Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Nobody rides Mag today

That wasn't what was supposed to happen!

I didn't think Mag still had it in him to be this awful on the lunge, but he exhibited every bad behavior he's got, and then some new ones.

He tried to drag me three times, but somehow I kept ahold of him (very good gloves). 

He tried to kick the stirrups off the saddle, which is an old trick I haven't seen in years. (He can't stand the feel of them touching him when he canters and bucks and bucking causes them to touch him so he has to kick at them, each of them.)

He spooked at all edges of the arena equally, without favoritism. It was extremely windy and there is a loud rustly hedge and it was too much for him today.

He spooked at his own shadow when the sun came out for a moment. I've heard of horses doing this but never experienced it personally. 

He kicked at my whip when it touched his leg. He requires a lot of energy to move on the lunge, which means sometimes I touch him with it.

He lost his mind when someone walked a dog down the sidewalk slowly, letting the dog meander. That person was moving suspiciously slow I suppose. He put on quite a show with his tail over his back but I was fuming mad at him.

There was some guy doing construction in the barn. He'd start hammering at random, which even upset Rudi when she arrived. And then he turned on an electric fence which was connected to our arena fence, so both horses fruck out about that popping sound in that corner of the arena.

A new Haflinger mare was in heat and TP's Arabian was acting like a stallion, dropped and screaming at her the entire time we were there, with small pauses to eat hay. I've never seen a gelding act like that before. That horse has always offered to clean Mag's clock whenever we come anywhere near him, so I never let Mag too close.

When Susanne showed up she was surprised to see me and told me I should have told her I'd be there. Oops, I'd forgotten to tell her I lost my medic class. She complained to me that she needs time to plan her lessons and can't improvise. I told her it's fine, I wouldn't be riding today anyway, based on Mag's ridiculous behavior. I confirmed with Ani first because that would cost her more money today.

Then things got weird.

Ani explained to Susanne that she wants to ride Mag, and that I'd agreed to lease him to her.

What huh? I've never used the words "lease" and "Mag" in the same sentence unless to say, "I'd never lease Mag."

Somehow she assumed that from our talk last week when I told her it would be fine if she rode Mag, helpful, even, but I'd want her to do it with Susanne's help.

Then Susanne launched into a 10 minute lecture about Mag. Things we already know about him but it's her job as our teacher to be sure we know.

"Mag is reiter-scheu. (Has fear of being ridden.) Mag cannot tolerate any rustly sounds around him. Mag will not allow you to ride him unless he trusts you. You should start with ground work and then pretend to mount, lying across his back, and then turn his head to both sides so he can see you. And when you do get on, make him go in circles so he can always see you on his back. And don't ride him irregularly. Mag needs you to ride him minimum three times weekly."

I sat there staring at the sand during all this while Ani nodded and agreed with everything she said.

Finally I said something. "Ani, if you want to ride him regularly, it would be OK in an arena, with Susanne's help at first. But I'm not willing to pay the 7Euro fee X3 every week. Maybe someday I'll find a riding ring closer to our house (wink wink) and then it will be free."

I wonder if she caught my meaning.

***

Her lesson was really bad. Susanne told me to bring Mag into the arena and do some ground work, at least, with him, which was nice. Perhaps she realizes how much I try to stay out of their way.

But first I took Mag out to get him a bucket of water cuz I know how thirsty he would be after all that fighting me on the lunge. He refused, so their water must smell weird.

Then I filmed Ani riding from over the gate, and didn't notice when Rudi's OWNER showed up and stood next to me! I think in the second video below you'll hear me say, "Oh! Hello!" in surprise.

Rudi's owner. The one who doesn't let Ani ride if it has rained and the mare's back is wet. She seemed shy so I introduced myself. She said Mag was beautiful. I said, "Thank you, I appreciate riding out with Rudi because she is a good influence on Mag unless she's in heat!" which I explained and she laughed. She offered to hold him for me and I told her I'm supposed to go in and work with him. She was polite and held open the gate for us.

So much yelling today! I admit yelling in German sounds way harsher than yelling in English, but I wish Susanne would try to be a little more sympathetic in her corrections. She got so frustrated with Ani today she actually slapped her thigh in disgust.

She kept shouting Inside Leg, INSIDE LEG INSIDE LEG INSIDE LEG INSIDE LEG getting louder and louder.

It was hard for Ani to hear much of the time due to the gelding's screams, which frustrated everyone.

Rudi seemed lame to me, what Susanne calls stiffness. It'a always to the right, and every lesson.

The lesson degenerated into a whole 'nother level of unpleasantness and at that moment Susanne caught me filming and said "Turn that camera off." OK then.

Because there was the problem with slowing the mare after the canter. The last two lessons the mare has resisted settling down into the walk after trot, a few circles of canter. It was really hard for Ani again, to get the mare to transition down and relax. Rudi's onwer said her previous owner was a cruel Western rider with spurs, always racing her around so she thinks she has to stay "up."  Susanne yelled and yelled WALK WALK WALK! As she did last month.

Susanne taught me a new phrase by yelling it repeatedly at this point. AUFSATZ RUNTER! which means heels down. I thought that was a good thing to be yelling at that moment, as Rudi kept trotting around and Ani could not get a down transition. In fact lately in the woods I've been teaching Mag about weight cues and purposefully weighting my stirrups a little when I want him to slow down inside the walk. Sort of bracing against his momentum in my feet. If that's silly please be sure to tell me.: )

Mag and I did some in-hand work, I'm a total newb at in-hand work and need professional help! But I wasn't riding, and I had paid the 7euros, so... He got all studdy with me and started talking inappropriately, as he always does during in-hand work. Later Suanne told me that some of those exercises (Piaff in-hand) bring out the stallion in a horse, because their bodies are posturing like studs. I'd heard that before but I really don't like Mag to talk to me like that. I flick him on the nose when he does. I'm fine, by now, with him immediately dropping during this work. But he shouldn't talk to me like I'm a mare. Have you ever had that happen during close in-hand work?

Later Rudi's owner asked if I did a lot of ground work training and I said, "Oh no I'm a total beginner and cannot afford to pay the 7euros every time I want to practice!" She seemed nice.

I let Mag graze all the way home up our street. The shoulder is lush and green and I'm not mad at him at all. Surprised by his rambunctious behavior, but, well, now I know.

Sorry the videos are awful in quality, like a 7 year old was filming. The wind was awful and Mag kept nuzzing me from behind and putting things in his mouth.  (Oh look I'm not the only one who gets the diagonal wrong....*shame*) At the end of the first film you can hear her ask me to stop filming, "Kannst du bitte aufhoeren zu filmen?" OK, shoulda asked first.






I think Ani is a lovely rider. I've never seen her yank on a horse's mouth, or kick with her heels. She has wonderful posture and doesn't impede the horse. So many good things to say, but the word "effective" is coming next for her. Gosh I sound so mean. I get pissed when I ride and am not above yanking Mag's head to my knee in anger. She has this vulcan style, which I envy.

In 2 hours we're going to pick her up in our car an take her to Wuppertal to see the new Lion King movie in English, 3D. She's learning English. I'll have to ask her how she feels about her lesson today.

12 comments:

TeresaA said...

Ani does have lovely posture but I'm not sure if she understands how to use aids effectively. Not to be mean at all but it seems that she needs to figure that out. As for leasing Mag?! Hell no. You need to be clear to her that that is not going to happen.

EvenSong said...

As I watched, but before reading your comments, I was thinking she has very soft hands. The mare is very strung out, not on the bit at all. That and teaching half halts might help with the downward transitions. My trainer does a LOT of up and down transitions, so the horse is forced to listen and focus. Is there a particular thing/goal that Ani is trying to attain? Having a goal, whether a daily one (get three balanced loping circles each direction), or longer term (getting ready for a competition) can be helpful, rather than just riding circles.

EvenSong said...

Also, sounds like the day just wasn’t right for Mag! Too many things going on! Good choice on your part to dial back your expectations.
I wonder if Ani’s interpretation of “ride Mag” is “on a regular basis” aka “lease arrangement.” I’m not at all sure I would be open to that, unless there was some reason I was not going to be able to ride, and I wanted someone I knew *and trusted* to keep her in work.

Camryn said...

Mags was letting Ani know something perhaps!? One of my SIL tells me whenever we speak, how she want to ride Merlin & Pippin. For heavens sakes woman, their minis! I try not to speak with her 😝

Nat D said...

Wow. Soooo many questions. But lets start here: why do you think it would be helpful if Ani rode Mag 3 times a week? Is that what you want? Why?

Rudi is a much nicer looking horse than I had imagined, even with the stiffness. Very QH type.

AareneX said...

Just watched the videos. I see the "lameness" you were seeing--a little head bob, esp if the horse is going clockwise. Since she's in heat, I suspect she may be cycling on that side--Fee would show clearly which ovary was firing when she was in heat, because of pain from the cysts on that side. The stallion-like bellowing is really distracting!

She has nice soft hands, and good balance. But from your description, I think she isn't nearly assertive enough not to frighten my horse. Most experienced riders are fine riding Fee, btw. You would have no problems (except maybe climbing up that tall horse) at all. Patty rode her and said "she rides like a Dory-horse" which is funny because Dory doesn't ride my horse, but several of her students have. The "buttons" are installed correctly for us, so we can all trade horses and ride without confusing anybody. :-)

AareneX said...

So the question is, should Ani ride Mag?

Well, what would she bring to him? Could she add to his skill set? Or can she do something that you can't? Because if she can't, I'd say ride him yourself (but not on a day like today when he communicated clearly that his brain was full and had no room for anything new!) and let her continue to learn on a less reactive horse.

Shaste said...

Agree she is nice and soft. Each horse needs something different but I'd prefer too soft to too hard any day for someone riding one of my horses. Assertive is good, but only if the rider has impeccable timing and judgement and no temper :)
I also see the head bob at the trot. Never thought that could be related to ovulation but I have pain with ovulation that makes me hardly able to move. Duh! I learn something new every day!

HHmplace said...

She's a passenger, not a rider, yet anyway... Gorgeous place & views!

lytha said...

Teresa, she's leased so many horses, 5 since I've known her, and co-owned one. I like your reaction: )

ES, you think like a horse trainer: ) I agree. I do not know anyone in Germany I would trust to ride Mag without me being there. My being there would not prevent accidents, but I need to know what's going on with him.

Camryn, can your SIL drive you minis?

ND, it was Susanne who thought it would be important for Ani to ride 3 times per week. At that point I though I wouldn't be against it if it were in an arena, my own arena, under my supervision.

Aarene, good questions. What Ani can do that I cannot is ride completely fear free. She rode him on the buckle and he dropped his head to the ground! Is that "teaching"? Hm. The hard thing here is both knowing her limitations and seeing her passion to again ride and enjoy Mag. The way she talks about Mag, she admires him, saying, "I'd love to have such a horse". So I'm tempted to let her attempt riding again, but not outside an arena. Also since she's such a fan, it was probably good that Susanne spent 10 minutes outlining Mag's issues to her (if only she really knew!).

S, agreed, too soft/beginner is better than experienced with temper: ) But I'd have to be there to make sure she's not getting taken advantage of.

Connie, that arena is on the highest point in our town, with views of the valleys dropping off all around (which makes it nearly always windy). In contrast we live in a hole: )





Nat D said...

I understand that you are proud of Mag and want to occasionally gift him to Ani who seems in adoration of him. You seem to enjoy spending time with her, and doing extracurricular activities.

I also understand that you think she might be able to give something to Mag, with her "fear free riding".

And I understand that Ani might be thinking it would be a whole lot simpler if she just rode your horse while you walked alongside, as she seems to have mentioned lately that you do more walking then riding. From her perspective, it seems completely logical. Particularly if she is paying anything to ride Rudi.

I wonder if you might have considered Mag's opinion on this?
I also wonder if you might be downplaying your role, and overstating her ability?

Many of us have different opinions on the topic of horsesharing. Some believe that it should be part of their training. Others believe that some horses enjoy the constancy of one handler/rider. Some do it for financial reasons, or because they can't ride as much as the horse needs. Others do it so the horse learns new skills.

I suspect you are perhaps in the first camp. Perhaps you feel that horsesharing is a skill that Mag must have in order to be accomplished (like the tree circling objective). I think we can all agree that you would not be doing this for financial reasons (Ani has no money?), and she can not teach Mag new skills.

I am in the second camp. I believe certain horses that have high sensitivity can be more insecure when other riders/handlers use them. They can overcome that fear, but it comes at a cost. A price I am not interested in paying (unless I needed it for financial reasons, or skill reasons). As a friend of mine recently told me about not sharing her horse "I wouldn't do it to him. He doesn't deserve it. He is such a good boy"

I would suggest you consider your motivations, and how Ani can help you achieve your objectives.

I still believe you are in a better place when you get on that horse and ride, and having Ani scheduling time with you in the woods seems to be the best way for you to accomplish that. The whole dynamic would shift if the time she has available is spent doing circles in an arena instead of going out on the trails with you and her own horse.

You know the drill. Wet saddle pads solves a lot of issues. For horse, and for rider.

Camryn said...

Lytha: If my SIL can’t comprehend not riding a 36” mini, she’s certainly not bright enough to allow her driving reins! Seriously though, Hubs quit having family cookouts due to the drama she brings.