Friday, October 12, 2018

How do they get the organs out of you?

Friday. Have I ever needed one so badly since graduating from UW? No, unless you count the weeks I spent doing my medic training in Dortmund, but here I am, at home, with no energy to do house work or mow or rake.

Just now I cleaned up a portion of the horse poop from the last three days when I had no energy to do so.

The moon came up, a tiny sliver, and I asked God, "Doesn't everyone love a sliver moon rise after an exhausting day?"

The answer was immediate, "The heavens declare the glory of God, the firmament showeth his handiwork." OK then.

Mag if fluffy now as I packed hay into nets and prepared their mashes for tomorrow. So fluffy. Follow the white rabbit.

Today is the last day of school before Autumn break, a blessed 2 weeks off for kids and teachers (they only get 6 weeks off in Summer).

My husband is sick with a cold but I keep assuring him it's NOT the sinus infection I had.

Because today, 14 days later, was the first day I could cough without an agonizing headache. I coughed SO happily today, full power, no awful repercussions.

Thank God, I think I'm on the other side of this infection. I still get dizzy when I stand up, but I don't have the agony.

***

I have this booklet full of exercises I must accomplish during my internship and one of them today referred to beatmung (long-term ventilator) and tracheotomy, and I thought of Herr W again. Is he still in ICU?

I got permission, despite my green outfit and hat and mask, to walz into ICU to ask for one signature. I saw a dozen nurses I'd never met, but finally Marcus, a familiar face, came out of isolation and said hi to me. "MARCUS! I need your help, please sign here that I observed Herr W's treatments."

I leaned into him, "How is Herr W?" He pointed up, "He's on station now. " ("normal" recovery rooms, our hospital has 4 floors of "normal") I said, "And how is he? BETTER?!" Marcus shrugged nonchalantly, "He's still dying, no brain activity."

What, no.


Marcus complained when that was all I needed. He's a sweetheart.

As usual, the ICU nurses ask me, when they see me, how I'm enjoying the OR. I always say, "So much less stress, thank you for asking!" I saw  Nicole yesterday, and a delighted Michelle today, to see me. What a surprise! The ICU people were 80% awesome, ,and 20% pffft.

***

So not only do we have Hi-Def TVs to watch a patient's insides getting rented apart with burning tools, ....there is a freaking 3-D TV! I was wondering why the docs all had glasses on.

My manager Christophe gave me a pair and I could enjoy the view in perfect reality.

But I was stubbornly seated at the anethesia desk, drawing vitals down every 5 minutes. Love that so much.

But then I saw how they remove organs you ask to have removed.

Omygosh.

Um, well...do you know?

I'm sorry to say I have no idea what organ that was. I'd exceeded my inquiry quota for that patient by the time they skewered her belly thrice. Two cutter burners and one camera with light. Yes.

I love this stuff. I love what we look like inside. Before this week, I'd only seen ultrasounds and MRTs. Now I know. We're COLORFUL inside.

And there's no blood when they cauterize every cut of the thing.

Whatever it was! It was large, maybe fist-sized? and white/grey, smooth in color. What was it? I know they also collected her Eier Leiter (fallopian tubes).

So...what to do with an organ you want out?

I am dragging this lovely story out because my husband refuses to let me tell him. Not even the pretty colors.

They put a freaking Handle-Tie Bag in your belly and manipulate your organs until the ones they had already cut off are dragged in, or forced in, and that takes a while cuz no surgeon has more than two hands. Really, surgeons seem to need 6.

They stuff your organs into that plastic sack and then expertly tie shut the handle-tie bag.

Are you ready for what comes next? I was not.

Then they shove a long vacuum tube into the Glad Handle-Tie Bag and apply suction.

Oh my.

That's all I have to say about that.

***

I had a great day cuz I had great people to work with again, who did not complain if I disappeared to use the toilet or sit down for 10 minutes to rest my aching feet.

I had many kind experiences with nurses, and OP assistants, curious about me, and about Seattle. |

My boss calls me Seattle-girl and even "Meine Liebe Seattle Girl" (my dear Seattle girl).

What a blessing to have such a nice day, with great people, and hopefully the patients had good dreams.

I love it when a patient wakes up, like I did my one time under, and says, "What, you're DONE?"

Can't wait to be done, but I'm really enjoying it.

I rode the bus home with Hurrija, the Turkish girl, and my goodness, she's my only friend who wears an Islamic head covering. In the hospital, I had no idea cuz wer'e all dressed alike. I see when she leaves, she's exactly as covered, but must more lovely. I felt like a slob next to her in jeans. Just so, so tired.

See you Monday Hurrija! 

1 comment:

Kitty Bo said...

I wanted to be a doctor but made the mistake of marrying my first husband and quitting college. I love medicine and watch some medical dramas on TV. So really enjoy your descriptions. I worked for a veterinarian when I was 16 and loved the surgical part. It sounds like you are enjoying yourself also. More friends!