at the bum.

So, there's that!

I agree with other comments: these are not real deal-breakers, they are excuses for deal-breaking. Which is okay. If they don't want the mare, they shouldn't have her!

Achieve1dream said...

She is so gorgeous and you really have done a great job with her. Someone is going to come along that wants a sensitive arena horse and will love her. Everyone else is just practice haha!!