Friday, March 23, 2018

Dry vs wet

Years ago I'd drive out to the country to ride Baasha, and on arrival I'd realize there would be no riding - he was coated in wet mud. That and the rain rot convinced me blanketing is the way to go in the wet season.

Since the weather is above freezing now, and we're flying home Sunday, Mag's enjoying his blanket-free life.


     

I was impressed this morning to find him coated, and took some photos like this one, but then deleted them a few hours later.




     

Because he went out and perfected the job.




     






     






     






     






     






     






     

You can't really groom that away to go for a ride.




     






     






     





Morning vs afternoon....

7 comments:

Shirley said...

Oh the joys of spring.... Rosalee did that yesterday, I turned her out in the morning and she promptly headed for the blackest dirt she could find (because, you know, black looks good on yellow.... gah!) and rolled both sides... and then it rained all day ..... good news is this morning it was dry and I could brush it off with just the rubber palms on my gloves.

irish horse said...

oh my, he is so talented! Hopefully you'll get some sun and it'll dry off. When presented with that messy of a horse, I'm a terrible horseowner and ignore him until it dries (if I can).

We've had a week of rain, so Major has been hiding under his shelter. Today was sunny, so I bet when I arrive later he will have taken a nice long nap in the mud. But it just dones't photograph as well on a bay!

TeresaA said...

Oh my- that is some serious mud. He looks very pleased with himself.

AareneX said...

Grey horses. It's all about the mud. But srsly, your horse has special talent!

Sara said...

Impressive and very thorough job. He looks very smug in those shots.

Semi Feral Equestrian said...

Gotta love mud season.

One of my horses is partially clipped so I leave her rugged even if it's a bit warmer and muddy, but the plus side is at least with the rug, it limits all of that mud!

Mag really does seem to have some serious mud talent.

Sirje said...

He is such a PIG. But an adorable one. :)