Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Euro horse trailers

I lost my horsey independence in the Spring of 2007 when I moved to Germany. I miss it sorely.

Today J said we're gonna refinance our home and we should make a few extra purchases to fully enjoy the low rate.

I said nothing, my mind spinning around all the remodeling this 1890 house needs, and how much I hate remodeling, and contractors.

I much prefer lawyers to contractors. I would give my lawyer my last Starbucks Via packet, (obtained at great lengths) whereas I'd wipe my shoes free of dust after exiting our contratcor's property in Burscheid.

J said, "You could get a horse trailer."

Did he just say what I think he said?

I realized, "We finally have a place to PUT one!" September 1 we'll own 6 individual land parcels, with 3 of them adjacent to the street so there's the possibility of parking a vehicle.

"Of course we have no pulling vehicle."

Right. That might impede my re-found independence in owning my 3rd horse trailer.

*rubs hands*

J is now looking to see if the Land Cruiser comes in hybrid. Yes, but we're not rich. If we could afford a Land Cruiser, it will be a sad example of one, I'm afraid.

My first problem is I hate European horse trailers. I started looking at them, again, online today and slamming the web sites shut, "I HATE THIS!" with Data's voice in my head from that time he discovered emotions.

The fact that Mag also hates European horse trailers just bolsters my conviction that they are all for crap. (I swear, if I just had a stock trailer here, or my "open floor plan" 3-horse Triton from back home...poor Mag might be OK.)

I miss my Triton so much, and recently shopped on DreamHorse and found one similar to mine for only 5K$. Holy crap that's cheap. They're aluminum and synthetic materials, so they never rot and never rust.

Why is like this here? Many, (and not too long ago, MOST)trailers here are wooden with freaking canvas material for roofing. Not even a solid roof.

Here is a link to show you what this still-ubiquitous trailer looks like. You'll note it's from the 90s, in case you were tempted to think the 50s.

Here is a modern horse trailer made of plywood. They are not afraid to use that word. No joking, click on that just to see how proud they are of that word.

Are there any trailers in Europe without ramps?

Are there any with a large tack area in front? Am I kidding myself? *sigh*

You may recall in 2007 I crewed at an FEI endurance ride for Gabrielle Foerster (with her US Kanavy horse Priceless Gold). I wasn't very good crew for her, and she was no fun at all to crew for. She had this french horse trailer called Fautras and I thought it was strange and kind of crappy, but I later realized it's the most American-like trailer in Europe.

...search....

.........browse.....

...um gottes willen ist das alles........

As of 17:46 in the PM (*giggle* of course it's the PM if it's more than 12), I am veering strongly toward the french trailer Fautras. The one I thought was just sufficient but now I realize is as good as it might get here.

OH, I forgot to tell you my personal wishes. Alu/poly, no under-horse-head tack area, swinging rear doors, ....oh man, I've lowered my standards so much I guess that's it.

I had redesigned my Triton 3 horse slant into a large two horse with huge tack room and I had the tack wall cut in half and made removeable/adjustable so I could pull up a chair in my tack area and hang out with my horses in the event of rain. I often sat up there and shared my lunch with them.

What to do.

Ask the horse bloggers' help!

This "sufficient" Fautras seems to best meet my wishes. It oddly holds "either 2 horses, or 3 smaller ones" - OK. Is that a thing in America? Did you know that in Germany there is a large market for 1+ trailers? Which means "mare plus foal."

A Fautras Oblic is slant/straight adjustable, no ramp, alu/poly and has this freaking ridiculous window that pops UP. The trailer weighs between 2600 and 3000kg.

Why on earth would you want a horse trailer window to defy gravity while open, just propped in mid-air,  instead of flipping DOWN to secure to the side of the trailer? Logic anyone?

I don't know why every single model Fautras makes has a front unload door. That should not be required...wait....ohhhhhh....I think I get it now. It's cuz European horses don't know about step downs! They all know ramps just as all European horses know what it's like to be ridden/driven on pavement wearing steel shoes. Rather than ask Europeans riders to teach their horses to back off a step, they provide a front door on all their trailers. OK then. That probably amounts to a lot more profit for their company.

Finally, here are photos of the Fautras.

I like the Oblic best, because both the divider wall and "tack room" wall are removeable/adjustable. It's the most adjustable trailer I've ever seen. This flip up window is still killing me. I love how they made the tack room wall only 3/4 high, cuz why  not?

Images: Fautras Oblic 1 Problem is with that one - they are 13K Euros new. Paying 11K used is ridiculous.

Oblic 2 Sadly, same argument. I'm finding almost no Fautras models for sale that are not nearly new. I saw in total 2 that were 10 years old, and they looked great, but they still wanted 8K Euros for them.

My problem persists - finding vehicles that retain shockingly high value after years of use.

Help? I'd appreciate any help at all in any aspect of my problem. I hope there is someone reading this who knows my dilemna, perhaps knows options I have not seen yet.

14 comments:

AareneX said...

When I bought my trailer (egad, 15+ years ago), used trailers were just a tiny bit cheaper than new trailers, and if anything went wrong, too bad. So I sucked it up and bought my very first (and so far, only) new vehicle for about $7,000 (which was a lot of money for me then...and now!). I could probably sell it for $5,000 now.

This year it's getting a cleanup/facelift, having been hauled hither and yonder for all this time, with very few problems considering the enormous miles over bad roads!

So: consider buying new. Obviously a trailer will hold value for many years if you decide to sell it!

Of course, the advantage to lightweight European-style trailers is that you won't need a 3/4 ton Dodge diesel to pull it (can you even buy that kind of truck there for civilian use?) and a nice Honda CRV will do the trick!

EvenSong said...

I feel your pain, as I am shopping some, too, right now.
Looking at the French trailer I’m thinking it does have a little bit of American feel to it. The upswing side wall does seem odd, but I can see it being useful if you are needing full access to your horse— awkward but useful. Seems an invitation to jump out...
And yes there are folks in the US, especially out west here, that will take the dividers out and squeeze an extra horse or two in. (Why not just get a stock trailer, then?) I’ve never been a fan of the unsealed tack wall, just because I can get my tack room dirty enough without my horses’ help.
I do like ramps on my trailers, but I suppose that’s left over from when I was hauling mamas and foals – – much easier and safer for babies to maneuver. And now with Kate’s issues with her hind leg I am more prone to let her turn around In the trailer than require her to back off. Both of the warm bloods that I board had no clue about backing out, and huge as they are they know how to turn around in my standard-sized trailer.
If you got a pulling vehicle, would you keep the Prius? If two vehicles in the family, what about an older horse box? Used exclusively for moving Mag, mileage might not be such an issue, since I’m thinking you wouldn’t be going far... or, with the same logic, an older pickup to be used exclusively as a “farm truck”? My Jimmie only goes a few thousand miles a year, mostly hauling horses or farm supplies.
So many options!

AareneX said...

I'm looking at the Diagonal Pferdeanhänger Fautras Oblic +2 mit Frontausstieg, and can't figure out if there's a tack compartment--assuming you haul two horses, if just one horse obviously you just put stuff on the other side?

It's really a simple design, I kind of like it.

(but you'll have to pry my own trailer out of my cold dead hands)

lytha said...

Aarene, thank you for looking. It seems to be a tiny little area to stuff saddles and bridles and nothing else for the love of pete. I like the flexible design where the divider and "tack room wall" can be removed. I guess ALL my stuff would have to be in my CRV: ) Your trailer, after all Jim's work, no one will take it from you!

AareneX said...

RE: cramming an extra horse into a trailer, it's been done.

However, given that a trailer is actually designed (by engineers and stuff) to balance correctly and have sufficient axle strength to support the horses, unless the place was on fire and stacking up was the only way to evacuate in a hurry, I don't recommend it.

I haul all kinds of stuff in my horse trailer (furniture, firewood, the quad, other weird farm junk, and and the piano when we were moving!), but we pay pretty close attention to weight and distribution of weight.

Becky Bean said...

Bwahahahaahahahahahahaha!

Only the finest of plywood for you and your horse. Equi Plywood - for the discerning horse owner hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Okay. Okay, I'll stop laughing soon. it's just.... the idea of classy plywood is just tickling my funny bone right now.

Nat D said...

How funny! My dream is/was to buy a boekman trailer since I could easily pull with my suv. That horsey dream has since faded as I focus my attention on other things. If you want to see some really scary trailer options, check out how they transport horses in Costa Rica. Open cube trucks that they back up to big sandy mounds to load/unload. Hilarious!

lytha said...

Becky, I'm so glad someone cracked up at that Plywood horse trailer like I did when I found it today. To be honest my husband was perplexed by my amusement because he built our little horse shelter out of treated wood that could be called plywood, I suppose.

I guess in my mind it's one thing to build a barn out of wood and another to build a freaking vehicle meant to travel the AUTOBAHN.

Aarene, Buy new? I've never.....I've owned 14 vehicles in my life since the age of 16 and I've never bought new. Then again Germany has hefty warranties even on used items. Not like Costco, *lol* ....


EvenSong, I appreciate all your thoughts - wow, you have a lot of experience with different horses and trailers. I've only ever had the good ones and now I have two bad ones. Do you remember? Mag will sacrifice himself and go in for me, and if forced to transport will sweat himself soaked, and arrive in puddle of his own terror-sweat. It breaks my heart, after all my work with him.

The donkey no way. Will require sedation and heavy machinery. *SIGH* And I need another animal who Mag knows, to make transport less horrific for him.

But if I could get a trailer, I could help them both.

ND, Costa Rica? I've been to Texas!: ) *hug*

Melissa-ParadigmFarms said...

I personally will not own a step-up trailer unless it is a stock trailer where the horses can turn around and walk off, not back off. I've known a couple of horses that had major issues unloading because they hated stepping off into space, and they were just frantic about it. I've not personally owned a horse with that issue, but in boarding horses you see a lot of horses and their various quirks/issues, and unloading issues based around step-up trailers is more common than I realized. Also, some of our retirees with hind-end issues would find backing off a step-up trailer uncomfortable but are fine on the ramp. Thus, I like the idea of the horses being able to unload up front from a straight load trailer with no ramp. I know a couple of people with Boekman trailers that really like them. Obviously they are not our big, American-sized goosenecks, but seem to make efficient use of their space and haul well. When I downsize my horse life at some point in the distant future I would probably get a Boekman (because there is a dealer in Ontario, Canada so you can get them fairly easily) and have an SUV to tow it to eliminate needing a heavy duty diesel truck.

I clicked on the link to the plywood trailers. They certainly don't look like they have much ventilation! I have never heard of a plywood horse trailer . . .

Just so you know I'm not completely trailer biased, I have a two horse, straight load gooseneck with a ramp and a Featherlite gooseneck stock trailer that is a step-up.

lytha said...

Melissa, NatD, Boeckmann!!! Wow, I'm amazed you've heard of them. Our show jumper/hay farmer guy Carsten pulls one with his Audi. It's a warmblood model and I'm always amazed how much hay he can put in there. It's the Freaking Tardis. Huge on the inside and wimpy out.

If I had a warmblood I would go there.

I just long after the American feel and look of you know, super stabile vehicles that might survive a roll-over.

Melissa, I guess now I know why all Fautras trailers come with a forward walk out. I've never had a horse who had an issue with a step down but I've only had a handful and you've had scores (to use the term correctly, and well, probably many scores). Thank you for checking my links.

You've been to Europe so I think you know there is no such thing as a gooseneck.

Now I'm looking at towing vehicles which has driven me into the darkness because Germany's new rules on emissions have made even a Toyota Land Cruiser Class 3, which means it wouldn't be allowed to drive into city centers. I could hover about them though! Seriously Germany.

Someone recently looked at our (super-rare) Prius and said, "Oh, it's benzin (normal gas) and hybrid? You'll soon be the only folk allowed to drive into Cologne!"

WTH! BMW and VW and Mercedes......shut out at the gate into Berlin?

Kitty Bo said...

The idea of pulling a horse trailer with a Honda CRV rather horrifies me, but I know Europeans don’t think anything of this because their options are limited. I hope you can find something substantial enough.

TeresaA said...

My first trailer was a European one and I loved it. I hauled it with Nissan Xtrail with no trouble. The faustrss are really nice. And a well maintained trailer holds value. I would stay clear of plywood. No matter what, at some point it’s going to rot.

lytha said...

KB, I've seen it! I think they can only take one horse at a time though.

Teresa, Plywood? I would call it a joke but it's real. I don't even want wooden fences anymore, if after 10 years they start to degrade. At this point, in my town, wooden trailers are still more common than plastic.

TeresaA said...

Mine was fibreglass but had a plywood floor which I had to replace.