Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Donkey behavior

The other day J and I were working on 72 and I told J to take a break and sit in my chair. As usual, the donkey homed in on him and put her face in his lap, asking for ear rubs. 

He said, "Her ears are fully back." 

Hrm. I hadn't noticed but wasn't worried.  J was being astute, knowing what pinned ears in horses means. I knew she didn't mean it....wow that sounds stupid. I didn't give it any thought and she got her ear rub as I scratched her butt with my rake.


I've never seen Bellis behave like this around Mag. A little teeth clapping, but nothing more. I remember the first time she did that, I was taking her for a walk and suddenly she was chewing on air. I realized she was in heat. 

Check out her pinned ears! Mag isn't really interested but since they have a no-touching rule usually, it was nice to see him enjoying his favorite thing: gnawing the hide off another animal. In the past he has soaked other horses' butts completely from his saliva! As you can see he's not being sexual (to Bellis' annoyance).


4 comments:

TeresaA said...

She's leaning right into those teeth!!

lytha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lytha said...

T, I'm hoping this is not too explicit for some viewers. I left the one out where I was sure to get a PG13 rating.

ellie k said...

I think Bellis was hoping he might be the right guy but the movement of her tail.