Sunday, September 6, 2015

My last ride on Mara

After I got the downpayment I was pretty confident she was actually sold. The contract was signed, afterall.

I did live in suspense for an 8 day period though, when there was a communication error and I thought she'd call me, and she thought the same. Oops. They said they had arranged transport for Wednesday the 2nd.

Although she said I can come ride her anytime, I have no desire to do that. I'll be happy to drive by and see her in a field, or visit her stall in Winter.

I decided to try to have fun riding her one last time on Tuesday.

In fact, I decided to test her balking behavior by taking her to her most dreaded hill, a steep, muddy switchback going down to the watershed. I'd only ridden her down it once before, because she balks so much.

But the last year I've gotten a handle on her balking and I wanted to see if she's fixed in that regard.

As soon as I put her on that hill she slowed to a stop and got ready to wait me out. She hadn't been gnashing her bit in stress, but she was snorting with every breath, and looking at every tree stump.

NOT GOING DOWN THE HILL, she said. I lightly tapped her with my heels....and it worked, she changed her mind. Yes! That was the biggest test, and she passed it - and I'll call her balking behavior solved because she gives it up when I politely insist.

I don't know exactly what changed in her mind, to decide obeying is nicer than standing for an hour, but finally I can feel good about this. Probably it was just cumulative instances of my asking but not escalating, it became easier to just comply. I'm pretty sure it's not that she's more comfortable in the woods.

She walked down the hill very slowly, sliding in the mud and zigzagging back and forth, trying to not slip. I let her do whatever she wanted, go as slow as she needed, as long as she stayed on the trail for the most part and proceeded. It was a very very long hill that day.

At the bottom I put her nose into a little tree and said one last time, "Eat the tree!" but she was looking around for enemies. Finally I got her to take one little nibble, but she wasn't happy about it.

As I'd promised her, we turned around and headed right back up the switchback for home. And then she started really looking for danger. Perhaps navigating was so difficult on the way down, she couldn't think as much about it, but on the way up, every tree was suspicious.

I asked her to stop at one point and just stand, and we did until she sighed. Good girl, go on then.

Although she was very tense, I asked for a trot for one last time. Such a lovely easy trot she has in the woods, I can just sit down, no need to post.

At the top of the hill, walking again, I asked for lateral movements and that she drop her head, just to remind her she can do these things. She did them nicely, and I got off.

I said I'd try to have fun, and I did try - as much fun as I could possibly have on a horse who is never relaxed even on our closest to home trails.

We were both soaking wet, there was a steady soaking rain the entire time.

I took her to the fallen apple spot and let her eat apples for a while, and enjoyed my last moments there with her, delighted I'd never have to do it again.

That's it! I took all my tack into the house and washed it and I'll put it in storage.

It's a strange feeling but mostly good.













9 comments:

KendraLion said...

I am happy that you are doing the best thing for both you and Mara. It seems the family will fit well and you bo longer have to stress out and feel unhappy.

Nicole A said...

Despite this post, after your previous post I'm still on pins & needles too! Mainly because of the first sentences in this post.

If she really, really did end up with that lovely family, I am thrilled for both you and her.

Kitty Bo said...

I've said it many times before, I am very proud of you for what you have accomplished with Mara. She will leave a better horse. You are doing the right thing, but my heart goes to you because surely you have feelings about all this, on both sides.

Oak Creek Ranch said...

This is great news. I'm glad you found a good home for Mara. Sometimes we need to do that. She wasn't a good fit for you and this way you found a home for her where she can just be loved -- I don't think she is cut out for trails; you certainly gave it your best shot.

AareneX said...

Not a good fit. This is clear.

I wonder what comes next?

irish horse said...

I'm still a little anxious too. But what a bittersweet ride, reminding you of the good and bad parts of your partnership.

kbryan said...

You taught Mara so much and have been a wonderful owner to her. She has benefitted by being with you, and I want you to be proud of all you DID accomplish with her. I am hoping that everything goes smoothly with her being sold to the nice family (we readers are still nervious about the transaction being finalized because buying a horse is a pretty big deall, after all). Please let us know how you are feeling about all this, and also, how is Bellis taking her being gone? Maybe you should have made them a package deal. :\

Melissa-ParadigmFarms said...

I think it is a happy ending, and happy new start, for both of you.

Achieve1dream said...

I know this is the best thing for all involved, but I'm still teary eyed at the thought of her leaving. So did they get her? They had transport set up for the second.... don't leave us hanging please! I have my fingers crossed that it all worked out well.