Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Mag bogarts Wuppertal's water supply

The other day Christina helped me close Mag into the trailer for the first time, as well as putting up the breast bar. He did not like it at all but did not struggle or panic.

Today I practiced loading again with the breast bar up and Mag reverted back to an earlier stage where he would not stand in the trailer, constantly leaving and even rearing up to quickly leave the ramp.

I loaded him over and over and he just kept leaving and leaving. "I've got all day Mag" and a bag of chopped carrots if I could get him to stand with me in there long enough to eat one. He wasn't panicking, but he was rushing o standing outside. Everything changed. But we'll keep working on it. I keep telling myself, it's not so bad that he kept leaving, because every time he left, he was showing himself it's not so bad. And, he's pretty good at loading still, that's one thing.

Christina had offered to trailer him home in this very trailer at the end of the month, but today when I sent her my address she said, "THAT'S 30 KM! I'll have to think about it" 30 KM is 19 miles. That is nothing if you're from America. But in Germany, well, that's a long way apparently......where did she THINK I live, I wonder.

***

Afterwards I let Mag roll in the arena and free lunged him, and worked on a game with him, where if he drops his head, I'll drop my eyes and shoulders and exhale. If he raises his head, trotting around like a giraffe, I will peer at his neck most intently. It was so cool to see him figure this out and drop his head to get me to relax and release my pressure. It worked at a jog and trot but not the walk. I think he enjoyed it, "I'm able to control her!"  and he went around with his nose to the ground by the end of the 20 minutes. Cool huh?

***

Maren arrived and we headed out to the Talsperre. I was leading Mag on foot the first part of the ride and we had some fun at a creek where Mag drank and drank and drank like he hadn't seen water in days. I love that he loves water so much. The other day he drank out of a very very small puddle. He's funny, every single time I take him to his paddock, he goes to the bathtub and drinks. And Willy said, "Do you know, every time I take your horse out in the morning, he drinks?"

I know he also drinks in his stall but perhaps he likes other water better (he has two water sources in his stall - the auto waterer and the bucket).

That crazy guy who lets his Arabians run loose, without halters in public suddenly appeared and looked down at us at the creek. Then he urged his horse into a canter. Maren said, "That guy, can you believe it, it's so rude, he knew we were here and he just took off anyway." I said, "Are you sure he saw us?" Yes she was.

I think seeing that guy leave made me realize nothing else could go wrong so I got on Mag.

Maren's a great conversationalist and I was able to have fun and relax, talking and listening to her. Then we arrived at the dam and I didn't want to go down into the hole, but she did. She said I could do it. I don't know why she'd think that. That place is very scary for Mag, he's always staring straight up at the people passing over our heads. Oh well, I'll try.

The saddle crept forward onto Mag's shoulders and he hesitated. He also hesitated at the large gravel we were on. But Maren kept Chinook close and listened to me if I said, "Slower..." and then "Too slow!" when she'd just stop *lol*

I was so, so glad I had Mag there last Sunday, so it wasn't so new. I pointed to the tree I'd tied him to and said I sat there on the grass teaching him to be tied.

On the way back up Mag was having trouble balancing a little cuz it's so steep, but both young horses managed it. I noticed Chinook looking worried (he's younger than Mag) and asked how many times he's been to the dam. She said, "This is his third time." Whoa. This is Mag's too, first time ridden.

At the top I pointed to where those little girls pet him, and where I lost Mag for a moment, and where I did lots of ground work afterwards.

Maren pointed to a little short-cut up a steep incline, about 1.5 meters long, but very steep. She said, "Wanna try to ride up that with Mag?" I said, "If you go first." She pointed Chinook to it and he scrambled up. I pointed Mag and ...oh boy.

I couldn't stop laughing.

Mag looked at the little incline and marched up it and then halfway up, gravity caught him unaware.

What?

We hung there as if in mid-air, with some sort of gravity well pulling on him. I swear Mag was thinking, "Why am I not already up this hill?"

I was laughing so hard because I don't remember ever riding a horse who didn't seem to understand when you have a rider, you have to put a little more effort to get up an incline.

He caught himself and threw himself forward, making it up...the 1.5 meters.

I wish I could explain the feeling better. We almost went backwards for a moment. I'll try: If you imagine you are walking up a hill, and then you pick up 2 heavy buckets, one in each hand, and try to proceed. You might not realize how heavy they are and you might find yourself either going nowhere for a moment, or actually tipping backwards. Was that too pedantic? Sorry.

We had a lovely time, it felt great to be out at the Talsperre with so many, many trail users (and bikes!) and have two calm baby horses. She said her husband's Paint, Blue, isn't as calm as Mag and whirls around on trail. Yikes. I didn't do any leading today, because I don't trust Chinook. I did walk beside her a while and Mag gave the youngster a few dirty looks, I'm ashamed to admit.

I got a few pics but wish so much someone would take a photo of me, meeeeee!


As I was uploading the photos to my image server, it showed me a random collection of older photos, including the last time I was at the Talsperre on the back of a horse, on Mara. Coinicidence. So I posted a couple pics of my ride on Mara down the Talsperre because I hope it shows how steep it is.



At this moment I had no worries. I trusted the ladies and their horses. My own horse too, at this moment. Following other horses down into a valley was never a fear of Mara's.






This is the rock that Mag managed barefoot. Mara as you can see has 4 Easyboots on. My friend's mare, Eisen. Look how warm it was in Summer, I have a tshirt on, and my spandex breeches. I miss being able to wear breeches not made of polarfleece! (All the tack on Mara is what I use on Mag today.)

Ahem, today:






Waiting for us, they looked so cute, I took a photo.






Kids used to tease me for bogarting the water fountain at school. This is Mag, bogarting. (Do I have to add a link for that or do people know this term in 2017?)









Look at the trust! I envy it. There are so many trail users around us, dogs, bikes, nordik walkers, and she's so chill. Chinook took her directly into that beech tree and suddenly the tiny branches were all around her, in her face, and she said, "Oh please!"







I've never seen a horse drink so long who hadn't worked any length to require it. Mag, from now on, every creek is yours.









He just wouldn't stop. It's crystal clear. I kept saying to Maren, "I'm SO THIRSTY NOW!"








This was another pretty place, I'd never seen it before. Maren said it is newly built. What strange woods Germany has.

I miss evergreen. But appreciate this for now.

I miss a mountain I can point my horse up, and the mountain itself teaches the horse.

Wow it would suck to live in a flat place. Niedersachsen. Where Mag is from.

6 comments:

TeresaA said...

Such a good day. If I get to Germany I will take photos of you riding Mags!

Chinook is beautiful.

EvenSong said...

I was going to say: "sounds like a great outing!" But I've decided to say "sounds like a great RIDE!" Because...well...you rode for most of the outing!
Do you grab mane up the steep spots? Kate used to hate it when I did that, and would throw a tantrum, instead of focusing on the slope! She's gotten better about it now.
Mag's is learning to be a grown-up horse! Good job, to both of you!

Anonymous said...

I remember the first time I took my current horse on a slope like that, and he reacted like it was the end of the world, like he literally came to the end of the world and couldn't take another step. You have come so far with Mags this winter. I know if you keep it up he'll be the horse you always wanted.

AareneX said...

The game you play where he "controls" your posture: I play the same game with Foxie (dog)! If he is moving fast and barking I stop and back up. If he sits, I walk towards him(with a carrot, his favorite treat) or towards the door. Rushing​ and barking= no joy. Move quietly = get what you want. Magic!

I think I told you that Fiddle was convinced that DOWNHILLS were impossible when she was green. Take a step? No, can't, feet won't go that direction, sorry. Take two steps? NO, STUPID WOMAN, MY FEET DON'T DO THAT. Ahhh, those days, I don't miss them.

Kitty Bo said...

I think this is my favorite post yet. I know what you mean about hills and mountains. When I see one, I want to go up. This week, I took my truck to town to get the oil changed, and I took my Texas heeler, Arrow, with me to go walk while the oil was changed. There was a steep hill that I had to head to and go up because IT WAS THERE. My Arabian, Maguire, was so brilliant. No incline phased him, going up or down. Every day, I miss that horse.

Camryn said...

I recall how Camryn would turbo trot up inclines, then very carefully make her way down. Love your pix, both gelding are so handsome.