Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Baasha's first bath of 2011

Well first of all I cannot type very well cuz I cut my index finger with a hoofknife today. It was about 5 seconds after I thought, "I don't need gloves." Right!

After another deep cleaning of Baasha's feet, I tormented him with another shedding session - don't you just hate the feeling of a hair sliding down your throat. Or when you go to remove a hair from your mouth and get 15 more (as Lisa put it).

Lately I've been coming inside, washing up, changing, taking off my watch and finding a handful of long white hair in a perfect circle stuck to my damp wrist.

So after another bobcat came off, I realized dang it's like room temperature out here (about 16C), and my horse is really hot - I had to go find him in a shady spot today because I think the sun was too much. Lo and behold it might be bathing temp!

Poor Baasha got a cold bath. But it was so warm out he didn't even shiver.

I had a terrible time because so much hair was coming off it was getting all over me and sticking. It is kind of ridiculous to bathe a horse with so much hair. I could have never gotten away with this back home - by the time it was warm enough for baths, he didn't have much hair left. Well, he also has way more hair here in general. It just feels wrong to bath a horse in full coat.

He was very concerned that I'd leave him tied in the sun to dry as I put things away. I didn't even get to the hose because he was looking at me plaintively, "Don't leave me here at the torture rack!" And when I finally came to untie him he nickered at me so gratefully!

I showsheened his mane and I am so happy to have that grungy brown gone from the roots. It's pure silver now, finally. I even washed his forelock and that was a trick, I had to use towels because there is no spraying Baasha in the face.

I noticed him shaking his head yesterday and sure enough, the gnats are alive from this warm spell. There was some blood on his belly and when I inspected his ears there was blood on my fingers. No visible wounds but that was coming. I spot-on'd him - never have I had to do this before May!

I was careful not to bathe the underside of Baasha because otherwise I'd be wasting that spot-on.

After I scraped and used 6 towels on him, he was ready to go out grazing so I led him around a bit, prolonging the clean horse moments before he rolled.

He's half green/brown and half pure white because he only rolled on one side. But his mane and face look much better and I know he's clean under the grass stains.

He is incredibly soft - I'd totally forgotten! His red flecks are returning too.

I've been removing his blanket every morning but nights are still below freezing so I bundle him up again. Nothing like having your horse at home for the convenience of blanketing on weather whims!

I can sure type alot for only have 9 good fingers *lol* I'd never be able to do those "wordless" or "silent" posts!

8 comments:

Crystal said...

O I am so jeleous! We are up to our eyeballs in snow and you are out bathing your horse! Im sure it helped getting a lot of his hair out though. My horses are hardly shedding yet, its just too cold.

lytha said...

oh no i did not mean to taunt! i remember last year we were buried under snow for three complete months: dec-march. this year is some sort of blessing: ) (and we missed the worst of it on our america trip, sorry housesitter!)

AareneX said...

Jealous of your warm temps, although I did get some sunshine this morning while I was packing the trailer for HOTR!!!

Funder said...

A bath!! I'm jealous too - we just got more snow this morning. But the snow is melting as fast as it comes down. It's just, like, fluffy rain. :)

Dixie gets this awful funk at the base of her mane. It's like horse lanolin. I have scrubbed 2x with Dawn and I still can't get it off. Anyway I'm sure Baasha's mane is gloriously white!

Rising Rainbow said...

They say it hit 60° here today but it didn't feel that warm. If it had, I'd of been bathing horses too. I did hose a couple off in particularly ucky places but no real bathing yet but how I wish. LOL

Those "wordless" and "silent" posts have never worked for me. Wordless I seem to be able to get down to maybe three paragraphs. Silent is more like five. LOL

Dreaming said...

My boys need a bath sooooo badly. But, it has either been very cold or very windy. Not good bathing weather. IF I get a new barn... I wonder what it would cost to put a wash stall in?!!!

Achieve1dream said...

And no pictures? Not fair. :) I'm not surprised to hear about the gnats. We already have ticks out really bad. Ugh.

allhorsestuff said...

A BATH!!!
Wowwee...You got all us in the states BEAT for that fun horsey chore! Even with our wash rack, inside the stable, it is sooo cold here, I fear mine would NOT dry out!
Glad that the weather is reversed this year for you!!! I bet you Baasha looks to be lighter and fitter now!

PS
about the header...isn't that funny. I have had problem with them being cut off..so this time I removed the "shrink to fit"