Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Mara knows she did something good

Pictures and video to come, but I just had to type something now cuz I'm so thrilled with Mara.

We just had our 5th lesson with KT, and it was rough for Mara cuz she couldn't focus, and KT was complaining about my stirrups, and my lack of riding the last 5 days, blaming me for my horse being distracted, not empathizing with me that it was body temperature outside and I had to stay inside....

Anyway I got on and KT reminded me to think before I ask, to plan in my head, and to see movements in my head to perfect them. OK OK slow down, I can try it: )

Then for the first time she asked me to canter in the arena. I've only done little bits of arena cantering cuz it's so uneven in there and difficult for Mara. She told me to ask where the arena starts to go uphill again. I did, and Mara cantered an entire half of a circle, and I was so pleased, I jumped off her back and hugged her.

And Mara nickered at me. It was as if she was saying, "I was good, huh?" and then KT came over to praise Mara and rub her face and Mara nickered at her too! As if to say, "Did you see? I was good!"

I've never had a horse do that. Once I had a horse fall down with me and nicker as soon as its owner came running, but that was a bad situation.

Mara was happy, and obviously is starting to really get the hang of her arena work, even if we're still at baby steps.

That she enjoys her job makes me proud, even on a bad day.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool - your relationship is getting stronger!

Dawn will nicker at me - very softly, almost mare/foal - when I walk up to her and speak to her while grooming. It's lovely.

Annalise said...

Cookie!

Mara earned one, and so did you!

AareneX said...

(It was me commenting about a cookie earlier--the computer I was using was signed onto somebody else's account)

I'm so HAPPY!

Progress, even small progress is gratifying. More importantly, you now have proof that SHE understands that working is a good thing!

Bakersfield Dressage said...

Nice job. :0)

Crystal said...

Yay how cool :)

Zoe said...

Well done Mara, you did good girl xx

Jennifer said...

Cool! What a heartwarming feeling. <3

Achieve1dream said...

That is so awesome!!!!!!!!! Yay!!

Oak Creek Ranch said...

Mare nickers are the best! I'm so happy that the two of you are doing so well. I just love Mara.