Thursday, November 15, 2018

Video of me talking to myself while riding

I love having Ani nearby! She comes to meet me where I first enter the woods, at my bench where I tie Mag up - I mean, I don't have to go one meter out of my way to meet up!





Today she was a half hour late but that was great cuz I found some great places to train Mag off-trail. I found the perfect spot - a large grove of shoulder-high beech bushes. Spindly and thick, but perfectly safe and flexible. The only drawback was they're tasty, but after I convinced him not to snack, he and I walked through them and got tangled up in them and he never kicked out, despite them brushing his entire body and saddle on both sides. Yesterday he was kicking out at nothing standing in his pasture, so this made me very happy. I'll definitely be going back there to practice!

We stayed off trail and went over some pretty challenging fallen firs, the kind that will ruin your tack and put holes in your horse's legs if you hit them right. I was right though and most of those sharp branches just broke off when he hit them. Much riskier than the beech bushes but he has to learn that feeling too around his legs.

When Ani finally arrived, she said she was only allowed to do a short loop because the owner says the mare is not fit to do a longer loop. *sigh * (Not at walking speed, with Ani weighing perhaps 50kg soaking wet?)

It's fine and we rode my favorite trail today, the only single track in the land.

And MAG LED THE ENTIRE WAY! Woo! I didn't know what the mafia mare would say about that she normally pushes past us and leaves us behind. But somehow she was OK today and followed him with no issues. I kept turning around and asking, "Everything OK back there? How is she?" No problems!

And Mag was great, as usual he loves to lead and didn't spook at anything. He told me about things that were different on the trail - a fallen branch, a new log, but only by glancing at them, no other reaction. Wow.

Ani and I were having conversations the entire time and that helped me remain calm, and proved to me again that Mag is really just fine out there.

At the end, I jumped off and praised him and told him he was wonderful and laughed as he expected payment in cookies. Ani said, "That went really well - I think that this is the first time I've ever enjoyed myself on this mare!"

I told her, "I'm so thankful to have you to ride with, and it's really great that you're so close!"

We split up and I happily led Mag along the creek until we came across an old lady peeing, oops, that doesn't usually happen! Mag, be quiet, let's hide til she pulls up her pants! Shhhh...





The lady chatted with us a bit as I took photos of the sunbeams coming through the trees.



Mag watched her go away.





My camera is dying and won't open sometimes: (

Then I got on Mag and started singing Christmas carols and it turns out some of them really go well to the beat of walking speed. Sleigh Ride is my favorite secular song so I sang it a few times in entirety but it's not the easiest song to sing while riding. I couldn't think of any others that go along with the hoofbeats so I kept at it, hoping no one had to hear me.

I got to my favorite switchback and felt confident enough to ride one handed and make a video.







It's so weird to see Canola blooming in November! Then again, I have dandelions blooming in my pasture.





When I got home I was beaming with happiness about how GOOD Mag can be.

As I untacked he put everything in his mouth - my Kool Aid bottle, the vinegar bottle (for hooves) anything he could reach, he'd pick up and let fall to the ground. It was adorable.

Then Ani came by on her bike to get my rope halter and long lead rope, my old set that I use for Bellis walks. She really needs it with that mare. She asked me where she can get a rope halter and I suggested we go to the big tack store on Saturday, because I think you should actually see rope halters rather than buying online.





The windstorm on Tuesday shook all the walnut trees naked, so I've got my work cut out for me. Then, no more mowing, no more raking, just snow shoveling.

15 comments:

AareneX said...

Beautiful photos--and your camera is dying. Yours is lasting longer than mine (well, Fiddle stepped on the last one, but before that I killed one with dirt + constant use.

Yay for Ani being so close by!

The Kelly's Adventures in KY said...

What a beautiful day! I hope you'll be able to revisit that video and relive how great Mag did on your secret switchback trail. So glad that Annie had a nice experience riding that mare too! Now I have that song stuck in my head... Have a great trip to the tack store!

lytha said...

Aarene, Mag kicked this one across the paddock smashing it into the barn wall, so I'm amazed it somewhat works.

I'm feeling pressured to buy a smart phone but have many reasons not to. But phone, navi, and camera in one pocket unit would be nice.

Kellys, I thought the same thing, I need to come back and watch it again and again. The day started bitterly cold and windy, I had to actually go back in and put a vest on under my hoodie, and wear gloves! Last week I wore shorts and a tshirt two days in a row. That song, I couldn't remember any other line, nor what it was called, it was driving me crazy cuz I know William Shatner sang it in Boston Legal. Now I know it's Holly Jolly Christmas.

EvenSong said...

What a WONDERFUL ride!! Both with the mafia mare, and by yourselves! YAY!!

Nat D said...

Perfection! Love! La la la la la la la la la!

More Mag solo riding videos please! He is such a gem!

lytha said...

Evensong, Yay, thanks for your encouragement!

ND, OK, but you know I have to ride with one hand.....: ) I'm glad you enjoyed it. Looking forward....

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Thanks for the ride-along. You have a beautiful voice. I've never heard it before in any of your videos.

lytha said...

NM, I was tempted to mention how much I hate the sound of my recorded voice, my entire life, but then, just today I thought, "Grow up a little" and I thought I shouldn't apologize for my voice. Until now I did my best to not talk in my videos. But maybe I should just grow up, and thank you for that. Next you gotta hear my flawless German. JK!! I get by...

HHmplace said...

Love the photos of the fall color & in the woods! Those colors are just amazing! No wonder it's your favorite trail! I used to use a similar hackamore - so nice to read of your enjoyable ride!

HHmplace said...

Whoops - see the bit in another photo :-)

Kitty Bo said...

Loved this. Loved the video. "Do you have his ears?" Yes, you had his ears. I used to sing oh what a beautiful morning to my Maguire as it had good walking rhythm. I would have loved to have long trotted down that beautiful path, always being ever ready for the sideways jump away from wooly buggers that weren't there. Thank you for sharing this! I think if you got a smart phone, a good one, you would wonder why you ever waited.

lytha said...

Connie, I think I live in a place much like where you live now, but where you are the population density is well, ya know.

KB, omg You and Aarene should come up with the best songs to sing at a walk and trot. The great things about "Beautiful Morning" and "Holly Jolly Christmas" - no one in Germany knows them so you don't have to feel as silly when someone hears you. I actually sing 80s commercial songs cuz no one would ever look down on me for that. Or maybe I'm just old?

I love that you noticed his ears on me when I spoke!

OK tell me. What exactly would be good about a smart phone. Please. I have really good reasons for not getting one.

AareneX said...

Songs!
Walking songs: Aiken Drum, I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly
Trotting songs: Battle of New Orleans ("in 1814 we took a little trip") Yellow Submarine
Cantering songs: Waltzing with Bears, Waltzing Matilda
Galloping songs: shut up and hold on, srsly, no singing needed here.

Smart phone: camera, gps, phone, all in one device.

The advantage to a camera-gps-phone is that you won't leave home without any of the three things. I used my camera when my car got smacked into, sent the photos to the insurance company and got a (slightly) better adjustment when I pointed out the fluid on the road that was visible in the photos. I also use it to text people my riding "flight plan" (where I'm parked, when I'm leaving, the route I expect to take, when I return) which is good for safety stuff because I often ride solo. The gps I use mostly when driving, but if I get bewildered on a trail, I turn on the gps so I can navigate back in a sane way.

I also use my smart phone for fact-checking on the fly, but that's because I'm a library info-nerd, you don't have to be that person.

AareneX said...

Oh, another smartphone virtue: I load books and comics on mine, so when I'm stuck somewhere and surrounded by stuff I can escape and read. Some people put movies on, but that's too much distraction for me.

Kitty Bo said...

All the things Aarene said. Plus you have someone to remind you of things. "Hey Siri, remind me to turn off the water in 3o minutes." You can get a waist pack for carrying your phone. Just make sure you get a nice smart phone and not something cheap and slow that will disappoint you.