Tuesday, September 15, 2020

3.5 hour trail ride

Today blew Mag's mind, and not only once.

My good trainer SB brought her mare to my house with her horse trailer. In all my years I've never had this happen. It was surreal, because as I waited for her arrival, I kept thinking I was going to load my horse and go somewhere. To me, that is "normal life" but having someone trailer to my house and then simply go riding is a first. 

It was a trip to have a horse trailer with a horse tied to it in my pasture, the only place big enough to park. 



I wanted this to be a picnic ride but she's a dressage rider and they don't generally stop and tie up to a tree. Her horse and herself were outfitted as if she was going to a horse show, I was impressed (and underdressed).

The first thing that blew Mag's mind was when he discovered it is possible for him to carry a human that long. At about 2 hours in he started fussing. Shaking his head and trying to bite his reins. Of course I just ignored it but it was clear he was trying to say, "Enough now!" I let him stretch his nose to the ground because I suspected he was sore. He put his nose to the ground like a dog.


I took SB to the best loop we have, the Bayer loop. It is the longest loop close to home, and has very few interruptions of towns with streets. Last Monday I tried to find a loop with no streets/towns and was sad to discover those single tracks completely grown over. And dangerous, at one point Mag fell off the trail down a hillside. (Glad I wasn't on him!)

This is a very pretty loop, one I used to enjoy with S1 but it's quite far for her to reach, and the halfway point for us is actually very far from home. 


 

We had to share the trail with a countless bicyclists today. This is why I wear a blaze vest. Mag is fine with them, at least when he can hear them coming. Nordic walkers, mushroom seekers, sunny Sundays are the worst.

But SB was having a great time. She kept saying how pretty the landscape was, and stopping to take photos where the view was nice.

The 2nd thing that blew Mag's mind was when her mare Lilyfee, with no provocation, started doing a Spanish walk. Mag slid sidewayy, "What is wrong with her? Are we in danger?"

I laughed, "I've been told to be careful teaching that trick!" She said the mare offers it at odd times. I don't think I've ever seen that happen so I can say my mind was equally blown: )


 

Then Mag started to get footy on the gravel roads and I felt really bad. His hooves are so strong normally, but I guess he'd reached his limit. I let him poke along and SB patiently waited for us. Next time, Easyboots.

We had great conversations and what I like about SB is how normal she is, for a horse person. She pointed out things along the way, teaching me about the stinky swamp flowers, etc. She's like me. Riding isn't just about sitting on the horse but noticing nature and pointing it out to your companion. I told her right then I appreciate how normal she is: ) 

This is in stark contrast to the other person I rode with the last few years who is taking a "needed break" from me. The Ani story is pending.

I regaled SB with stories of my disqualification from a CTR competition, and the time I did CTR and CMO (orienteering) at the same time. 

She was cheerful and repeated how lovely the loop was. And she admitted it's been a while since she's ridden more than 3 hours. I must admit my knees were frozen when I finally hit the ground.

She said how perfect Mag is and I gave both Mag and Lilyfee carrots. 

Back home I asked if she'd allow me to ask Mag to at least look into her horse trailer. He has trailer terror, as you know.


 

As she untacked I led him up to it and he snorted and balked. I put no pressure on him, I just stood on the ramp, and then in the trailer. 

It's a funny German trailer that is sized for 1.5 horses. That means 1 horse, or 2 ponies, or a horse and its foal. Not wide enough for two horses. That sucks cuz following Lily in would have been a huge step forward with his training!

Eventually Mag put a hoof on the ramp and I said good enough. 

Then his mind was blown as SB led her mare right into the trailer. Mag's eyes were huge, "She just.....walked....into it!"

With the ramp up, the mare stomped around a bit in there which sent Mag backwards, "This is not safe!"

Poor Mag. He really needs help. What can I do. SB admitted, if you don't own your own trailer, there's no hope of training a horse to overcome its fear.

As I untacked I was suprised to see Mag was sweaty under the saddle.

Then I forgot to close the pasture gate to the street!! In a panic, I had to rouse my cramped legs into a run to close it before my animals discovered it open.

I heard galloping hooves behind me as I sprinted for the gate. I yelled, "Don't you dare Mag" and beat him to it.

Phew. That was the only time I've come close to losing my animals onto the street.

J is gone to vote now, he walked to the voting station. As he walked away he said, "Enjoy the couch."

I am. I really am.


Later in the evening I checked and his hooves are cool as well as his legs.


12 comments:

Tina said...

I bet that was hilarious seeing that mare so randomly do the spanish walk!!

lytha said...

Tina, I actually told her afterwards, that it was the highlight of the day: )

JenK said...

What a fabulous find in a trainer to trailer her horse to your place and accompany you on rides! She sounds super cool as well - good trainer and trail companion.

irish horse said...

Sounds like a great adventure! Yeah!

Tina said...

Also, it's nice to see you so relaxed with a trainer. Finally it seems you found one that is working with you like you want.

TeresaA said...

This is awesome! I love that you back on him!!!

and whle you can't train a trailer you can work with him to be used to stepping up and on different things. Like a sheet of plywood on the ground.

AareneX said...

Hooray hooray hooray!!!!! I love that you FINALLY had a good long ride with another sane horse and rider!

Nat D said...

Fabulous! I would be so sore after 3.5 hours it might just take me a whole week to recover.

Camryn said...

Love reading about your wonderful ride. Hope she’s able to trailer to you often.

HHmplace said...

Nice to see you out & about :-) Way too much "mind-blowing" :-)

Achieve1dream said...

I laughed out loud at the part about the random Spanish Walk and Mag's thoughts on it!! LOL! I've never seen a horse randomly offer it either so I would have been just as mind blown.

That sounds like such a FUN ride, although my knees are sympathy hurting just reading about it lol. Mag was so good aside from the fidgeting. I'm so glad you found a normal buddy to go riding with. :D

CSL said...

I am so excited for you! As hard as it is to find a horse that is a fit for you, it's almost that all over again to find someone and their horse who you can ride with, match goals, feel safe and enjoy! And so much to your advantage that she is a trainer and understands learning and teaching. I moved recently (6 weeks ago now) and we've not even left the stables here... I do not know the places, the trails, and I have no person here yet to show me.