Sunday, July 5, 2020

My ride with #4

As promised I got on the horse today and it went well, to my surprise. I was surprised because it was terribly windy (my phone app said, "Watch for gusts") and it's Sunday and hot out so everyone was in the woods today. And the freaking horseflies, worse day yet.

#4 was like, "You ride now?" I said, "Yes, let's see."

Mag welcomed me back after so long and plodded along under me. Why such plodding? I asked. Where's the forward march? Where's the enthusiasm that is his normal?

I don't know, but I suspect he felt my hesitation and was dialing it down for my sake. *shrug*

We traded again and then again, so I rode about half the time. The second time was much better, he was normal.

We came across an entire family of people including Fido and they were all pressed to the side of the trail like statues, motionless. Mag and I did not not like it, one little bit. But I said hello to them and they responded so all's good.

Many bicycles today, and elderly people with elderly dogs, laughing at the way Mag was ripping up clover in huge mouthfulls.

#4 said by September she'll be bringing her horse here to ride with me. I said, "That sounds like a good goal."

I enjoy her company so much, it's such a wonderful feeling to talk horses for an hour straight! I think the two of us will never run out of conversation.

I got a few pics of her on Mag but they were so bad I had to crop and run them through filters to make them worth looking at.

At the end of the day, it was good. 

     







     

She called him "Little angel" and Ani calls him "Little man" and every one else around her calls him "Little horse" and I'm stuck wondering why Baasha, Mara, and Mag are always monikered as tiny things.

It's a German thing, I know. German horses are monsters. But come on, give him some dignity, ppl, he's bigger than you!

6 comments:

Nat D said...

Fantastic! Riding twice is even better! I love that you are enjoying your time with her.

I remember one day buying a horse blanket at the local tack shop for hunter/jumpers. The saleswoman asked me the height of my QH mare. I said 15h. She said “oh, we love ponies”. I left, insulted. 🤣

irish horse said...

Glad you rode! I’m sure Mag can feel your anxiety. Are you going out on your own (even hiking) without #4? It might help reinforce good experiences (both you and Mag!)

Tina said...

What is it with people not adjusting their stirrups? I can't wait until you two ride together?

AareneX said...

Tina, LOL, I had the same thought about stirrups!

TeresaA said...

I am with Tina- what's with the stirrup length. Maybe I'm too dressage now. :)

I am soooooo happy that you rode Mag. He's such a good boy and was probably happy to have you back up there.

HHmplace said...

I MISS talking "horse' So Very Much!