Friday, October 2, 2015

Pretty is as pretty does

I just got back from S's barn where she showed me videos she took of the Haegerhof sale horses. So disappointing, because they only showed horses being chased around an arena. Well, if gaits were important to me, the videos would be helpful, but honestly you can't tell much about a horse's personality by seeing it trotting around an arena, the only thing less helpful would be videotaping it grazing at pasture.

Useful videos, those that expose character and training, would be of:

  • A horse being caught from pasture
  • A horse being groomed
  • A horse being saddled
  • A horse being - gasp - ridden

I tried my best to be polite and grateful for her efforts, but the only horse I liked on her videos/photos has very little experience, as all the Haegerhof horses do. They're imported from Eastern Europe, they're broke to saddle by employees and sold as quickly as possible. Some of them are very fine quality, but none of them are what you'd call experienced.



This is my favorite, out of well, no others, cuz no others met my requirements. Hm. Dejavu with Haegerhof. This is the horse I referenced earlier on my blog, who I call "the fatty." I like him because he seems very relaxed. Relaxed even under saddle, head low, letting it all hang out, in one of his first times under saddle. He would be the only reason I'd drive 5 hours to Haegerhof.



He's a cutie, lazy in the arena, and my friend S was not at all impressed by him. She said he's correct, but obviously his laid-backness did nothing for her. He's 4300E.

She was very much in love with one of the sale horses and he was a beauty, with lovely action. But he's never been ridden in his life. She admitted, "I know, you have no arena to train a horse, and I know, you have no other horses to ride with, and I understand those two things are crucial to saddle/trail-breaking a horse." Good, I didn't have to say it. I just thanked her for understanding.



This is the unbroke horse that S fell for - and he does have a pretty face, so pretty. She took video of him running around too, and yes, he can also run around.

I said, "I see he's beautiful, but I've had beautiful, twice now, and it's not a priority. I want a horse that knows its job and loves it already when I buy it, so I know what I'm getting, as much as that is possible."

I showed her the videos of the bay Hannover gelding and she said, "But he looks so disconnected, his body parts don't match, his topline is awful, and well...he does look willing and has a wonderful walk under saddle...do you think he'd match up with Bintu well?"

I was stunned for a moment, does she plan on teaching them to pull a carriage together? Why would my horse need to match strides with her horse? I said, "He's faster than Mara, and remember when you rode her, how amazed you were at how fast she walked?" I can't keep up with him, the owner had to keep stopping and waiting for me.

Then I started showing her the photos and videos of my visit to Mara and someone came through the door and started watching over our shoulders. She said, "I like the dark chestnut! That's the horse I'd buy." S said, "That's the horse she just sold, what a shame, you would have loved her!" I said, "Are you looking to buy?" "Well, no..." OK then. So, again, everyone loves Mara, even those who have not met her. Pretty is as pretty does.

S said, "Well, for what this gelding has to offer, 5500E is way too much money." Then she offered suggestions about bargaining. Then she said I'd need to have between 12 and 18 xrays done. Really.

***

Tomorrow first thing J and I are driving back to bloody Hannover to see him again, and I will ride him *alone in the woods* to see what happens. Alone from other horses, the owner and J can come along if they like.

The owner said I may bring my Wintec Endurance Pro and see if I can find a gullet that fits him, and if it does, I'll use it. I'd feel at home in my saddle that I did years of endurance in on good horses. I'm obviously not as confident about spot-fitting a Specialized, so that stays home. My Wintec is my home, even if my SS is my security. Either way, I'll have safety stirrups so I'll be able to do whatever I want. Oh, and try to remember half chaps, they help with trotting.

I'm looking across the room at my Wintec in the living room, and filled hope. Oh, and get this - my Engel lambswool pad fits my Wintec perfectly. Who knew. That means I have three pads that fit my Wintec - the Skito, the Woolback, and the Engel. The pad is freshly washed and every time I walk by, I run my hand over the wool. Luxurious.

I'm thinking back to a CMO a few years ago, where my old cowboy friend Ross Tillotson was camping and I inspected his new horse, a Morgan high tied above where he sat. I said, "Ross, your new horse is so pretty!"

He grouchily shook his head at me, saying, "You don't ride pretty!!!"


13 comments:

appydoesdressage said...

I am glad you are going to look at the gelding again, looking forward to what you think of him the second time around!

Kitty Bo said...

Oh, boy, do I understand "You don't ride pretty!" I've often said, pretty is, is pretty does.Especially when you are dealing with Arabians. And chasing a horse around an arena for a sale's video is one of my pet peeves. I'm not interested in seeing a horse that is lifting it's tail and passaging around because it's spooked by someone with a whip. I also don't want to see endless trot, trot, trot, around the arena. I want to see all 3 gaits and transitions. Hey, does this horse longe? You might be able to tell something about his soundness that way.I hope your visit goes well tomorrow. I understand about your saddle. Saddles are very special. We will all be thinking about you.

kbryan said...

I'm excited about your going back to see the Hannover. In spite of his lack of serious care, I like the way he looks and that he is taller than Mara. I don't blame him at all for hating arena work (if I were a horse, I'd hate it too). And perhaps his price can be negotiated.

Let us know how it goes and what J thinks of him. Maybe you should bring sweet Bellis along as well to get her opinion. :)

Good luck!
Kay

Udeb said...

I am rooting for you!! I came to your blog through Funder's one; and I grew up in Issaquah. I know you will find the partner you deserve!!

Deb

Nicole A said...

I like your gray better. S's gray looks like he might have an underbite, unless the photo was taken during a weird moment while he was chewing? Still like your guy better.

I am crossing fingers and toes and lighting candles that your ride on the Hannover bay goes FABULOUSLY! <3

irish horse said...

That "fatty" horse looks nice, and I don't mind lazy in the arena. I'd rather have that than idiot-running-around attitude. Conservation of energy! But I hope the Hannover horse is a good fit, if he can already do the job you want him for, all the other parts (not being fit, yucky feet) will come together. Good luck!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I agree wholeheartedly. Pretty is for people who show at halter. Trail riders need horses with a level head, strong hooves, and a kind heart.

Crystal said...

Oh I feel for you. Its hard to find the right horse, specially when it sounds like so many are aged and not ever ridden. I'm amazed by this, I feel bad when my horses are 3 and not been rode at least a little bit. Good luck, will be nice to use your own saddle. I am the same with my chaps as you are with that pad, I wanna touch them every time I walk by :)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're looking at the bay again. Our best trail horse hates arena work, she'll swish her tail and pin her ears, but you can ride her all day on the trail and she'll never make a wrong move. It's difficult to really know a horse when you're looking to buy.

Achieve1dream said...

I can't wait to hear how it goes with the bay. I'm really hopeful, but also trying not to get my hopes up lol.

It's going to be impossible to find a horse who is perfect. Even with Rocky he has his issues (disrespect, food aggression, etc.). Luckily everything has been easy to work through with him. I had ridden him lots of times before she gave him to me and never had him buck so that was definitely a surprise. In his case, it was definitely an "I don't want to work, I want to go back to the barn now!" type of bucking. Anyway I guess my point is that I hope the bay's issues are things you can work through because he definitely sounds like a good possibility!

Tina said...

I'm so excited reading this!

Kitty Bo said...

You know what concerns me? It's that owners in Germany seems so clueless about their horses. Anytime I sold a horse, I was very honest about everything, good and not so good. It seems there are just so many blank spaces you have to fill in.

AareneX said...

I wonder if they can be THAT clueless? But then I meet people here who are just that clueless about dogs, so I guess it's a thing.

Can't wait to hear more about the bay gelding. You know what Angie says about choosing a new horse: get one that already has "a story" because if they don't have one in place, they'll start getting on on YOUR time. :-)