Saturday, September 26, 2015

Straight Russian mare

I was so happy that my destination was only 1.5 hours from home, but soon I was caught in a vortex of construction detours, and I was ignoring my Navi which kept telling me to go to Cologne. Yes, that was the fastest way without all the detours, but I was determined to go my way.

At one point I sensed I was heading toward Cologne again and I tried to turn around on a side street. I found myself in what I thought was another detour line of cars waiting for the temporary camera-sensor traffic signals but it turned out that we were all waiting in line for a car wash.  !!! I didn't even know they had these in Germany, where you stay in your car. I quickly got out of line and defied my Navi some more, and I was right, I made it to Autobahn 3 via backroads, whew.

When I arrived a very sweet lady met me and I was surprised cuz the ad says it's a man selling the horse. She took me to meet her little herd of straight Russian Arabians.

I must say, I am still smitten with this type of Arabian. They are all so amazingly powerfully built, and this mare at almost 16 HH was broader than Mara and gave the impression she could carry my man and myself together through the mountains no problem. Russians are great. Pretty faces, not extreme, but just so strong. And the legs were great too.












She has a "table-top" back - hard for me to photograph, but maybe you can see it here. None of my photos do her justice.




If my priority were conformation I'd buy her. She beats Mara there even. And for only 3500? With such good bloodlines (Balaton) and her conformation, she'd be perfect for reproducing.

However, due to lack of clarification, they were not prepared to ride her for me, and I don't get on sale horses without seeing them ridden first. She and her husband both apologized for the misunderstanding, and promised me they'd have her trainer come out and ride her next time I'm available. That seems fair.

So we brought the mare to their immaculate barn, and I observed. The mare scooted all around, trying to get her friends in the pasture in view, and knocked over the grooming kit with a forehoof. She danced around as the lady tried to clean her hooves, and the lady had to keep moving her over again to get at her feet as she squirmed.

I asked when was the last time she was worked - 2 months ago.

Why don't people who are selling horses work with their horses before the sale? Don't they realize the horse makes a much better impression if it's been reminded how to lift its hooves when asked?




Pretty girl.



Immaculate. I liked how each stall divider was only hip-high - each horse can groom its neighbor over the wall, and they can see practically everywhere.



This is the father. As is typical for our region (even though this was Rheinland-Pfalz), the fence was a one-line electric rope between him and the mares. Hm!


The mare is 11 years old. What have you done with her in these 11 years, I asked. She said their niece used to ride her but discovered boys and quit. She'd been to a Western trainer twice in her life, other than that she has lived at pasture in her herd.

Every so often I'd catch her scent - she smells exactly as an Arabian should, a healthy rich smell. I loved it. I kept saying, "Omy she smells so good." It's been 3 weeks since I've smelled healthy Arabian.

"So she gets in a trailer fine?" "Well, not if you're in a hurry, she can sense that." OK then.



I think I'll call this "My Tour of Germany's Worst Hooves."



I know what the farrier was trying to do here, cuz one tried it on Baasha.



All four, bad.

The lady was nice enough to offer that we take a walk in the woods with the horse. Although her pasturemates were screaming for her, she walked with us without calling. She walked politely, even stepping in puddles and deep mud with no issue. We passed the pasture of her father, and he raced around.

I got along with that lady so well, especially in comparison to the bay's owner. This lady was so easy to talk to and agrees with me about Arabians and how breeders are not always ethical, separating papers from horse, and breeding for faces instead of legs, and she knows all the German breeders I've visited the last few years, so it was fun to talk about them and their horses.

Finally I suggested we turn back and when we arrived, she put the horse in a stall in the big empty barn. Her husband was there to talk to us, and he was curious about my impressions.



Petjera ("pet-YAIR-ah") fussed in the stall the entire time, tossing her head in circles to be let out again with her herd.

I said I'd return next week to see the horse ridden, because she's such a quality horse.

Unfortunately I think it's a case of a horse standing 11 years in a field not being used, which makes her mental maturity about the same as a 3 year old.

I'll invite S to come with me on Oct. 4th to see her.

It only took me 1.25 hours to get home, so that was nice.

My husband asked me immediately how she was, and I said she's an awful lot like Mara, but typical in her behavior for a horse not used regularly. I mean, she's typical for a horse who hasn't had much done with it, while Mara was atypical because I'd done so much with her, and she acted like an untamed thing.

The bay gelding looks better to me now, but the owner is not answering my emails. I fear that it's a case of someone being interested in your horse, and you realize you cannot part with him.


13 comments:

Kitty Bo said...

I like it that she is a bigger horse. As soon as you said around 16hh, I smiled. So many Arabians over here now seem to be under 15 hands and scrawny. But scooting around to see her friends. Not much handling. That doesn't appeal. Although if you are willing to work with her, I suspect she could come around. Sometimes it's harder when they are older. I think there'd be some round penning in her future.

lytha said...

KB, wouldn't it be nice? If only I could afford both a horse and a roundpen. Most horses could use a roundpen at least. We just don't have the means, so I'm a little trapped. I actually asked her owner, "Do you have a roundpen?" and she replied that they built one to the best of their means, with hog fuel, etc, but even with hog fuel it was only usable in Summertime. I understand. It's very wet here year round. I sure wish I could find an affordable solution.

Carol Anne said...

Having not blogged in forever, I'm enjoying catching up on all the blogs I used to enjoy :-)
I like her a lot. I have always loved the look of Arabians, but never had the desire to own one.....and that is only because so many have such delicate builds and they aren't very tall. Unfortunately that's not a good combination with my large self...
This mare, though, I like!! Nice build. Nice height. ....and she certainly sounds level headed, just needs a bit of work (which I agree may or may not be worth it). I'm curious to hear how she does under saddle...

AareneX said...

16 hands, eek. That's just impossibly tall for an endurance hor....oh, wait. Fiddle is 16 hands. :-)

The hooves, gah. What, exactly, is the farrier trying to do? those cracks are ugly, and hey, maybe trim the toes, huh?

I'm still kinda leaning towards the bay. But I like bays, and I DON'T like drama.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

She's definitely got pretty coloring and a nice head. At my age, I'm no longer interested in training horses from scratch or re-training pasture ornaments. Hopefully, she'll turn out to be one of these horses that picks up right where she left off when the trainer rides her for you, and is just as good for you when you ride. I wonder if it would be cheaper for you to buy an experienced trail horse in Arizona for a few hundred dollars and have it shipped to Germany? Somehow I doubt it.

kbryan said...

She is quite pretty, and I too, like the fact that she is a bigger than Mara. I am curious to see how she goes under saddle. Can't blame her too much for being fidgety from lack of use. If you had two seconds to choose, who would you go with? I like the bay too - it would be nice to go back for a longer "test ride" on him.

Been thinking about Mara. . . I hope that she is OK.

K.

TeresaA said...

I love how she looks. I would be concerned about how she is under saddle. Her age and lack of training would concern me. I'm also concerned about her hooves. But worth a second look to see how she goes.

L.L.E said...

Beautiful mare. What was the farrier trying to do to her hooves?

lytha said...

Aarene, sometimes the farriers think they can stop a crack by burning it out. I've never seen that work in all Baasha's crack-hoof'd years.

NM, it costs between 6 and 10 K to fly a horse here, sadly: ( Baasha was worth it, even if he only lived a few years here, he knew he was home, with me finally, and he was so content.

Kay, I agree with you, you can't blame her for unhandled behavior. The bay is immensely more appealing after meeting the magnificent, perfectly built chestnut.

Teresa, we have another appointment, so I hope to be able to answer that.

Laura, they try to burn cracks out sometimes. I've never seen it work. If anyone else has, I hope they speak up here!!

Nicole A said...

This mare is beautiful and chrome above the knees is allowed: I know many Arabs with that much white on their legs. :)

I don't like her behavior though. The way she stands and her demeanor...it's like she is Mara all over again. Too nervous. A well-trained horse that has stood around for 2 months unworked should still be able to stand still politely for grooming, I don't care what breed they are. And these owners can't ride their own horse? I understand wanting the trainer to show her off, but not being able to ride the horse themselves without warning would be a red flag for me. Why do they need to know that in advance, so they can drug her? I'm also really concerned about the herd-boundness: it can be a very serious issue. You can work a horse out of being herd bound, but it can turn into a constant struggle especially when you only have one other companion that they will fixate on. They will default back to it in times of stress or if they haven't been worked routinely for x amount of time. My herd-bound mare is far less herd bound in herds with 5 or more horses. Like Teresa said, I would be concerned about her lack of training and greenness for her age. I know you are perfectly capable of training a horse, but if I were looking for a horse for you, knowing your history with Mara, I would want a more "made" horse for you or at least one that thinks before reacting to things. Gracie had been started under saddle before being used as a broodmare at age 3! She was out for 2 years, then bought as a green horse by her previous owner, who paid for 60 days of professional NH training before dumping her in a field for 8 months. She had the maturity of a 4 year old when I started working with her. Her saving grace, and what drew me to her, is that she is the kind of horse that thinks before she reacts (most of the time...especially now that she understands what "personal space" means.) Otherwise I never would have purchased another green horse to work with. I've met many young horses of different breeds including Arabs who are thinking horses and they are *such* a joy to work with.

I am so sorry if I sound blunt here and I really don't mean to, but I just don't want you to end up in the same boat all over again. <3

Burning cracks is not unique to Germany. I saw that done for the first time here in the US. ;)And no, it does not work!

lytha said...

Saiph, I'm trying to give this mare the benefit of the doubt, but when I got home from looking at her, and J asked, "What's she like?" I said, "If I wanted a horse just like Mara, I'd buy this mare." It sucks when you get along with an owner so well and have to decline. But the two horses I've had in my life were bought from people I would not want as friends. Curious if you noticed the photos of her hooves, how she's not weighting all 4 feet in the photos, she's squirming around.

Caitlin said...

It really sucks that she's not been mentally worked and handled because conformation wise I think she's stunning. Seriously, I want my mare to look have as sturdy as she does. (Mine's a Egyptian/Polish/Crabbet mix but definitely has the tiny Egyptian legs!)

Achieve1dream said...

She is gorgeous!! Her personality definitely does remind me of Mara though... I'm really curious to see how she does when they ride her for you. *fingers crossed*