Friday, June 22, 2018

New white set

Since I was able to sell my white Zilco set for a really nice price, I don't have to feel so guilty about replacing it with *beta* biothane which Lord willing and the creek don't rise, will stay white.

Since I loved almost everything about the Zilco model, I sent Nelaya the photo below. "Can you make this, but better?"

I must have sent her 20 specific criteria which mostly differ from the bridles she normally makes. I may have been her most demanding customer ever, but she remained pleasant and in touch with me constantly the last few weeks. Maybe it helps that we both have Polish Arabians?


     





     

Then she mailed me this photo of my new bridle and I gasped, that is IT! Then she said she needs more measurements because the throatlatch seemed too short, so I got out the measuring tape again.

She'd asked me if I want extra keepers (bling) and I said no, but when I opened the package yesterday, she'd thrown in a handful of extras. So much contrast!



     

These two rings she had to special order for me - none of her bridles have these exact pieces.



     

Then I saw the reins and gasped, they're way nicer than I expected, and have not only the black "grips" but black where it attaches to the bit, with real buckles (there is only one conway on this entire set). When I lay it on my table, the entire bridle collapsted into a puddle of buttery soft beta. My other bridles "stand up."

My husband said, "It's leather?" No: ) It just feels and looks like it.

The tags said, "Maintenance Free" but I beg to differ. Even biothane must be washed from time to time.

     


Ironic because I decided to go with a German manufacturer, and it says "Made in the USA."

My new set only cost 124 Euros including shipping! That's 14E more than what I got for my 4-year old Zilco.


     

I got to ride in my new set today, and the reins were gloriously soft but secure from the grips. We'll see how it performs in the rain/sweat though.



     

Hm, where else can I stick a keeper. If I could alter this bridle, I'd ask for more of the black backing of the browband. It's pretty minimal. I'd also ask for keepers from rubber and not this hard plastic she used, and they don't stay put. Maybe when they get dirty they will?



     

Runaway keeper on the chin strap. But the bridle fits perfectly.



     

I just now washed my breastcollar cuz it was nasty in comparison to the bridle, which you cannot see in the photos because my camera washes everything out.



     

Karen blogged today that a judge told her that her white saddle pad makes her Arabian look "dingy." No, the white just shows that our horses are not actually pure white, but light grey. What would that judge say about Mag's turnout?: )



     


Regarding our ride, it was cool, rainy, and windy today. Mag's tail stayed clamped to his butt the entire 3 hours. And he gave a huge spook at a bus passing us that he didn't hear until the last moment, and almost sat down, losing his balance.

It's also garbage day so we had to deal with trucks on 3 occasions. Mag reaches out and touches all the trash cans, one after the other, but one of them he hit with his stirrup and that scared him. Which is odd cuz he runs into trash cans all the time and doesn't notice. So I stopped and moved the can back where it was, and then Mag saw some garbage sticking out, and he carefully removed a paper towel with his mouth and held it like a prize. This horse and garbage! Last time we stopped at a bus stop with a full can, he pulled a bunch of packaging tape/wire out and made as if to eat it.

Although I prefer this cool weather, it makes taking Mag out exciting and my ride was pretty tense today. Nothing bad happened but little spooks at the trees lashing each other.

Now we'll see if beta biothane stays white! If not, I'll consider a different color.

12 comments:

Tina said...

I've never liked white tack but that is very pretty!!

Bakersfield Dressage said...

That bridle is really, really pretty. The black and white contrast is particularly dramatic. It's funny though because I don't really care for dressage bridles with white details, but I like your white with black details. Go figure! :0)

I have a set of black beta reins that I no longer use (too slippery for dressage) that are also soft as butter. I wish they had stops or something so I could use them. Wiping them down with a damp cloth or dunking them in a bucket of water is much easier than cleaning my rubber/leather reins or Speedy's braided leather ones.

Mag looks very striking in the white tack by the way. I do not understand the judge's comment either. Personally, I think grey horses, and Arabs in particular, look good in every color. For me, that's one of their special powers. :0)

AareneX said...

It looks really nice!

Camryn said...

Wow, it's gorgeous and especially so on Mags! I'd never have thought white would look so stunning on a gray!!!
My boys harness feels like soft buttery leather as well. Love good biothane!

sidesaddle queen said...

It looks absolutely perfect on him!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I'm glad you were able to design exactly what you wanted, and that the material was better than expected. Mag sounds like Rock when it comes to helping himself to garbage.

Kitty Bo said...

Just lovely!

HHmplace said...

Same here - I would not have thought I'd like white on a gray - but it looks super nice! The fit is perfect too! I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to clean. No idea as to how the "white" will hold up - but I think it will. Beta is Such an improvement!

TeresaA said...

It looks great on him. I'm glad that you are so happy

Anonymous said...

I bet she'd be able to either adapt your browband, or build you a new one with the same padding as the noseband and crown, probably for not much!
Looks great on Mag!

Tina said...

Nuzzling Muzzles...I miss your blog!

Achieve1dream said...

Love the new bridle!!!! It looks so great on him! That's so funny about the garbage. Silly Mag!