Tuesday, May 30, 2017

"It's not a tumor"


I called the vet office again and was worried because the receptionist would not give our lab results over the phone to me. Why? You all know, it's been 3 weeks.

Then the vet called and said it's a skin infection, dermatitis.

He said Mag's lumps are infected, but not serious, and I can treat them with baby oil, or lavender oil.

I had my man on speaker phone with us so I would be sure to understand everything. I said, "Still, I need you to come back here and do something." He'd mentioned a shot he can give Mag that might help healing.


The vet said oil would loosen the skin's ducts up. He said there is a blocked hair duct issue, similar to acne.

I would prefer to use warm compresses, maybe epson salts compresses.

The vet says I should go ahead and ride "with a very very soft pad. Your horse exhibited pain, so I'd be careful."
At this point I'm tossing my hands about, mouthing to my husband, "WTH?"

J said, "She always rides with a soft pad."

The vet said, "If the horse does not flinch, try saddling him again, and getting up there." (That doesn't sound good to me!)

The vet told me to call the secretary to make an appointment because I insisted he come out here again, also cuz I would like to start communicating about Mag's skin/scar issue.

I'm off to the pharmacy to get epson salts....and lavender oil.

***

J played the piano along with the musical Buffy episode the other day, but he won't let me post my recording. Oh well, here's something that makes me laugh:


Just got back from the pharmacy and the guy was really hesitant to give me epson salts, and had to order it, and it's really expensive, 8Euros for 500 grams (2 cups). The lavender oil cost about the same for 10ml. After doing some reading, it seems that people do use lavender to treat skin issues. So I'll give it a try. 

10 comments:

Cricket said...

What's with the Epsom salts? You can buy a five pound bag for like $4 at Costco here.

lytha said...

KB, I remember the huge buckets of epson salts I could buy at Safeway for very little money - well, I can console myself that groceries cost less here!

Zoe said...

Epsom salts pretty pricey here in the uk too. So pleased it's something simple-ish. Don't like the sound of the vet though.

TeresaA said...

I LOVE Buffy! That musical episode was awesome.

Also, that was Irish's diagnosis at the time too.

lytha said...

The pharmacy delivery just arrived and the tiny bottle of lavender oil says it should be diluted. What? Why didn't the vet mention this? Nor the know-sy phramcist?

Essential oils should not be used directly on skin, says the Internet. So I got some coconut oil and some baby oil and some water and mixed a TBSP of that with 20 drops of lavender. I hope I am not hurting my horse. He let me drop it onto his lumps, and I ended up with a lot of it on myself, so we'll see what happens. I actually got some straight lavender oil on my hands, curious if I'll react.

I'm keeping them in the backyard for the next few hours to observe.

The vet probably would have been more thorough in his instructions if he'd realized I have no idea how to use essential oils. Must be a German thing.

Crystal said...

Weird epsom salts are so much when so cheap here.
Your title just reminded me of Arnie lol I even read it in his accent

AareneX said...

Yes, dilute the lavender oil. I often put a few drops of lavender or tea tree oil in the post-workout bath water for Fiddle--not because it is magically antibacterial or anything, but because it smells good and works as a signal to the horse: "after a bath in this stuff, you are finished with work for the day."

Seems like a warm compress will work as well as anything for a non-specific dermatitis. Antibiotics, maybe? a dilute betadine scrub to clean the skin? Of course, that will stain your grey horse orange!

lytha said...

Crystal, I'm glad you heard the accent too.

Aarene, I am out of betadine scrub and have never seen it for sale here, though you can buy iodine. Mag's back looks just awful right now with all that oil collecting dirt. I have a feeling this is going to accomplish nothing and I'm going to have to go for real medicine (antibiotics) rather than hippy stuff.

AareneX said...

If you lack betadine scrub, look for chlorhex? It's blue-green instead of orange, might be available there. Check the "people" part of the pharmacy.

lytha said...

Aarene, there is a people section to a pharmacy? Holy crap where have I been shopping! *lol* Please come visit us so I can show you the pharmacy. If they happen to be open on the time of day you are here.