Sunday, July 12, 2009

Virtual ride

This really is a virtual ride for me because I am 8 thousand kilometers away from Baasha. On this ride, I am riding alone, which is how I usually ride, and I am riding through Bergisches Land, Germany.

Bergisches Land is the hilly area northeast of Cologne named for the dukes of Berg who lived in the old castle not far from our home called Altenberg. This is Altenberg. Altenberg now has hoofprints in its courtyard again, because this is where I started my virtual ride.

Taking a virtual ride with me would mean riding under a Simpsons sky, listening to the muffled sound of Baasha's bare feet on pavement. We ride on pavement a lot cuz this is Germany and even designated hiking/riding trails are often paved. You'll recognzie Baasha as a flea-bitten aged Arabian in black and white tack. I'll wear black and white to match. My saddle bag will have a water bottle and a Ritter Sport inside. I will have a cell phone on my person because I learned that lesson.

We have a lot of Simpsons opening scene skies here in this corner of Germany. I like them. I prefer to look at snow-covered mountains, but the fluffy white on blue is nice too.






This sign means you're not allowed to drive here, only hikers and riders and forest workers may enter.












This is the sign for Horse Trail in all of Germany. But now we live in a place where these signs do not exist because horses are allowed on ALL trails except those with forbidden signs. WOO! No need to look for these blue signs to ride legally!









Don't forget your Reiter Plakett. This is your license to ride the trails here - only required by equestrians, which is unfair, but then, the money we pay goes to maintaining trails. Although I prefer the rough, rider-maintained singletracks of home, you do not need to own a pair of loppers to be a trailrider here.







The landscape is rolling, curving, slanted, never flat, not for a moment.










It makes for a lot of horizons when you ride down into a dip. Look up, and see grass meet sky. That doesn't usually happen back home. These gentle hills are great for my old horse.









Although there are fields with cattle - both kinds - there are many fields full of sheep. I can only speculate why the sheep have bells on them.









You all know the culture of wandering shepherds here, they are allowed to let their herd onto any field that does not have a straw puppet. I actually saw a straw puppet today and got a picture for anyone who hasn't seen one or cannot imagine one.








NO SHEEP HERE PLEASE! is what it signifies. (Do we have one in our field? Not yet - it could be that sheep are good for a field, more research on that is in order.)









Some of the woods are lovely, dark and deep.











Most are lovely, light, and shallow.












Germany has many nearly hidden bunkers from the wartimes. It's always a thrill for me to find one, and imagine the people hiding inside from the bombs. Did they make it? Did they bring their pets? They certainly didn't have podcasts to pass the time.









There is a giant here who loves mint marshmallows. He places them where he won't lose them - in the middle of fields. Yummy, yummy mint marshmallows! (OK, actually that's a bunch of silage.)











My trailride is often interrupted by little towns I must pass through. Annoying, but charming too.












Since this is an agricultural neighborhood, many homes have attached barns. This is so cool. Imagine not having to go outside to feed/visit your horses. They're right in your home with you, through a doorway. I love it! I assume this tradition of one building barn/home is due to the bitter winters here.








If you pass a riding school, you may see a row of tiny European horse trailers.










You see horses with fancy warmblood brands as you ride through the state of NRW, and you see lots and lots of Haflingers. Haflingers are adorable, but they're as common as bread here. Not the kind of horse to ride if you want to be noticed, hehe.










Fjords, though, there are lots of Fjords too, and they get noticed a bit more.












Icelandics=bread. They must be pretty fantastic to ride, because they're simply everywhere here. You can tell an Icelandic cuz they have extremely thick, but never too long, forelocks.









My virtual trailride goal would be the watershed, and anyone brave enough to come along past the no tresspassing signs is welcome! People with invisibility shields or cloaking devices are especially welcome to join me!










When the clouds converge, it could be Lake Samammish back home, huh Baasha?











I love these things. When you get up close they they make a buzzing noise, and whooosh, whoosh! Although some Germans consider them eyesores, I think they are majestic and love watching the peaceful sweep of the arms. Quiz...which direction do the arms turn? Kind of a trick question.











Since it's a virtual ride, Baasha behaved himself perfectly and gets LOTS of carrots afterwards! For the riders, there's Apfelschorle and zucchini bread from our zucchini plants...oh dear that is not German at all. Of course, the yard is open for berry snacking at the moment.

11 comments:

Reddunappy said...

Great virtual ride Lytha! that was cool!

Anonymous said...

Really enjoyed the ride - thanks for all the wonderful pictures - I loved all the horses you pass on the way!

AareneX said...

YES! I finally got to see a straw doll!!!

Uh, it sorta looks like a cow spit-up on that fence post to make a straw doll.

I was envisioning something a little more, well, powerful.

hahahaha!!! Ride on, Lytha!

allhorsestuff said...

LLLOOOOVVVEED the ride!I laughed with the Large green marshmallows too!So funny aobut the sheep markers...I grew up knowing, cause my sister said so, that sheep and horses do not mix in a field. Something about eating the grass differently and the parasites.

YESSS..wanna meet YOU!!! I have most Wednesdays off..but -darn that one, I must work till 4pm....but could see you after that..you could even come out for a ride!! Did you bring your boots? That is about all you'd need..i have everything else..including the horse! In fact..what size show are you?
Anywho..reguardless of the ride, MEETING would be great. If I were worried about wierdo's..I wouldn't have a blog at all!
my cell is 503-927-7854~
I will look into the accomodations..prices? How about a nice B'N'B?? Those are my favorites always.
Let me know!!
KacyK

Chelsi said...

Great ride!!! Some parts of Germany look so much like British Columbia...no wonder we have so many Germans here! lol

I LOVE haflingers!! The houses there are really cool too...so different than the streets here, it looks like you've stepped back in time!

Zoe said...

Wonderful I enjoyed that.

allhorsestuff said...

Okay...call me Lythia!
I found the coolest thing ever on a road near my work in Milwaukie..A wonderful B'N'B!! I couldn't believe the feeling of the place..it is waaay up on a hill on jsut 3 acres but..it makes you feel like you are out in the country for being in the city!
I got all the info and need to now your price range..or if you are interested in that kinda thing at all...or just want a regular motel..got those handy too.

Call me dearie!
Kacy

Melissa-ParadigmFarms said...

I LOVED your trail ride, you see such a variety of things when you ride out on Baasha. Thanks for the ride!

Horseypants said...

Hi, there's an award for you at my blog!

Flying Lily said...

Wonderful virtual ride and I bet Baasha enjoyed that 86-lb bag of carrots!!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oh what a magical fun ride, Lytha! The mint marshmallows made me happy to see...and the straw puppet is such a whimsical idea. So different there!
Oh how I wish we had Haflingers, Fjords and Icelandics as common as bread in the US! I would love to own one of them, but they are hard to find....and very costly.

I suppose Arabians are not very common there. You could start a new thing there, Lytha!

All your photos were just wonderful at painting a picture of your trail ride.

~Lisa