Thursday, March 31, 2011

Hoof day

I finally got a natural hoofcare practitioner out today after way too long without consultation.

First I was happy to hear her say, "You've been doing this yourself? They look great!"

Then she asked how long he's had that toe crack. "23 years." "OK then!"

She is a follower of Bowker, Jackson and Ramey and we had much to agree upon about hooves.

I was glad she wanted to see him move - so many people just look at the structure and not the movement. She noticed right away that he lands crooked on his club foot - he lands outside-to-inside.

She tried to work on that but in the end we didn't see much improvement in the hoof landing. I'll keep at it and see. We both agree that the feet don't have to match, each foot must be handled independently.

Beforehand I not only picked but washed and scrubbed each foot and ankle. I put each foot in a bucket and brushed the heck out of them inside and out. I was careful not to use soap because I didn't want to mask any smells. She put her nose right into the frogs and said his hinds still need treatment. They look so much better but I'll keep at it.

As she worked she told me she does classical riding after Philippe Karl's school, and she owns a boarding facility that has implemented Paddock Paradise tracks and also computer-chip-assisted feeding stations. It turns out I'd seen her on TV in a special on Artgerecht Pferdehaltung - which translates "species-appropriate care." They call it a "Movement Barn" although there is no barn. Food, water, salt, shelter is all spaced out over the acreage on a track system and sand hills and environmental enrichment items are added too.

I look forward to touring her place in person - it's only about 5 miles from here.

I was happy to see her car is filled with easyboots and renegades. I told her it is not enough to be a barefoot trimmer, one must also help people transition by fitting hoof boots. The boots must fit precisely or else they don't work and people who ride outside of arenas have to go back to shoes. (This is confusing because what we call boots they call shoes, and what we call shoes they call irons. What we call irons they call hangers....)

What I did not like was her trimming Baasha's soles. She said she was looking for dead sole but he only had a bit on his hinds. I said, "That is something I never do with a knife - I only use a hoofpick to remove chalkiness." She said he didn't really have much to remove.

She attacked the frogs more aggressively than I do as well, I'm way too conservative there - I only trim off obvious flaps but she did more than that.

Interestingly she did not work the walls much. I don't let Baasha's feet get long so there wasn't much to do there. The hinds she filed a little, and the club foot got most of her attention. She got the flare rasped back and I have to admit it looks much prettier now.

I'll include two sets of photos. The first is her work, the second set is mine from a month ago.

The white line is stretched enough to let grit become wedged that you find with a rasp. You can see the difference in the two sets of photos, probably due to the grass starting to grow. I'm still not sure where the bruising is coming from because it's been a while since we've had frozen ground.

I'm sorry I did not wash the feet again in the first set of photos because simply standing on the stall mats blurred his white line. I was taking the photos as she worked and didn't want to interrupt.

For fun and shock value I'll add photos of Baasha's LF and RF from 2008 when he was in quarantine.

Here's a trivia question for hoof geeks - what do you think could cause a strong event line on only one hoof?

There are three views of each hoof. I gave up trying to label these individually because blogger doesn't have a working wisiwig (as far as I can tell).










































































































































































15 comments:

Anonymous said...

She does sound pretty good - and I'll bet her "stabling" arrangement is pretty unusual in Germany, from your description of other stables.

His feet do look pretty nice - good work by you doing all that yourself.

Unknown said...

I'd love to see her place- thru you, of course!

I'm impressed, Baasha's feet look great.

Rising Rainbow said...

It must be in the air, this is the third hoof post in a row I have read this morning. It always tickles me when I see that connection even though we're so far apart. LOL

Baasha's feet look great and her place sounds very interesting.

juliette said...

Great post, Lytha! Please, please, please share photos and stories if/when you go to her facility! It sounds very interesting.

I am in awe of you doing all the work yourself. I need to get my three patient enough to stand for me to learn and then do it too. I think it will be some years until I am ready for that! Well done you!

Achieve1dream said...

Wow her place sounds great! I agree I would like to see pictures when you visit if she doesn't mind.

Chrome's frogs looked like that until I started using salt water. I just put salt in a spray bottle, fill with water, shake it up, clean the hooves and then spray the bottoms with the salt water. It kills thrush and hardens up the soles and frogs. :)

What a difference when he came out of quarantine wow!

East Bound said...

you do a great job with his feet and she also sounds like a good trimmer. I still have farrier's doing my horse's trims and they never do a nice mustang roll. I like to play with my rasp every few months to offset the coast of a trim, $45!!, but i'm nowhere near as talented as you!

Crystal said...

They look pretty good. I have never tried hoof boots, but have thought about it with my mare whos the only one whos feet get a little temder.

I would love to hear more about her stable as well.

D'Nae said...

His feet do look nice! I'm curious, are you self-taught or did you have any sort of trimming education? I have tossed around the idea of going to a trimming school during the summer. I have not found a farrier near me that I am comfortable with and it drives me crazy that I don't feel knowledgeable enough to say exactly why.

Dom said...

Good to see nice looking hooves on my blog list :)

lytha said...

I will definitely ask if I can take photos when we tour her place. Not sure when we'll have a chance - maybe spring break.

I will definitely use the word definitely as much as possible to offset the thousands of times I have to look at it wrong. *lol*

Achieve, the salt water container is in my barn too but it is what I use for scratches. I may try it on the frogs too. I usually rinse the frogs with vinegar.

Red Hot Ruby, I had my barefoot trimmer instruct me when I first brought Baasha to Germany. I also have the Ramey DVD set which is a lot of information, and I'm part of some barefoot forums (German and English). I learn a lot online but every once in a while a professional's eyes are required.

White Horse Pilgrim said...

Those are nice looking feet. I like the wide frogs.

The barefoot trimmer that I use (a slightly built lady, incidentally) also uses a knife to remove exfoliating sole - but not very much at each trim.

I quite agree that most owners need help in getting the best from boots. Ours prefers Old Macs, and I guess that each make has its supporters.

smazourek said...

I have some bad news for you- Baasha's feet are full of overgrown bar- that ain't sole you're looking at. Also some of the heels look a little too high and the coronary band says you've still got some quarter pressure on that club foot (This is very hard, I know because I have that problem with my clubbed hooves).

Anyway, looking forward to seeing those crazy navicular packages!

Funder said...

His feet are beautiful! Much improved from '08, poor thing.

My trimmer also trims sole and frog. He takes off such a tiny layer, and Dixie's never sore from it, so I let him do it. It's not something I have the nerve to do, but if Baasha's moving ok and she's only taking a tiny bit it's probably ok. I keep telling myself that this is why I want a professional, to do things slightly different from what I'd do - and her feet are amazing under his care.

I have NO IDEA about the event line. Maybe some minor trauma from the evil black pony? Shot in the dark there!

I have started just ignoring random bruising. I think it's the curse of the white feet. :(

I'd also love to see her place!

lytha said...

smazourek, i trim the bars when i see them start to lay over or catch grass. neither this lady nor my last trimmer saw an issue there.

funder, the one event line was caused by a reaction to DMSO. the coronoary band swelled up and it freaked me out so i called the vet (not the farrier!).

Mrs. Mom said...

He is looking good Lytha! Your trimmer sounds like a gem- I'm really glad you were able to find her and be able to converse with her so freely.

Love the white fuzzies all over too ;)


I'd have taken a bit of the sole as well- he does have a good bit there, and while I disagree with SMAZOUREK about it being bar material, I do think he needed a bit of the sole material removed. Overall, his feet look very good.

Give Baasha an extra carrot from me!!