Saturday, September 5, 2015

A nice family comes to visit

The rain didn't stop this family from coming to see my horse. Anne is a friend of my friend in Wuppertal. My Wuppertal friend is who I leased a TB from, and who came and got Mara last year so we could ride in Wuppertal again together. I was happy she was willing to ask around, and had found someone in Wuppertal, because wouldn't it be nice if Mara was close by? I'm in Wuppertal regularly for family things.

Anne's daughter Luna is 12, and she fell in love at first sight with Mara. She was a very sweet, respectful little girl, a pleasure to have around. Everything that came out of her mouth was positive.

I got Mara ready and the family followed me down the street as I ground drove Mara to the trails. As soon as we were in the woods, the little girl asked to ride, and we put her on. Mara stood perfectly still as we adjusted the stirrups, and I said, "I won't let her move until you're comfortable up there, so let me know when." Finally she said, "OK!" and I led Mara up and down the trails, with the parents following. Eventually I unclipped the lead and the little girl took over, although we were walking side by side. Anne told Luna to be gentle with the reins.

As we went back and forth along that mostly flat section of trail, the little girl was gushing about how wonderful Mara is, listing all her good qualities to her parents in case they weren't paying attention. "She's so comfortable to ride, I feel at home on her back! She holds still for mounting! She steers so easily! She's so beautiful!" I had even put Mara's jewelry on and Luna loved that.

Finally it was Anne's turn to ride and the little girl obediently gave her mother a turn. Her mother rode off without us to get to know Mara a bit. Luna was grinning and twirling around impatiently, and started questioning the father, "Can we have her? Can we please? She's perfect!" and the father said, "It's up to your mom. If your mom comes back to us with a smile on her face, she's probably going to want her."

We all stood there silently peering through the trees, trying to make out her expression in the distance. When she finally rode up, she was grinning. Luna yelled, "SHE'S SMILING, THE HORSE IS OURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Anne wanted to ride Mara down the hill and instantly Mara balked with her, "Not going down the hill" - but Anne tapped her with her heels and Mara agreed to go down a ways, then they bush whacked their way up.  Whew. I really do think Mara's done with that balking crap for the most part.

We let Luna ride all the way home, but on the paved streets of our neighborhood, I put the lead back on. We let her stop for apples at the apple tree, but they were worried about her eating with a bit in. I never worry about that, but OK.

Back home, we were all soaked but they wanted to just hang out with Mara. Mara was eating her hay and the little girl kept going over and petting her, then she came out and said, "You guys please keep talking so I can spend more time with this horse!"

At one point the little girl and the father started fake wrestling and I don't think my donkey has seen people rough-housing before, she got the most worried look on her face and came right over to them.

Then they told me they'd call me with their answer, but they were pretty sure it would be a yes.

As they drove away I hoped so much she'd end up in Wuppertal with a nice lady and an adoring kid to love her.

***

3 days later they called and said they would like to buy her. They came back to put a down payment on her and sign the contract, and the little girl had bought a brand new halter and lead rope. A new horse needs a new halter of course.

They asked for more accessories but I wouldn't part with my saddle. Instead I gave them that Schneiders blanket I don't like, as well as a Jammies shoulder guard, and an Oster brush. I offered the set of 4 Easyboot gloves for 100E, and offered a leather bridle and more gentle brushes for free.

Anne had brought her brother here to give his opinion on her because he's also a horse owner. He really liked Mara and would slap her on the rump very loudly in that way old-timers do with horses. J was certain he was doing it as a test to see if she'd kick him, but some people just like to whack on horses. He gave his approval but Luna already knew Mara was good.

Luna said, "She's the best horse in the entire world!"

They still needed to arrange for transport and settle on a boarding barn in Wuppertal, so it took a while before I heard from them again.

It sure looked like love:









11 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Bedouin always treated their mares like queens. I swear some Arabian mares are born knowing this. Mara probably thinks it's about time her real subjects found her. I'm so happy for both of you.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

"Looked" like love. That last statement kind of scares me. It makes it sound like they backed out. You're going to leave us hanging, huh? I hope they did buy her and everyone lived happily ever after.

Kitty Bo said...

I understand. It ain't over 'til it's over. But they do sound perfect. I have an online friend who had an Arabian mare that no matter what she did, and she put a lot of positive training into her, she still had issues. She sold her to her trainer as a school horse with young girls, and the horse did great. Horses can pick their people, too, despite our best efforts.

Piccolopony said...

Such a cliff hanger ending!

T said...

Ahhhh! Leaving us hanging :) I hope it has worked out, they sound lovely

irish horse said...

I'm nervous, don't leave us hanging!

EvenSong said...

Oh! I agree with NM, it sounds like there is more to the story!
It sounds like a lovely visit, especially compared to the last family. And it seems Mara was on her best behavior. What are their plans for her? Will they eventually come up against some of her issues?
Fingers crossed for the happy ending!

kbryan said...

I'm worried about that last statement too. . . They sound like a lovely family, and I hope that Mara finds a home with people like that. Will Bellis freak out when Mara goes? Sooooo, did they take her?

Camryn said...

Awwwwww, maybe all Mara really needed was a little girl to gush all over her. I'll be rooting for a happy ending. I know while my mare comes to me quite easily from her field, she only comes a running whenever my grandson is with me.

AareneX said...

Finally, the right kind of kid.

Yay!

Achieve1dream said...

This has me so hopeful!!!! I hope it works out! They sound perfect!