Sunday, August 8, 2021

Observations of America, 3

I'll try not to offend anyone this time. But first...


This is me in America holding up the geocaching logbook signed my our friend in 2016 who is housesitting for us in Germany right now, and that's her car in the background we're driving this month. It made me soooo happy to see her name in a cache!

 

 

1. I've never had to slam on my brakes of my car so often, not in years. In 3 weeks I've had to fully slam them on 5 times !!!! due to other cars casually pulling out in front of me, or passing other cars, driving head-on toward me in my lane. J asks why I don't honk. Cuz this is the PNW, we don't honk. Also, we don't want to incite road rage. 



 

I've had a long spell without driving much due to Corona, and now I'm in America driving a lot. And the other drivers are not easing me back into the habit. They are making it so I cannot multitask while driving, I need to pour all my attention into what the next stupid driver will do. 

2. The food is so expensive we keep looking at "price per ounce" of things, and only getting tap water at restaurants. Still, it's unreasonable here, to try to survive at these food prices. 

3. No birds sing here. I don't know what it is, but in Shelton, there is no birdsong. We're out here in BFE surrounded by forests inbetween stretches of saltwater inlets and every so often a crow goes over, or an owl peeps, but there is no morning birdsong.

4. It's a little bit tiresome, how loud Americans are, and understanding every word makes it moreso. But the friendliness is undeniable. 

5. J had his first ever corn nut.

We are getting used to the saltwater air, the smell of low tide every day. I'm sad that although oysters are on sale at the corner market, the weather has made them unsafe, according to my parents.I was joking that I would ask the shop keeper to eat an oyster in front of me before I bought a dozen, to prove they are safe to eat.

I included this cuz it was at a cemeterycache and I loved that someone had placed a full, unopened can of Rainier beer next to his grave. You cannot even read the label anymore, of Seattle's most iconic junk beer.
 

It's not hot today, but Seattle will have another heat wave starting Thursday. They had a 2nd record of no rain that ended this week - 51 days without a drop. Hrm! I just wish it would stop for a moment back hom in Germany so our hay can finally be mowed! This is serious, how long can hay just stand there taking an entire Summer of rain and heat without harvest.

OK that's it for today, I'm back on channel 12, it's called H&I, and I've got my 5 hours of Star Trek series again (Saturday is a horrid break with nothing else to watch). 

Until tomorrow, or as my dad says every night as he goes to bed, "manyana."

6 comments:

TeresaA said...

It is definitely different than Germany. I hope you can get your hay mowed.

Tina said...

Sorry somebody got offended by your blog? Is that why part of it is gone now? I can't think of anything that you've said that is or has been offensive.
Food is expensive in the whole country right now. When fuel was high, it went up and the containers got smaller. When price of fuel went down, the prices didn't reflect that at all. Walmart now uses mainly self checkouts. Prices aren't any cheaper even though they are paying less employees. I do grocery pickup now. If I'm not getting some kind of discount or perk for doing all the work, then grocery pickup makes me feel like I'm getting my money worth. Best part...I don't have to deal with people and I feel like I am doing a LOT less impulsive shopping so I am saving money in the long run. I am also a severe introvert.

Kitty Bo said...

Yes, food is expensive everywhere now, and restaurants were having a hard time just getting things. Covid is pretty much to blame. The weather in the west this summer is frightening. Please don’t apologize for talking about feelings we all share with you.

lytha said...

Teresa, my husband and I both ask you, is it hay mown or hay mowed? *lol* No seriously, when I say, "The lawn needs to be mow----?" what is correct? : )

Tina, I made a statement still in my open blog about Hispanics being singled out because perhaps they carry diseases that people that are not-Hispanic do not have. I was speculating about why I would be asked, on entry to an urgent care clinic, if I was Hispanic. Why why why....still do not really know! Although it's true my English is funny after 14 years abroad and maybe the receptionists are trained to detect funny English?

I just this week discovered the grocery store carts full of blue plastic baskets full of grocery bags where employees shop for customers who call in their orders. I'm fascinated by it! We see the parking lot slots for pick up and it's a whole new world for us. Ha, of course, no impulse shopping! Today at Fred Meyer we went there with my dad and I got a cart even though I knew we didn't need anything. I said, "Just in case." As our cart filled I said to my husband, "Aha, it is impossible to walk through this store and buy nothing!"

KB, *hug* Thanks. I didn't want to offend, I was actually offended myself by the question of race I got at the clinic.

AareneX said...

Once in the Before Times I was waiting my turn on the blood donation bus. They do their best to be discrete there, but it's a BUS so everybody hears everything.

They asked the person before me their race and pronouns, but didn't ask me. I was offended! (Also, they are supposed to ask everybody--I called a nurse friend to ask. It's about research, apparently, they do research with tiny amounts of the blood we donate.)

lytha said...

Aarene, I work at blood donations regularly!: ) It is one of the few scenarios when someone is allowed to ask if you are MSM - a man having sex with a man. But race is not brought up, only if you've been in a part of the world with malaria. And if you don't understand German you cannot donate blood, no translator is allowed. Strange huh?