Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Netherlands

47 caches in 7 hours! It's only possible on a bike tour in the pancake-flat Netherlands.

It was our only outing for 2020, and my first real bike tour. It turns out, I love my new bike! And I love that I only had to pay 940Euro for it, after hearing what our friends paid for theirs (2500E!). I wish I had close-up photos of their bikes, cuz they each had 3 electronic devices on the handlebars. Garmin, bike info, and cell phone. 


     


My husband was the only one with a regular bike. But honestly no one needs an ebike in that country.

Social distancing only works when everyone in the group agrees to do it, unfortunately. I kept backing away from people and they kept closing in on me. I feel like such a hypocrite; I'd been so careful until this day.




     




The foal below was so tiny! I'm not used to babies. When I was a kid I thought palomino was the ultimate color for a horse. That changed to bay in adulthood.


     


Our friends asked if we could have coffee and ice cream after our tour, and I said only if our table was outdoors, and far from other tables. It was my first time in a cafe/restaurant since February. I sterilized my hands  numerous times including my table, chair, and glass. I sat there pulling my mask down to sip my drink.

About our tour, I must be honest, I wanted to go fast and far, and instead we spent the 7 hours only going a total of 20KM, due to the 47 caches. Although I was prepared for that, halfway through the day I would take off on my bike and then turn around full speed back to the group. I just wanted to go! I kept quiet and did my part, got my blackberry thorn wound and fed a dozen mosquitos their lunchtime meal. And I did my part finding caches too.

I'm looking into taking a local bike tour, we'd have to take our bikes on the bus because there are no bike-friendly streets where we live. Being on a bike is like being on a boat. It can be sweltering out but if you go fast enough, the wind dries your sweat and it's pleasant.

***

Our hay was mown on Monday and we are in a little window of no rain this week, we're holding our breath and praying for no precipitation because last year our hay was rained on after cut.

J asked me what precipitation is, as we looked at my weather app. I said, "Stuff that falls from the sky." Later I said, "And, precipi........TATION is rain that falls later." (Only Gen Xers will get that.)

9 comments:

Nat D said...

Im a Gen-Xer and I dont get it? Happy to see you had a wonderful time.

Tina said...

I'm Gen x too and I don't get it either lol! Explain!!! LOL!

AareneX said...

Antici....


















...pation.

HHmplace said...

LOL! We'd have fun biking :-) How far from your home to where you rode? ebikes have been invading the trails here too. At least we have moderate hills to give people an excuse. I remember when we sat the rules for the Centennial Trail in WA. "No motorized" - I'm sure that's changed or in the process of...

lytha said...

Aarene, your format didn't show up in my preview until I opened this to comment just now. I have to show J, he'll love it too. I googled and apparently Mountlake Terrace and Tacoma still offer live performances. I regret that J never got to see the performance, only the audience participation. It was funny cuz he knows all the music by heart, and none of the audience lines. So I did the lines and he did the singing. He played one of the songs on the piano recently so that's likely why I thought of it.

Tina, NatD, we're talking about the Rocky Horror Picture Show, I'm ashamed to admit.

Connie, it was about 130km, so a little under 100 miles to the border where we parked. I've never taken such a long car ride to ride a bike *lol*

Tina said...

I am so ashamed. I should have gotten it then.

AareneX said...

BTW, I'm not a Gen Xer. I was watching *RHPS* in high school (had to sneak into the theater at that age, but there ya are), and one time my friends and I scored free cheesecake by performing the Time Warp (in costume, full voice) in a diner parking lot.

CSL said...

Not GenX here either, definitely a repeat stage hand for midnight showings of RHPS in college, LOVE IT. About caused my residency faculty to die of shock last year when I performed the Time Warp for them in the middle of our rounds one day (I did not jump on the table, so showed some restraint) - it was necessary as someone was looking confused and not understanding a RHPS reference. I am apparently NOT who they expected that from.

lytha said...

CSL, cool that you live in a city that has that opportunity. It's not just a movie.

I'm happy to hear the performaances are still being acted out! My husband is part of a Kabaret group (since 1985!)that finally retired this year. It was a sad, and very rambuncious end-party for the city of Wuppertal where they performed. I feel a part of him is gone now, that he needs the theater in his life, not just music. I hope he finds something.

Residency? I was an intern recently at a hospital here in Germany in: ER, ICU, and OR, and no, there is no smiling.