Wednesday, April 18, 2018

More American culture

Although this is a not-so appetizing photo - my mom was so enthusiastic about my Ivar's clam chowder copy-cat recipe, she wanted a picture. I'm no food photographer, but I can make a really nice New England clam chowder, given the ingredients available in America. I feasted on it day after day, guiltily opening their door to waft the sea-smell out of their house. I brought 2 cans of clams back with me, and am excited about making it again in Germany. And since no Germans eat this, it's all for me.




On the Des Moines dock, I was reading about which crabs are legal for harvest. Mmmm crab. This is the town I went to high school in, and I found myself newly devoid of any lingering bad feelings toward Des Moines. I feel perfectly neutral now. I enjoy the seaweed smell, and the many boats. In Germany, I don't know anyone who owns a boat. If I see a boat, I wonder where they float it.






No matter where you are in the Pacific Northwest, you always have mountains or water around you. Often both. Snow-covered peaks that never melt,  salty or fresh water. The landscape has drawn so many people, it's almost impossible to live there anymore. More on that later.




This was my first WTH moment in Seattle. I cannot fathom why someone would want to advertise he will respond with deadly force if something occurs in traffic. Why else do you put such a thing on your car? 

I respect the right to own a gun, but why advertise that you are carrying one? Is that supposed to placate anyone else who has a gun in traffic and keep him from using it? 

I just realized I've been to places (Montana) where people drive around with loaded gun racks in their trucks, but that was different - that was just where you put your gun in your truck.

Needless to say, my man muttered, "Could never live here."



EASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My mom hosts Easter each year and the entire family came and I was allowed to invite friends for the first time and I invited all my friends ....and only one showed up. OK I get it, it's Easter, and you all have plans. But it was great when my old dancing buddy showed up.

J invited one friend.....and he came! His only friend in Seattle; I was thrilled. That guy colored most of of our eggs, my mom was so annoyed. I hid all the plastic candy-filled eggs in the yard, but as a geocacher, the poor kids could only find 7 from 23, so I had to go out with them and do the "warmer, colder" game so they could get their candy. It was one of the most fun memories of this trip. If you need something hidden ----- look me up: )

In the photo above we are playing the German game Concept, which I bought at Powell's books in Portland a few days before. Indeed, it drew everyone in, because it requires no commitment, and eventually almost everyone stepped in to play a little. I encourage anyone who wants to throw a party for introverts to buy it, because it tempts even the shyest folk to step up and guess the answer.




Those who read my blog may remember a recent post where I bitched about people wearing helmets that do not fit properly. To that end, my sister dug up an old, but mostly unused Troxel and gifted it to me, to give to Ani if it fits her. My mom and brother both took turns trying it on. Old and huge, but safe, and it does seem to fit Anja.



Geocaching with friends around Bellevue, these signs surprised me, especially the "no copper" one, because in Germany, thieves regularly steal the copper wires on the train lines, which means no trains can run. I also liked the sign on the lower right, which I didn't get. Eschew obfuscation, I say.



Geocacher showing me her Apple watch, which is a phone watch. I've never seen one in Germany, but I know they exist.



Then we finally made it to my favorite Mexican place, Azteca. I got Mole, my favorite, and indulged in real refried pinto beans and the best salsa in town. I tried to follow my diet and dissect the enchilada and only eat the filling but it turns out the corn tortilla is an important taste aspect, and it just wasn't as good that way. *sigh*



More skunk cabbage.



I used to dislike the smell of them, but now I find them great.



This is the day we introduced our favorite boardgame, Dominion, to the family. The kids took a little time to grasp it but eventually they enjoyed it. As you can see, my niece also drinks my favorite American beverage.  My husband is wearing the shirt my brother gave him because J loves DQ above all.  He wore that shirt almost every day.

When we finally went to DQ to get his favorite, a cheesecake blizzard, we made a spectacle. Cuz we had a coupon, 1$ off a blizzard. But the discount was before tax, and we argued and argued about the price, and the poor guy was beside himself. We finally got a 12 oz blizzard for more than 5 bucks, and he followed protocol and handed it to us upside down (proving how thick it is). I said, "About those new blizzard cakes, can you serve them to us also upside down, and they won't fall from the plate?" We got a laugh out of him, finally.

Then, since J had his blizzard, and I wanted an espresso, we drove 50 feet to the next espresso drive-up (everywhere in Washington state, you don't have to get out of your car to get espresso). The girl asked us how we were and I said, "Well, a blizzard is over 5 bucks now, since our last visit to America." She said, "And it's probably really small!" In answer, J held it up, and it was tiny. *lol*

So when foreigners say Americans don't mean it when we say "How are you?" - I contest that. She empathized and got our loyalty.



This is a close up of my niece's Tom Kah Gai (Thai chicken coconut soup). It tasted heavenly, it's been so long since I've  had good Thai food. You might wonder why we are eating out of paper dishes and plasticware.

My sister's plumbing broke, that's why, but I was appalled, repeatedly, everywhere we went, to see Americans using disposable dishes, even if they own a dishwasher. Plastic ware, and a variety of disposable cups, bowls, and plates.

This shocks Eurpeans when they visit America, and I'm now in that group of, WTH. Why?

You choose to create waste because you're too lazy to put a plate in the dishwasher?

When wine is served from plastic, we know we've come to the end of the circle.

A German friend asked me, "Did you not grow up this way?" I said, "I don't know, I didn't notice. I don't think so."

The photo below is the culture shock photo of the day.

It's at the normal grocery store (not anything fancy like Walmart) - this is the disposable dish section.



This aisle in the grocery store brings me shame. Also because I encountered three people who said they do not believe that the recycling system is honest in America. That they are expected to recycle, but they don't trust that their separated products remain separated.

The system only works if people are convinced that their separation efforts mean something in the end.

Do they?

8 comments:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

That's a lot of paper products. My husband was saying something about some local governments being unable to sell recycled products, so all of their community's recycling is just going into the local dump with the trash. I'm getting to be super sensitive about waste. I get upset when I buy some small product that comes wrapped in a ridiculous amount of packaging. I love shopping online since the stores are so crowded, but really dislike having to constantly break down boxes and take them to recycling bins. I'm really efficient when it comes to washing dishes, so I prefer to do that. My husband's grandmother came to visit once and told me I should make things easy on myself by serving everything on paper plates, but I told her that I'd rather wash dishes than deal with trash. I don't like any food at all going into the kitchen trash, because it starts stinking up our house in no time. I waste a lot of tall plastic kitchen bags by taking them to the outdoor bin before they've been filled. But then if people don't clean their plates, the garbage disposal and water pipes can only handle so much being stuffed down them...

AareneX said...

LOL at the car sticker. Since there's a gun sticker juxtaposed with a Star Wars Stormtrooper sticker, I can only assume that the person is armed with a laser gun but can't aim for diddly.

Paper stuff: only when camping, and often not then. Just because stuff is available for sale doesn't mean we have to buy it.

Chowder: gonna need the recipe. Although I'm a bigger fan of smoked salmon chowder because canned clams are against my religion--for me, it's fresh clams or nothin', and there's nothing better than good smoked salmon chowder!

NuzMuz: we don't put food in the trash because we feed it all to the chickens or the worms, which I think is the best possible solution for food "waste"!

ellie k said...

Nuzzling Muzzle, sure miss your blog. Parts of Florida are doing away with plastic straws now, the number used each day is a staggering amount. We are a wasteful country over all, not only paper goods but food also. I am glad to see Horse crazy American back on line. Thanks

HHmplace said...

Fun post :-) Nice to see that you had a good visit! So true, when natives are driven away - it's a sad, sad thing...

Camryn said...

Funny you bring up paper plates! I've had the boys quite a lot, at dinner last night I realized I didn't have any plates clean for them to use. Had some unopened paper plates left from my daughters baby shower. Keep in mind her baby is 2 1/2 yrs old now. So, guess we don't use them to often!

Kitty Bo said...

Bragging about your fire arm is usually a sign that there is less to brag about in their manhood. My boys were raised with guns, understanding how to use them in a respectful way but not to flaunt anything in a stupid macho way.

I have that watch! Apple watch 3 with cellular, in that sand pink! She's checking her activity rings. I love my watch. It has really helped me.

I'm glad you ate that tortilla. It wouldn't have been the perfect Mexican food experience without it.

sidesaddle queen said...

So glad to see the blog back. And finding a helmet for Ani, that’s great! Extremely dry down here in West Texas, it is so nice to see photos and hear about rain! It is fun to visit Seattle in the summer when it is 110 degrees here, it’s liike going from summer straight to winter.

We compost kitchen veggie leftovers, coffee grounds,and eggshells. Lots of mulch required around here due to the dry climate, and your lawn does better if you use a mulching lawn mower and don’t haul off the grass clippings.

Has anyone had success with horsefly traps? We had an epidemic of them last year and nothing seemed to help. Have seen these traps online but they cost 200-300.00.

hainshome said...

I don't think that sticker meant he wanted to use his gun while driving, any more than the Storm trooper had anything to do with driving. He's probably just a silly or young person who wants to brag that they have a permit to carry. Ridiculous and disrespectful, but I don't see how it has anything to do with driving.