Wednesday, April 8, 2020

An arrow, a complaint, and a box of chocolates

I always dreamed I've live so far out in the country I'd have no neighbors to complain about.

It turns out I like having neighbors, I feel like they keep an eye on my animals. I always loved the German saying people post in their gardens, "The dear Lord sees everything. The neighbors, even more." (Until this week when I learned it actually refers to Germans' overwhelming tendency to snoop, interfere, and complain. Oh well.)

When we had our hay field dragged last month, the tractor guy found an arrow and gave it to us. A really nice arrow.

Our neighbors on the far side of our pasture, the fir grove, like archery. They have a variety of fake animal prey set up and every Saturday you can hear the thudding of arrows connecting with targets.

It always makes me uneasy when I'm out there cleaning poop and they're shooting. And I imagine my horse standing in the wrong place at the wrong time.

This arrow was really nice. It seemed made of oak with a blunt metal tip and feathers.

I wanted to do the right thing so rather than tossing it I drove around the neighborhood and found the house I assumed belonged to the shooting grove. I twirled it around like a baton waiting for someone to answer the door and handed it to the man when he finally came. He was thrilled, he said they'd searched (but obviously respected our fenceline, or perhaps the fact that it's an electric fence?).

***

We have some very, very bad neighbors who live directly next door to us. Chickens, barking dogs, blaring country music in the yard, and a teenage boy who yells at his computer every night so loud our neighbors up the street can hear him. The husband is a cop and very nice. The lady is a bitch. It's funny how over the last 11 years we've finally gotten the news from other neighbors that it's her, not us. She's the crazy one. At our favorite turkish restaurant, the owner confessed to us, "She's not normal. She yelled at me for picking walnuts out of the grass when she could have spoken politely."

In 11 years she's never rang our doorbell, and I've given up on giving them extras from our garden.

So it was a huge surprise to see her standing in our driveway today.

As is her style, she was more rampage than courtesy. She told us that the rain pipes on our house are draining water onto her property (that's how close they are, that's how much misery their chickens caused us).

Our rain down-spouts? We've not done anything to them in 11 years. True, it's not ideal to have your rain water just pour down next to your house (those little concrete troughs that exist in America do not exist here).  But she was going off. "This is not acceptable!"

My husband was surprised and she said, "What do you mean, you're surprised!" Um, just that. It's been that way since 1930 when that addition was built onto the house.

I told J later, I understand getting hormonal and stressed about potential water damage. But I do not accept her attitude. If I were to confront a neighbor about something like this, I'd do it with politeness and even apologetically cuz it may end up costing that neighbor thousands of Euros in renovation. I joked, "It's time for us to lawyer up!"

I know there are worse neighbors on this Earth. I really appreciate the good ones.

***

My doorbell rang this afternoon and there was the bow & arrow man. He smiled and handed me a box of chocolates. I explained, "I just thought, if it were something valuable, I'd want it back. So, how much does such an arrow cost?" He told me 10 Euros and thanked me again. Wow.

8 comments:

Shirley said...

The good outweighs the bad!

Camryn said...

Agree with Shirley. We’ve had them all. My biggest peeve is allowing dogs to come fence fight with my fenced in dogs! I warn twice then, make the call. Warden says that while he does have to see them loose, he can still go warn them. And 9 times out of 10 loose dogs won’t be properly licensed so, it costs them when they check.

Kitty Bo said...

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

AareneX said...

We have *wonderful* neighbors...except one. There's always one house, isn't there? We call them the "Reavers" (do you know *Firefly*?) because they always sound like they are eviscerating their children--and they have at least 7 children still at home. Of course, that is also the house that has 200+ chickens/geese and a pony and a donkey and some goats on fewer than 2 acres. They are down the road a bit from us, but we can still hear them screaming at each other, especially now that everyone is on "stay home."

Can you have a rain barrel? I'm not sure how else to change a water system that's almost 100 years old!

AareneX said...

Oh, and annoying dogs? Those dogs live at my house! Every Thursday morning Foxie gets up early and "chases" the garbage truck away (Fox is fenced away from the street, obvs). Then, the recycling truck an hour later. "GO AWAY AND STAY AWAY!"

And they do stay away, for an entire week.

TeresaA said...

Sounds like she was in a really bad mood and decided that it was all your fault. I would ignore it. On the other hand the arrow people are really nice. I wonder if they like chickens.......

lytha said...

Aarene, do I know Firefly: ) I have this amazing compendium of all the scripts and all the sketches for ships and costumes. J knows how much I love that show, and the movie. In fact we were talking about the Reavers the other day. Cuz I'd made this beautiful woodpile using the trunks of two massive pines. It's a piece of art, those two massive trees holding up my perfectly round pieces of wood that gradually decrease in circumference as they go up. I was admiring it when I was struck with the thought, if they are like the Ents, than I am the Reavers. If those trees are sentient, and they witnessed the massive destruction of 30+ of their beloved friends. And what do we do with the bodies? We either burn them or place the body parts on the still-living ones! LIke the Reavers putting their victims on their ships! How awful!

I've visited you so I know that your dogs are large-truck reactive. Motorcycles too? Walkers? Bicyclists? Horses? Horse carriages? Electric wheelchairs? Strollers? I guess you don't have that kind of mixed traffic. That bloddy dachshund is barking at a jogger as I type this. It's almost amusing, she's so incredibly good at her job of letting the entire neighborhood know when anything at all goes by. They have two other dogs who don't make a peep. They weren't born compulsive.

I think rain barrels at each down spout might be a patch to the system that might possibly satisfy her. Certainly the least expensive option! The thing is, you know, they overflow when it rains.

Teresa, I know, at least, I tell myself that. But all indications point to that emotional state being permanent when it comes to dealing with people. We're not sure what to do but I find it interesting that you came to the same conclusion as me today - ignore it. Like Aarene said it's been this way for 90 years.

I have to do a post about the chickens soon!

HHmplace said...

The Good, Bad & Ugly of neighbors! At the Homestead, the one thing I do Not miss - is the neighbors... The pit that attacked me, the ones across from our entrance who hit our fence more than once & never owned up or paid up?! Those arrows would sure make me nervous, but now that you're "buddies" maybe they will be more "aware"!