Saturday, March 18, 2017

First lesson with Kati

I had my first lesson today at this barn. I was dubious cuz this most-beloved trainer seems to spend most of her time teaching people ground work. Which is ironic cuz her slogan has "riding" in it and her website has 99% photos of people on the ground.





Sure enough, when I told her my goal, my plan is to spend my lesson time with her riding, she tried to sell me on the wonders of ground work.

I had been warming up Mag on the lunge before they arrived, and when they did, her daughter was with her.  I said to the daughter, "Would you mind taking a seat?" as I lunged my horse at a jog to warm him a little.

She was confused. I said, "Can you please sit down on that bench there, for a moment, I would like to see if my horse reacts fearfully to that, as he sometimes does." She complied, probably thinking I was nuts. Mag was fine, until I switched his direction and he went, "WHAT? PERSON ON A BENCH!" *sigh* Very funny. Also funny, the fact that I was far enough from her to not recognize she was a child, and I addressed her in the formal German. So, I spoke to her as an equal, even though she's a kid. Oops. Later I switched, totally uncouth. I'm an ignorant American.

I asked this socially indistinct (to me) girl to take my camera and take some photos and videos. I said I am too shy to ask anyone in the barn to do this, because they are there to enjoy their own horse, and not sit on a bench and click photos. The sweet girl said yes. Awesome!
 
This bit of lunging at three gaits gave me 5 minutes to show Kati what Mag can do on a lungeline at least, and I was proud to say he listened to every single vocal/body language cue from me for those 5 minutes perfectly. Then I tangled my line and dropped my whip and Mag turned to me, halting politely, as I pretended that was intentional. *ahem*

I told her I've done a lot of ground work with my horse, and we're at the point where we need to start riding seriously, and not just ground work.

I need to just ride this horse, I said.

She asked me to lead him around the arena. I thought, "Oh gosh, she's gonna INSIST that I pay her money for a ground work lesson, *sigh*

She watched Mag walk the arena with me, behind me.  Then Mag got a little forward and I slammed on my brakes and he did too, then we proceeded, with my horse behind me as I prefer. She said I was too abrupt in my correction, that I could have just held up a finger to correct him. Hm, I always correct his getting too forward by stopping suddenly, and then backing up myself, which he mimics.

She said she prefers to have a horse directly at her shoulder. I said, "Yes, the FN method" (the German Equestrian Foundation). I admit, I said it a little condescendingly.

She said, "A horse can rush forward and run you over." I said, "I know, but  has not happened yet." I explained to her that he can spook left and right and not endanger me, and I just feel better in front, as a leader.

She said, "I  do not teach alpha training. What horse wants to have an alpha mare training it? They'd prefer to be away from alphas!!"

I said, "OK." But I didn't say what I was thinking....

I want to be a secure being for my horse, a leader with impeccable emotional control.  Don't horses feel secure with a leader in their group? A kind, trustworthy leader who never flips out and starts abusing them for hormonal reasons?

I was insecure, a little, as our lesson began, after my last 4 trainers ditched me for various reasons.

 I must not be an easy student.


***

Anyway, here's the lesson.

She asked me what I wanted to work on.

My objective: "Get a forward, marching walk without me pushing constantly."

She said we could do it, and not need a *shudder* crop. Apparently she's against whips.

She laid out several cones, 5 meters apart each, in a circle.

I love that she uses toys cuz it takes the rider and horse off distractions, both imagined and real.

***

We were in the indoor in a pouring rain day (love indoors!) and very few of the photos turned out. I told the daughter photographing us, "It's not likely they will turn out, in this dark arena, no worries."

But she did her best.

First exercise - walk from cone to cone and stop at each one. Do not reward the horse when he stops at a cone. Reward the horse as he moves into the walk. What? OK, that's new. Really, really new, for both of us. As I said, "Good boy," he'd slow and look at me like, "Good enough for a treat?" No, we're walking! This is gonna be a new paradigm for me. I'm used to letting a horse stop for a reward, but she said a lazy horse will need to find reward in movement. I literally said to her, "I doubt it." (I'm such a bad student!)

Second, walk to one cone, trot to the next, walk to the next, trot to the next. No problem.

Third, walk to each cone and circle it tightly. How hard can that be? Well, for Mag, it was not simple. He would swing his hips in the wrong direction, and halt altogether. I was amazed how hard it was for Mag to just circle cones. She said "He is doing it properly, lifting his back, and crossing his hind legs, that is why it's difficult." This is a very difficult exercise. OK then. (As an endurance rider I may have rolled my eyes.)

Fourth, stop at each cone and then trot to the next, no walking. Oh boy. This is the key. For any horse, really. Stop trot stop trot transitions. They're just no fun, for anyone, and I'm thankful to her for putting this on our plate. This is where she'd get a great review for her lesson, it was the one thing I didn't really want to do, but we needed most. BTW, those cones were like 10 meters apart.

I used a lot of clucking, and Mag complied, he seemed to get it, but it's not easy for a baby. I knew my Geometry was just awful.

I apologized for using so much much vocal cueing but she didn't mind, she never corrected me. I think she was just happy I was not using a crop. (Is she such a hippy?)

Then as if for a reward for both of us, she "let" us just trot around the cones, over and over and over. I told her that is the most we've ever trotted. She was not disappointed, she said, "He's just finding his balance."

I was surprised to see, from the photos, that Mag does duck behind the vertical from time to time. WHAT! Oh man you cheater.

The trainer never mentioned it. In fact, she had only good things to say.

Is she just a hippy? Am I in trouble? *lol*

As I patted Mag on the neck, she corrected me "Stroke, do not pat." I know this, but I do pat from time to time. Good that she knows that though. Most Germans slap their horses on the neck so hard the birds fly from the trees.





This photo cracks me up cuz I look like I'm looking at the saddle for plastic explosives. Whereas Mag is saying, "Probably no explosives, nope."







Mag was right.





Jana and Chinook stood watching in the background about half the time. I was embarrassed cuz of our failure to be perfect at every task.







She said, "Your horse listens to you constantly!" I said, "Except for when he's looking at Chinook, or the door. That stupid door!"

Then she made me feel better - "That door is a problem with every single horse here who I teach. They cannot help but keep checking it, obsessed with it!" I said, "Really! It's not just mine?" No! I said, "I honestly think riding in the outdoor is easier. She agreed with me.





She tried to teach me how to teach him to enjoy going forward, to combat his laziness. She said to praise him as soon as he begins to walk or trot. Not when he stops. How confusing, after a lifetime of praising a horse as soon as it stops moving. He kept slamming to a stop, "I'm a good boy? I get to stop?" No, you get praised as you continue forward.













Way too relaxed for daytime television.



Apparently I make a lot of strange expressions as I ride. I may be contemplating that next cone. I love Mag's focus, on my contemplation. And what happened to my reins - did I forget them?




Here we're just standing and talking/listening.


Mag chews a snack and sees someone at the door. DOOR!












Talking with my hands. Do I do that?


Ah, I'm not the only one.















Actually trotting in a photo!?





What the heck, I dropped the reins entirely? Do I have a death wish?



I love how he's bored, but attentive. "This is my life now."





I included this blurry one cuz I love seeing his ears on me like that. YES.





Hopefully this trainer is a good one. I have no idea.








I have never ridden a lazier walk in my life so I worry. I love a good walk. I could care less about a trot. So.......

What to do. I see myself pushing him constantly. You see it too.

Not that arena work is my goal, but I would hope that in our time here, we could get a good walk.

Or maybe I'm spoiled on forward walking horses.

Am I alone thinking he wants to do Western Pleasure? Can any horse move slower? I know, that's insulting, it takes years of training to get proper Western Pleasure carriage/movement. But somehow my jockey-club registered Arabian kicks dirt forward from his hooves. I know the answer cannot be found until he's actually trained and ridden extensively.  Just, wow, he's slow.

12 comments:

TeresaA said...

I really like Mags trot and how well he's listening to you. overall it sounds very positive.

I also like how you told the trainer what you wanted/needed.

I'm with you on the leading too- if a horse runs you over then they have no respect. You don't need them at your side. However, I was trained originally that it was at the shoulder. I would simply smile at her and say that you can agree to disagree.

AareneX said...

All good stuff. I've discovered that with some horses (FIDDLE!) the whip does not encourage her to go forward. It works fine as a tool on the (few) days she decides to revisit balking as an evasion, but otherwise it just makes her want to turn and argue about the whip. I've stopped carrying it (and you KNOW how dependent on a whip I've been in the past!)

The photos are pretty good for an indoor! Videos too! Yep, you're cuing/pushing him all the time, and he's ignoring your leg. Does the granola lady object to spurs?

I use the leetle stubby Prince of Wales spurs. My leg is short, and without the spurs my cues are kinda vague. With the spur nub, I can give a PRECISE cue: "Move this part of your body please."

Also with the spur nub I can cue: "****I SAID MOVE!**** when she ignores a normal cue to wake up and move forward. Even though I don't employ the spurs at all on most rides, I almost always wear them (they are permanently strapped to my riding boots) but when I wear different boots, she sometimes lags behind just to show me that she can.

I lol'd about dropping your reins. You saw what happened when I did that yesterday?

I like the idea of energizing his walk with lots of transitions and praise for movement. Good stuff there. Will Kati come and teach you at your place, even without an arena?

lytha said...

Teresa, cool that you saw my blog so soon, I just switched some photos and hope you got to see the first one, the best: ) I think she needs to learn that horses can follow on lead ropes and still be safe. I had no idea you do the same. You call what Mag did a trot? That is very gracious of you. But for now, I'd love to see an honest walk. Like you said, the trainer said his walk is fine and I shouldn't worry. OK then.

So, how does one say "Agree to disagree" in German!?! hrrrmmm...

lytha said...

Aarene, Oh, I'd be amazed if that lady would let a student wear spurs, she's one of those natural types. Sorry for not responding sooner, to your comment.

I know that spurs are sometimes helpful for dressage (I used them on Baasha) but since I'm trying to build a trail horse and not a training level dressage horse, I am trying not to worry about this. Baasha was just as lazy in the ring, but you saw how he was outside. A little spur went a long way indoors, but outdoors, hang on.

Interesting that you see the same thing that I feel on Mag, that I'm constantly pushing the horse forward, and the lady does not seem to see that, or acknowledge it as less than ideal, HM.

I asked her to get on the horse so I could see for myself, his "Very fine, satisfactory walk" and she said she does not get on strange horses right away.

I understand and will give her some time to observer him, and then I want to see how she gets a "perfectly fine" walk from him.

She WILL come to my neighborhood, but it will cost an extra fee per KM. We'll see if that's reasonable, and we'll see if she's not too hippy for me. *lol*

I scheduled another lesson for next week, although we cannot afford it. J said, "That's your birthday money in May!" OK then. I'm actually excited to get my dressage back on and get my Geometry better (transitions at letters/cones). Yay! Mag is gonna get this in the next 2 weeks! And....yay, Claudia offered to take me out next week again for a short trail ride. Yay, yay!

EvenSong said...

I kinda LIKE Mag's walk and trot! Not exactly a forward endurance stride, but not really WP either. And although at times a bit tentative, he seems to be developing a nice self-carriage--you're very light with your hands, but he maintains his lovely neck and head position most of the time. If I give too much rein to Kate, she drops to peanut-roller posture!
Lookin' good. Seems like the instructor is at least open to what you want and how you approach things. I hope she works out for you!

Anonymous said...

I love his body language. He looks like a different horse than he did last year.

CSL said...

As they say, you can learn something from everyone, even if sometimes it is what not to do. Hippy trainer may have some different opinions, but at least she didn't immediately go off about how you were going to ruin his back not riding in side reins, right? It's worth trying, even if at the end, you come out with a new idea of what does and does not work for you and Mag. I used to have the same issue with my gelding where he would downshift straight to a halt the moment you said "Good Boy", and it makes me feel better that I'm not the only one!

When I bought mine, he had not been allowed to do more than walk on the trail, so he could walk *really* fast. Like your kidneys were getting a massage fast. Then trotting happened and he decided walking was for recovery time and broke out the QH "slug" walk that makes me want to bang my head against a tree. I ignored it for a long time (think months to years) and just trotted or cantered instead of walking. We finally worked on it and fixed it. You will get it!

Sirje said...

I think this is a really good thing! He looks really happy and is developing so very nicely. You don't have to love *everything* Kati is telling you, just try it out (but rewarding movement is an excellent suggestion for a slowpoke!). She seems really into collaborating with you on what you want to accomplish, which is pretty great. It's really, really, really excellent that you can assert your opinions and needs *and* be respected by a teacher who has already brought some solid ideas to the table for specifically you and the horse you are riding.

I second the spurs suggestion. Short stubby ones, just long enough to extend your leg that little tiny bit. But... I think he's also just absorbing a lot of new stuff and hasn't quite fully realised yet that there are also legs involved in this whole weird process. He'll get it. :)

Way to go!

kbryan said...

It was a treat to see all the photos (love that white tack). Considering his leisurely walk and trot, at this stage, it is better than the total alternative I think. You two are really looking good together these days.

Kitty Bo said...

I was so thrilled to see this. Well, I have to agree with you about the trot. It's more of a tippy,tippy. When he begins to lower his head (I saw no BTV, btw.) I would capture that and with seat and legs, drive him forward. A good way to strengthen the back is to ride a good forward long trot in 2 point. This gets you off the back,and in asking them to bend at the poll, helps to lift the back.

For dressage, I used a roweled English spur for Khanalee, and yes, a whip. Was I nervous at first? Yes! But with the help of a trainer who understood Arabians, I learned to relax. I'm not a politically correct animal rights person. I don't have a problem with a whip being used judiciously. Less can become more with a whip used correctly. :)

Outside of the arena, no spurs though. Although with a spook, I could usually move my feet quickly away from the horse's side in the arena, there was no way I was going to risk that on the trail.

I had a qt. horse mare who didn't like crops or whips. She was sensitive, and you didn't need them anyway. You could feel her "Don't you touch me!" mareishness if you had a crop.

You needn't be so critical of yourself in the pictures. You look great! We are all so proud of you. And Mag's tail is so sparkly! He's a beauty! sigh......

Kitty Bo said...

Also, the white tack looks lovely!

lytha said...

Evensong, I wish my horse could do what yours does naturally - drop his head. Oh well, I am happy with his natural inclination to carry his head correctly.

Redhorse, do you think so!? Hm!

Cslindaberry - omg I did not even think of that! After so many bad experiences I should have. I actually did what you did with my lease mare Princess Buttercup - her walk was atrocious so I just trotted and cantered of got off and led her if we were walking. So the perfect horse was not quite so perfect.....: )

Sirje, I hope you're right, in everything you said.

Kbryan, YES! Better than the alternative!

KB, the problem is he doesn't have a good long trot, and if I were to stand up, two point, he'd just stop. I agree that a whip is not a bad thing, but I'm gonna give this lady a chance to try to help get energy from a lazy horse with no whip or spur. I've only got this arena for another 10 days, then we won't have that problem anymore, cuz like most horses he's forward outdoors. I sure hope it works out with her, I'm really running out of trainer options. I've had 4 - FOUR - that didn't work out for me in the last 3 years.