Thursday, March 24, 2011

SHEEP! And finally, a pic of our shepherd!

I've been asked in my comments for a picture of our shepherd but until today I've never had the opportunity.

I was watching a DVD and suddenly - SHEEP...and LAMBS!!!!!!!! right out my window. (All of these photos were taken from inside my living room.)


I went for my camera. I love new lambs - cute overload!

There were so many of them.

I watched as the shepherd's son moved them away from the street and I wondered if they'd be setting up camp overnight.


When they visit my field, they stay a couple of days and he sets up a temporary fence.

The neighbors did not set out a straw puppet (a symbol for "no sheep please" so I hoped they'd stay.

There he is with two dogs, a lamb, and a 32 year old Icelandic horse in the background that I did not notice until just now.





They did not stay but I was able to see how they moved them, something I've always been curious about. How do they communicate "move on" to the sheep - and where, and how do they control their movements from field to field, using streets. (Again this photo was taken through my living room window. I love my new camera!)





I was rapt. His wife, a shy, sweet woman who I really like, got into their jeep with horse trailer behind and started driving down our street. The sheep immediately reacted. (Note: I always wonder what is in the horse trailer. Why do they pull it?)



They followed the jeep+horse trailer! The baby lambs stumbled along over the molehills, and the shepherd took up the rear. He had two dogs tied to his belt (he told me his in-training dogs are observers) and one or two loose, but they didn't do much except stay back with him. The sheep just knew to follow the rig to the next field.

And later when I looked at my photos I saw my neighbors, the terrier people peering through their windows of their home at the sheep below them.

My man said we should have the sheep over again but I reminded him that they already did us a favor this year of trimming and fertilizing our field in winter. They did a great job this year, we had them at just the right moment for them to take down the last of the unruly leftover hay-grass.

Looking through my photo folder, I came across this next. Here is my man's favorite drink, favorite pet, and favorite fun website.

Tomorrow Carsten comes to "schlep" our field (drag). I look foward to this so much I cannot say, I'm so sick of looking at mole hills (a protected species here, amazingly as they seem to have no predators and proliferate in every available meter of land.)

Speaking of protected species, tonight as I went out to feed Baasha, I encountered a spiny visitor. I ran back in the house, "There's a donkey in our yard!" and my man said, "A donkey?" Yes, a donkey! and he came out and said, "A hedgehog!" Oops, wrong word. Hedgehog. Odd creature, please move along. I didn't get a photo because he heard me and really did move along. Slowly and comically. I'd never seen a hedgehog until Germany.

13 comments:

Crystal said...

How cute are baby lambs???

Haha you had me laughing at the hedgehog/donkey too!

Unknown said...

Lol! They do look alike, those hedgehogs and donkeys!

What a beautiful sight, I'm glad you've got a new camera!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

My town is rich with the Basque culture and I actually saw an ad in the jobs section of the paper looking for a shepherd. I was tempted to apply, but I didn't have the minimum of 3 months experience.

Dom said...

Lambs are about the cutest thing I've ever seen.

cdncowgirl said...

Too bad they didn't stay... there's no better pick me up than watching baby lambs!

cdncowgirl said...

Oh, and I'm guessing the words for donkey and hedgehog are pretty similar in German. Funny little story, a lady in my first Greek class found out that all these years she was calling her sons cucumbers instead of boys.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I didn't know that hedgehogs were wild. Wow! Whenever I've seen them they've always been pets. lol!
Do they burrow, like the moles, too?

Moles are just as bad as gophers, softening the ground and creating holes that horses (and humans) can step into a twist an ankle or break a leg. Do you have gophers, too? Are they protected as well?

The photo of the Terrier People cracked me up. Reminded me of Nuzzling Muzzles nosy neighbors. lol!
Of course, I bet it is very interesting watching the sheep.

~Lisa

~Lisa

Michael said...

Germans love hedgehogs because of Mecki!

Achieve1dream said...

Those lambs are sooooo cute!! My neighbors have lambs. So adorable. I bet the trailer has supplies for them and for emergencies if they are staying out with the sheep (and maybe the temporary fence you said they put up sometimes). Are they just moving them to a new pasture or do they actually keep them moving all the time like nomads?

Rising Rainbow said...

Baby lambs are definitely sweet little critters. What a surprise to see them right outside your window in droves like that. I guess some things about Germany haven't changed in all these years.

I wondered if you ever stumbled over the language. Guess the donkey/hedgehog answers that question. I'll be Baasha would have enjoyed the donkey, though.

Zoe said...

I adore hedgehogs. They do make a very "interesting noise" when mating. I was once walking past a graveyard on the way home late at night....over 40 years ago When I heard this scary noise. Turned out to be two hedgehogs doing what hedgehogs do....
They used to be a common sight in my younger days. Rarely see them now. Watch out they are usually very flea infested!

lytha said...

Lisa, I don't know if gophers exist here. Moles are the reason I don't gallop a horse across a field.

Hedgehogs live in brushpiles, I don't think they dig. I'm not sure though.

Michael, I will ask my man about Mecki tonight!

Achieve, the sheep seem to move constantly, but I am not sure where they go in winter because I never see them out on snowy fields. In only a couple of days an enormous field can be trimmed by the herd. It works really well for us, they did a great job this Winter.

Mikael, I make language errors in every conversation I have. These are mostly gender issues because I haven't memorized all the genders of all the nouns (a chair is masculine, a cat is feminine, a child is neuter, for example). I also screw up prepositions quite a bit. (instead of "afraid of" they say, "afraid for"). It could take a lifetime to learn all the details. I hope I'm not too late: )

c2b, I have heard deer making odd loud noises, and we even heard a frog squeal when we upset it (by moving it to another pond). Rabbits also squeal when mating, but I had no idea about the hedgehogs. I'll be listening now.

White Horse Pilgrim said...

We have hedgehogs too in England. Usually they appear at night and make the dog bark. Of course the spiny creature has no need to run from a dog, and doesn't, infuriating the dog no end.

Once I rescued a hedgehog that had got stuck in a fence. They can scuttle away quickly, and that oen did.

Hedgehogs are supposed to keep the rat population down therefore are a good thing even if they carry a lot of fleas.