Sunday, June 24, 2018

All emotional

When I started this post I was excited to show you our day. Mag's,  friends', donkey's, and mine.

When I went to upload the photos, the cloud showed me a random photo of Baasha.

And I broke down.

     



He was... well how does one describe a heart horse that you have as a best friend/son for 25 years. I miss him so much, after 6 years I still miss him almost every day. This pasture would be better with his hoof prints. "His" donkey would be happier bossing him around, rather than Mag. I still keep a mud splash on the wall of the barn where he thrashed his dirty tail. I still treasure the hairs of his mane that stuck to the side of the barn door. This place, ...we built for Baasha. No one else can fill it perfectly.

I cannot sum up our amazing adventures (ending with a 747 flight together!) here. Look back if you want, in my blog history, to when Baasha arrived in 2008 in Germany. Now I'm all emotional.

I don't believe in the possibility of more than one heart horse.

There can be only one.

But I do use the word "love" with Mag, finally.

Horses know when they are #2.  He's competing with a horse who is waiting for me in heaven, subconsciously. And he's doing it well.

Oh, Mag.

***

My photographer friend called me as I was trimming Mag's hooves today, and my husband handed me the phone out there, under the horse. She said she would enjoy a donkey walk with us, meaning , me, Mag, and Bellis, and her husband Gregor. I couldn't refuse, my plans for the day were ....well, hoof trimming.

She showed up with her normal cornucopia of horse snacks (dried rolls) but interestingly, exactly as she exited her vehicle in our driveway, the donkey was on to her. "MICHIIIIIIII!" Her favorite person in the 'verse, cuz she always brings 1. Snacks and 2. WALKIES!

Her husband was along in support, what a nice guy, to listen to 2 horse crazies talk for 3 hours, and help us too. He seems to enjoy nature, gosh I hope he's not faking/suffering!

Funnily the horse did not notice it was Michi. But I believe after today, he will recognize her car/her voice, cuz so much goodness comes of them.

***

We went for our typical walk. We ended up at the old Pony Party (Geiser Hof) and it's full of Icelandics now (12).)

The Icis came running up and one acted like a stallion, screaming as he nosed the nose of Bellis. Hilarious to see how non-reactive Bellis is around 13 horses rushing to her, and one screaming like mad.

Mag wanted to join thier nonsense but I kept him securely facing the safe (ish) metal gate, so he wouldn't get hurt.

Then the nicest Icy came by and Mag showed off how you do not need plastic surgery if you are actually born with a perfect neck/throatlatch.

Remember Magnum Psyche, who had to have surgery on his throatlatch, for "health reasons" but his handler (Boggs) was eliminated for a few years due to his "necessary" throat surgery (to remove fat). To appear slimmer, to achieve the hook neck Arabs should have.


     



     


     

    
     


     


Some would say Mag's neck could be improved with a neck sweat, it's simply too thick.

I disagree. Mag has a ton of faults, conformationally, but I don't worry about this neck.

As I turned to leave with Mag, and Michi and Bellis followed, Mag flipped his tail completely over his back and arched his neck, like "Let's GO!" I couldn't help myself, I got excited and started jogging slow motion with him, his tail over his back, his neck up, snorting in happiness. Michi and her husband, behind us, gasped, "OMG! Mag!" I admit, I was showing off, but safely, I had him on a short line, and he was in slow motion with me, just mostly in vertical motion, pointing toward heaven with his neck and tail. She said later, "If I'd only had my camera then!"
***

I can't wait to see the profi photos from our day! The ones I refused to risk my life to get, running with a fully charged Mag behind me.

 Not sure if he'd have trampled me, but I don't need to take the chance. Until then.......

7 comments:

Achieve1dream said...

There will never be another Baasha, but Mag is so gorgeous too!!

To be honest I don't know if I believe in multiple heart horses either... I thought there were others at the time, but now that I know Chrome I know he's the one. Although I'll admit the one from the boarding barn where I used to take dressage lessons probably could have been one if I'd had the money to buy him when he was sold. Who knows what could have been?

Kitty Bo said...

My heart goes out to you. I think that we can mostly agree that there is only one heart horse. Khanalee is the only horse I've had that I dream of over and over again. I dream about him several times a month. It's ok to get emotional. It comes from the right place. (((Lytha)))

Redhorse said...

Sometimes you don't fully realize they really have your heart until after they're gone. I also believe you can have more than one heart horse, or dog.

Judi said...

I love Cole Train. He is he most amazing, fun horse to be with--but he isn't my Cruiser, and no other horse can be my Cruiser. Four years, and I miss him terribly. I am just glad that Cole is nearly a heart horse.

Camryn said...

Sadly, while I loved Camryn & adore the Minis, I've yet to have a heart horse. Camryn was "to Amish" great work ethic but, people ehhhh! The Minis are sweet, cute & fun but, bending down for that smell of horse & the connection that comes thru riding aren't there. Coming into horses later in life, who knows. Perhaps when the grandkids are full time students?

TeresaA said...

There is a lot of room in the heart. It doesn't matter if Basha is always 'first'.

AareneX said...

Heart horse: Story was one. Fiddle is a different one. I didn't expect that.

Throats: surgery, seriously? I'm going to email you a photo of great throats. The horse on one side is a grade arab from the auction. The other is a dragon of your acquaintance!