Saturday, November 21, 2015

Bellis, "Microsoft", genetic diseases, etc.

Who was it that suggested I potty train Bellis? Kay? I finally had had enough of her pooping and peeing in her stall when she can walk right outside and do it. I thought, well, since she's already inclined to always poop on poop (Mara's) or poop in poop places, and nowhere else, why not try it.

I am such a neat freak I dreaded this, but I purposefully left a pile of manure in a place just 3 meters from her stall where it would be easy to clean up. Easier than in the deep boot-sucking mud she's been fancying lately.

And it seems to be working. It's been about 9 days and she obviously goes to the pile and adds to it nightly. I'm now trying to wean her back from such a large unsightly pile and see how small it can be before she gives it up as the poop place. J asked, "And where is she peeing?" I said, "I have no idea but it's not in the stall!" Yeah!

***
Random awesome stolen photo:




Last week J said we got a call from an American telephone number. I blew it off. Today we got another call from this number. Nothing I recognize, thankfully, because I was in a panic - did someone I know die?

It's so weird to hear J answer the phone with "Hello." That is simply not done in Germany. He said hello a few more times and got a lot of static, but eventually someone with poor English said hello back.

"Hello, thees ees Microsoft. Please turn on your computer."

J said, "Hallo, Microsoft? Can you please tell me the number from which you're calling, so I can confirm that you're calling from Microsoft?"

At this point I ran into the room and hit speakerphone.

The man said, "Please turn on your computer."

J repeated, "Give me your telephone number please. Do you understand me?"

The man said, "We need you to turn on your computer."

I started cackling insanely. This was the first and only time I'd ever observed/received a scam telephone call and I was totally amused by it. What a novelty! Also, these people know they're calling Germany, and they expect people to ....speak ENGLISH!? *LOL* Which my husband can do nearly flawlessly.

The man said, "Ees that your wife? Ees that your wife laughing?"

"Yes."

Click. The dude hung up.

OK the scammer didn't like me laughing, and I am a little chagrined that the game was up so quickly.

J googled the telephone number of the caller and it was, of course, a scam, but they don't always use Microsoft as a cover. They use random things, *shrug*

***

I was looking at the facebook recently and saw some Arabian breeder in Mallorca celebrating her success. I just find it so odd, the way they schmink the horses here. It is not allowed to trim their whiskers, nor their ear hair (although that is often done despite the rule). So you can take a razor to an Arabian horse's face and get down to the skin around their eyes and nose but don't touch the whiskers! Personally I love the look of whiskers, and I don't mind clipping, I'm kind of ambivalent. But I find it funny when a  horse is shaven and greased up, but his whiskers are oh-so-long catching the sunlight. It's some sort of paradox.

(In Germany horse's whiskers are considered the same as a cat's, necessary for feeling the environment. I admit I used to shave Baasha's whiskers, to make him look proper. And the ears, always. Most importantly, the chin/jaw hair. But I have no experience with a razor.)

Here is a stallion at stud at a popular Arabian breeder here, who is both a CA and a SCID carrier, and the breeder lists their mares that he's bred this year on his profile page. I think this is morally irresponsible. I feel like writing Sax Arabians a letter. When I see WH Justice as a sire, I cringe. You can eliminate this disease, CA, if you care enough. (That is a heartbreaking video of an otherwise robust filly, who couldn't survive because coordination turns out to be important in horses.)




Please note the properly schminkt face, and long whiskers. There are so many horses out there, why would you breed to a genetic disease on the hope of not incurring it...soon?

6 comments:

AareneX said...

we were just talking about the weird phenomenon of people purposely breeding horses with genetic flaws. Impressive is the obvious one, but as you note, there are others. And the answer is, of course, money. Impressive-bred horses win in the show ring because the defect gives them the "look." Myself, I'd love to see HYPP horses made ineligible, but ahhhhhh, money again.Sigh.

I love whiskers and fuzzy ears, and the winter feathers that Fee grows around her feet. I trim her jawline to minimize the "goat" look of a shaggy head, but other than that, she is as furry as God makes her.

The word "schminkt" is awesome. Sounds like what it is. Can I refer to people as being schminkt?



lytha said...

Aarene, first of all, I'm so overwhelmingly happy that you are doing well!!!! My prayer was that you found it less painful this time.

I always hesitate to use a German word in my blog (maybe I should?), but in this case, schminken seems appropriate, meaning, simply "to apply make up."

You do the jawline too? Good. That's the least we can do to keep them respectable in Winter.

I have no idea how you can further use the word: ) Perhaps like "Angst" and "Weltschmerz" it will come.

(Oh, but Angst means something different here - it's simply fear.)

So, what can we do against this wave of greed where people breed a horse and perpetuate suffering?

Did you see the foal who kept shaking her head, as if trying to clear the cobwebs so she could execute her daily life? It broke my heart, that people out there get money for the misery that results in death. OK, only what percent of the time? But that's too much for me.

I joked to J today that in an alternate life I'm an Arabian horse breeder, with a multitude of horses. Ha, no way, but if I had one horse to breed, it wouldn't be to a disease carrier, no matter how gorgeous.

kbryan said...

Your post about potty training Bellis made me smile. I'm so pleased that it is working! I think you should do a post about how you are doing it as inquiring minds want to know (include photos).

I like all the whiskers and ear tuffs, I figure they are there for a reason, just my opinion.

I hate scam phone calls! Wish there was a way that you could report that fellow.

Have a good weekend!

Kay

EvenSong said...

After my overo mare had a lethal white foal I took the APHA to task for not requiring stallion owners to at least identify that their horse was carrying the gene. They never got back to me. Lately, I see ads for NON-carriers say so (just like the QH ads that will tout ""5-panel negative.") which is helpful. But for owners to knowingly breed their positive horses (because the percentage of risk is low) is a crime!
Good job with Bellis!

lytha said...

Kay, you want photos of a pile of poop!>!??! I cannot do that, it goes against my neat freak nature. Can you imagine it? It's greenish and about 6 inches high and about 3 feet in diameter. I suppose I'd hate scam calls if I got them regularly. This was my very first experience and I loved it! (cuz J was on the receiver and no one can mess with him!)

Evensong, I'm so sorry you had to go through that. You, the mare, and the foal, how sad. That people are rolling the dice with lives, KNOWINGLY, agh!

Achieve1dream said...

Lol!! The scam call thing is so funny!! I hate them because we get them all the time. I got one at midnight one time when I had just fallen asleep after fighting to fall asleep for hours. I was so angry.

Congrats on potty training Bellis!! Fingers crossed it sticks after you wean her off having the existing pile!

The whole thing with knowingly breeding to horses with known genetic diseases makes me so sad. People who do that for money just have no heart.