Thursday, July 9, 2009

God bless America

We are in America and really enjoying the beautiful place that I call home. My parents have a big American flag on their house and this month there is a little German one below it.

Going to the grocery store is an indescribable experience for me. I had some sort of weird emotional reaction to simply gazing at all the foods I used to know. The stores are so modern, so new smelling, and the food, omgosh, I remember in particular the granola bar section just went on and on and on. Then there are the samples. I wandered around eating what tasty snacks they lay out. Then there are the checkers who do EVERYTHING for you, including, get this ...FREE GROCERY BAGS. Although there is something new, they have signs encouraging people to bring their own canvas bags now. I thanked the checker profusely for just doing her job, she put the groceries in bags FOR ME.

My sister said if we want my man to have a real American experience, take him to Costco on the day before the 4th of July. So we did, just for fun. It was FUN!

I also love the confidence I have in situations here, I just understand everyone and there is no challenge involved in doing simple things here.

I keep driving by restaurants I love, and stopping the car and ordering food. We are both eating way too much but that will stop when we leave here. My man is enjoying Dairy Queen Blizzards and I am eating Mexican as often as possible.


We are geocaching every day, and on these trips stopping by old pastures where Baasha lived his earliest days.

The nice people who read this blog told me to relax and not worry about him, so that is what I am doing.

OK now to go see that new Star Trek FINALLY. See ya!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The new Star Trek is awesome - hope you enjoy it!

Melanie said...

Awwww....I am so glad that you are enjoying yourself! And I am glad that you are getting your much-missed quota of Mexican food...lol!!!

Leah Fry said...

Hope you will still do Aarene's Virtual Trail Ride. You'll be feasting on virtual Mexican food when you visit Casa Fry.

Baasha sounded like he was going to do fine with your friend. I know you can't help but worry.

Enjoy feasting across America LOL!

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Enjoy! I guess you'll just have to take back an extra suitcase of goodies with you!

Unknown said...

Nice holidays to you and your hubby - enjoy and relax and be happy that you got off that german autumn in summer right now :-)

Keia

Reddunappy said...

Sounds like you two are having a great time coming "home". You will have to mail home a goodie box!
So how did you meet this wonderful man who lived so far away? Have you posted on how you met before?

Melissa-ParadigmFarms said...

Have a great time while you are home and try not to worry about Baasha *too* much (I know you'll worry some)!

Sonya said...

Oh gosh,Triscuits and Wheat Thins! I miss those soooooo much! Blizzards..oh man,those are so good.

We've had nasty rain for a week now and thankfully we are supposed to get back up into the 70's starting tomorrow...I miss the weather from Oregon.

Im glad you are having fun..eat,eat,eat as much as you can because it will be over before you know it..lol

AareneX said...

Wahooo-Ivar's Clam Chowder! Now you know that you're really home!!!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oh how funny! I've never given it much thought all the things I'd miss, like food, restaurants, locations, if I ever moved out of the country.
I bet it feels like seeing old friends immersing yourself back into your previous life. And how fun that you can include your Man through it all, too.

I hope you're having a great time. Don't worry too much. What will be, will be.....whether you are in Germany or in the US.

~Lisa