Tuesday, September 29, 2020

I take too many pics of my horse

Despite being almost October, Mag still has his Summer coat. He cannot live without his rain blanket lately. (One of my most critical purchases ever for Mag, that I'd never owned before.)

The hair on his face is especially fine and the black skin is showing through not just at his muzzle, but around his eyes and even ears. I was excited to get a few photos of that phenomenon, the one that obviously inspired Arabian horse show people to take a razor to their horses' faces. 

He'd rolled in the mud, so I hot-toweled his face. Although  Mag has a mortal fear of towels, even he has to admit it feels good to have a hot face massage (no drips please). 

I stuck him in the stall in hopes he'd be agitated enough to put his ears up but instead he just gave me "meaningful" looks the entire time. He gets locked in a stall about once every 2 years, so it's very upsetting. (Funnily, since it's raining, he's standing in that same stall by choice right now).

But due to the lighting (?)  my camera would not pick up the details I wanted to capture. 

So I sent the few pics I liked through some filters. I am surprised that 9 year old Mag looks so much more mature than last year.





8 comments:

AareneX said...

There's no such thing as too many pictures of your horse.

When Story died, I only had a handful of photos that are actually good (one was taken near the finish line at Alpine!). Plus my tattoo, which was made from a photo of her. And that was all.

14 years into living with the Dragon, I've got photos of her EVERYWHERE, and I always want more...because someday, there won't be more.

(Yes, I also take photos of people, and my dogs. But the goats, not so much!)

AareneX said...

Also: your horse looks like an adult now (finally)! That took a while, silly boy.

Christie said...

He's such a pretty boy! I can't stand the shiny goop that Arabian showers often put on their faces. Looks ugly really. I like nice natural Mag, he doesn't need any enhancements. Most of them don't! You can never take too many pictures of your horse!

TeresaA said...

Too many photos? Is that a thing? I'm pretty sure that's not a thing. :)
Especially of such a beautiful horse!

Camryn said...

Never to many pix of Mags, or Bellis either. Take more, post more.

ellie k said...

How long have you had Mag now?

JenK said...

Look at that beautiful Arabian face! Such expression. He really is growing up to be a fine gentleman.

lytha said...

Aarene, I know how few photos you had of Story. You tressured them all.

Teresa, I was naming my blog post after a commenter I do not know, mimicking one of her blog titles, cuz she was so friendly.

Cmaryn, I will do my best! Bellis has her Winter coat again, so she looks "normal" again!

Ellie, I got Mag in 2016. That first winter I boarded him for some help, but unfortunately no one was there in the mornings when I was there. I did, however, get a deep relationship with him, simply cuz he was in a strange place and I was the one thing he knew, and his eyes never left me, no matter what I did. I spent hours every day with him, in snowy icy weather. In the peace of a large barn in the morning, with only this awesome Polish farm hand who could speak Polish with my Polish Arabian. I miss it, but I know the reason I liked it so much was that I knew it was temporary.

Mag is standing not far from my living room window right now asking for something more than just hay. Nothing is better.


Jenk, I'm part of an Arabian Horse Conformation Facebook Forum and there is much debate about modern vs classic Arabian conformation. Most of them despise the extremes of today. That the strethced pose of the show horse has become so extreme, it's hard to judge a horse. (See, also, Morgan Horse, Saddlebred Horse breeds). That is why I love going to the shows and seeing the stallions "back stage" - just standing relaxed. There is sometihng wrong with this, I think, that I have to go back stage to see what the horses really look like? I guess it's the same in all breed shows.

I hope Mag is growing up! I'm done with his foolish, dangerous behavior. Last week he nearly put my vet into an ambulance by violently refusing an anal exam (for worms). Ok then, now we know! (The vet laughed, thank God). BAD MAG. Will he always be so twitchy?