Wednesday, February 14, 2018

House Coat

We've been under snow and ice for a while now, and it is going to continue. Seli asked me to ride with her today after she trimmed hooves for me, and I declined, telling her the trails are treacherous. She texted me this morning, "You are right - I tried to take Lupo (her bad dog) for a walk, and it was unsafe for riding." She told me to get in touch with her as soon as we see a thaw. I said, "Gotcha, so, April."

She laughed - she'd just trimmed all 8 of the hooves that live here, and no one kicked her, and no one tried to lay down on her. Progress! (I am always amazed when Mag does not kick farriers/people touching his hind legs. Is that behavior extinguished?!?!)

Darling Lupo ran into the street repeatedly, making several cars slam on their brakes, as she worked. She couldn't see what he was doing as she was under my animals. WTH with her dog. He's adorable, he was licking the enormous ice blocks that I'd dumped out of troughs recently, that refuse to melt, day after day, despite sunshine. I told her I'd gladly put the ice in her car for her dog to enjoy on their way home.

***

Tonight we had a real blessing  - a large hay delivery of that green gold that we'd recently found. The farmer, I couldn't thank him enough for the quality of his hay - my animals are truly spoiled now. His hay is the only hay in Germany that I've had that smells so good, I don't wash my hands after touching it, because my hands smell wonderful. I didn't even ask what it cost today, I am glad to have it - enough to get us to April.

Mag is a real charmer lately, I'm finding items misplaced in the morning, that he apparently carries around in the night. He is starting to nibble on my clothing, J's, and Seli's. So gently you cannot tell him to stop it.

He's perfectly clean, cuz the mud is frozen solid. Every day I take off his blanket (if it's not windy out) and challenge him, "Go to pasture Mag, and just try to get dirty." He always returns snow white and ready for a show. *LOL*

It's so cold out I hate to remove his blanket, but he's getting a few rubs on his shoulders and withers, and I really like him to feel air/sun on his back. He tries rolling in the snow but it's so lumpy underneath, it's no fun.

Sometimes I put his blanket on a radiator in our house, so when I put it on him, it's Jacob Black warm.

And lately I've noticed when I put it on, he blisses out. You know how I'm always saying my horse is the coldest horse I've ever met, and I'm always rolling my eyes at the cowboys who would never blanket a horse?

Last time I put his radiator-warm blanket on in the zero-C evening, he started yawning like horses do when they are getting a massage. Ok then.

Tonight I put his blanket on, and he stood there immobile for a while, eyes half closed, a grin on his face - he was saying "Ahhhhhhh..finally warm again."

OK Mag, you prefer Summer. Donkey prefers Winter. But you'll get your blankets and warm water every day until Spring.






7 comments:

TeresaA said...

That is so sweet how Mag reacts to the warm blanket. I have the same reaction putting on my housecoat out of the dryer!

Carmen hates to be cold. She gets really cranky but when I put her blanket on to warm her up she immediately perks up to be her swee self.

lytha said...

Teresa, is "housecoat" the same as "bathrobe? Germans call slippers "house shoes" and they call gloves "hand shoes" - I'm not making this up. Love that Carmen also appreciates artificial warmth. She is afterall a hotblood, who prefers sand under her feet.

AareneX said...

Lol, warming the blanket. Sometimes I take our bedspread and throw it in the dryer for 10 minutes before bedtime. LOVE THAT.

Sorry you're so cold there. We got sn*w last night and this morning, but it was very slushy and it's melted now. Still cold outside though, especially when the sun shines--there's no warm cloud layer to keep us warm.

TeresaA said...

Yes housecoat=bathrobe. :)

Sara said...

That is adorable how he reacts. I'd react the same way if I was him. Spoiled ponies forever :)

irish horse said...

But at least he is clean!? I would love a warm blanket (sometimes when I get the laundry from the dryer I sit down on the couch and put the warm laundry on top of me. But then it cools and I have to fold it, damn.)

Shirley said...

Mags sounds like quite the character! I'd better not tell Beamer that Mags gets pre-heated blankets or I'll end up having to install a dryer in the barn!