Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Jana rides Mag


Today Jana beamed a huge smile at me, "Whatcha doin?"

I said I needed to practice for my next riding lesson and then I said, "Let's go out!" She said, "I just got back."Oh well.

10 minutes later I said, "Wanna ride my horse? Do you have some time? I'll take care of your horse, if you want to go out on trails, I'll lead her." Maja, her lease Fjord, has been sick or lame for the last 3 months. I thought she might miss riding.

Jana said, "In the arena, yes!"

As I got Mag ready, he ate his beet pulp as usual. Jana said, "Are you gonna let him eat all that before you ride? Won't his tummy be full?" I thought to myself, why would that be a bad thing?

She said, "I always give Maja her bucket when we're done, so she gets a reward."

I said, "I think when the rider gets off, that's the reward." Yah, I'm weird.

I couldn't help myself, as she cleaned Maja's stall I took a shedding blade to the Fjord, hair coming out in large clumps, has she not been groomed in days? It was so satisfying. The horse stood in a puddle of her own hair.

Jana said, "Oh, are you done?" I said, "No, but my horse is no fun to groom. Yours is, cuz look at this hair!"

She took the shedding blade and walked over to Mag and then realized that it's not very rewarding, nothing much comes off. (Just enough to stick to all my clothes and the interior of my car, but not enough to get a puddle.)

Then we were done and took both horses to the arena. Maja got to just hang out loose, and I helped her mount Mag.

Then I realized I wanted to take pics so I went to get my camera and as I turned around, I saw the most alarmed look on Mag's face."Strange person on my back and you LEAVE ME!" I had to laugh. Wish I could have got a pic of that. Poor Mag.

I told her she's one of two people I've seen ride my horse since I bought him. She was amazed. I was at ease about this, because Mag has proven to be reliable lately. I just wished she'd wear a helmet.

And she did. As she put it on, I said "No way! You own a helmet!" She laughed, "What?" Hrm! Never seen her with one on, even the times I saw her ride in December.

But she said she was a little nervous about riding Mag and put it on.

She said, "I'm not a great rider." I said, "That's not important, do whatever you want."

She walked and then trotted and then asked to canter. I said, "I've not done it on him."

She gripped the saddle with one hand and cued him and he almost folded in on himself wondering what she wanted. He just couldn't imagine cantering with a rider, and his legs got their order mixed up, and he humped his back and his tail formed that J again.

She tried again and it got rough but he threw in an honest attempt and she praised him loudly for that one stride.

She did it again and it was rough, but he got it.

Then the other direction.

Oops, I'd forgotten to tell her that this is his easier way. So as soon as she asked, he cantered, just fine. To the right, of course.

She was grinning so big, holding onto the saddle and saying PRIMA, SUPER! to Mag.

She said, "I'm here tomorrow, Thursday, Friday..." I think she wants to try again.

She said, "I feel good on his back, comfortable, and he is really sensitive to aids, you've taught him well!"

I'd ridden Maja, and I know Mag is nowhere as bendy and confident on his own hooves as she is. But he's soooo much better now.

I hope we can hook up again soon. It's fun to watch her have fun on him, and to see Mag learn that other people can ride him and nothing bad happens.
























































I think he got insecure because there's a slick spot there but I could be wrong. We should really do this in the outdoor which has grippy sand, perfect footing. Indoors is loose fluff on top of solid dirt that gets wet. This is her third canter request, her first to the right. Wish I had the first two on film, to the left, but those were just awkward fails.






7 comments:

Kitty Bo said...

Fantastic! I think her holding onto the saddle affected her balance and seat to where Mag was wondering, but he got beyond it and did as she asked. Now it's your turn!

Anonymous said...

That's really wonderful progress. One of my old friends who was a trainer always liked to have other people ride green horses, she said it taught them to be forgiving and less worried.

AareneX said...

She isn't a great rider, but Mag did it anyway, which is AWESOME. And the halt/walk transitions = necessary evil.

This is all such good stuff!

What will happen when you take him home (next week)? Are you ready if it seems like it's "two steps backwards"?

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

That's awesome that Mag listened when you said, "Easy..." I like listening to people speak German in your videos. I try to guess what they are saying. Was she asking if you put a little pressure on or a lot at one point? My daughter learned German in high school. My husband found a grocery bag with German writing on it and she was able to translate it for us. I don't post videos often because whether I try to upload through Blogger or You Tube, the uploads fail 80% of the time even though I have my camera set to create the smallest size and lowest quality videos.

Crystal said...

Oh how excellent! I like watching others on my horses lets me see them so differently

Terry said...

I think Jana is a very nice rider. She's soft and relaxed, and most important, she's enjoying her ride. Yes, her position could be better, but who doesn't need to work on that?!? Nice job, Jana. Good boy, Mags. And kudos to owner for hanging in there and getting Mags to this point. The future is looking good!

EvenSong said...

Love this!! It is neat to see Mag handle something so new! I did like that she tried very hard to stay off his mouth. I think that's why she grabbed the front of the saddle, to steady her position. Good for her! I really like the photo where they are both facing you, her smile and Mag's "did I do good, Mom?" Another great example of how far you've brought him.