Sunday, April 26, 2015

Our garden middle April

The horrible Winter seems to be over (but who knows) and things are finally growing here, or at least, starting to. It's still overwhelming to me that life returns to this land after so much snow and hibernation.

I'm going to try to name the plants I photographed as I walked around my yard (or just stuck the camera out the window). I don't think I know all the names, maybe you can help me.


Blut Johannisbeere (flowering currant, native to N America!)
Schluesselblueme (English - no idea)
Flowering currant up close
In the center is my not-dead-after-all Japanese Maple (Japanische Ahorn) - I'm so glad it made it through the Winter!
Christrosen?
Sternmagnolie (that other variety of tulip tree, no idea)
Horse standing by dormant grape vine
Tagetes (agh, I forget)
More Christrosen
Veilchen (viola)
Grape hyacinth (?)
No idea but I love these annuals - they come in purple too. On a mild winter they'll bloom 2 years.
More Veilchen (viola)
No idea - these yellow water plants grow in both our sess pools I mean ponds. I generally hate yellow flowers.
Apfel. (Future apples)
Haselnuss (Hazelnut - it's a blackish purple variety, I love it so much!)
Heide (heather, grows wild here)
Nelken (carnation - best smelling plant in our yard)
Felsenbirne (service berry?)
More Felsenbirne (birds will soon come to eat the berries - this is the tree I wake up to every morning)
Mandelbaum (almond tree)
I'm finally going to sell that Schneiders blanket I don't like. The cat thought it was for her.
I'll have to write "Cat not included" in the ad: )
We can't take credit for most of the things flowering in our yard - it came this way. But we sure enjoy it!

14 comments:

Kitty Bo said...

No matter where you live, spring is always a miracle. Lovely pictures.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I love the viola. That blanket looks an awful lot like the one my horses have. I hope I didn't recommend it to you, only to have you not like it.

Jennifer said...

Beautiful garden! Much like you, I can't take credit for all the flowers in my yard, as they were here before me too. Still love them. ☺

hainshome said...

Sternmagnolie is, I think, magnolia.
Tagetes is Marigold!
I always thought viola were the small blooms, and the bigger blooms were pansy.
I don't like yellow flowers either, and I either got
that from you, or I just want more distinction from weeds.

lytha said...

Kitty Bo, well honestly for me Spring was never the miracle it is now, because I came from a place where there was no true Winter. Now I understand!

NM, you didn't recommend it, and there are things I like about it (its adjustability and the lack of a poop catching tail strap). But the neck is cut to put pressure directly on the withers, and also let a lot of rain in the neck area so the horse's chest gets wet. But I hope you can see that even after 10 years at least, it's still in great shape so I hope it sells!

Jennifer, thank you: )

Hainshome, well magnolia has the really big blooms, and this has tiny ones. I know my perspective with the camera wasn't very helpful, including the viola which are tiny but appear to be pansies in the pictures. I didn't influence you to not like yellow flowers I don't think, cuz that's a recent thing for me, but it's for the same reason - to distinguish from weeds: ) Here, buttercups and dandelions, same as home. Marigold, of course!

irish horse said...

Kitty on the blanket is my favorite, even if not a flower.

And I know the Christrosen is Hellebore, common name Lenten rose. It is too dry to grow it here (i've tried) but I love it.

Did you make your blog private? For some reason I just got all your last month+ of posts in my blog reader (feedly). I was wondering where you were! I'll now have to go catch up on the back posts...

L.L.E said...

wow! colorful and beautiful yard you have :)

lytha said...

Irish, sorry about that. I had to make it private a little while and hoped I wouldn't lose people like you, but I didn't plan ahead....oops.

Laura, I love looking at what you've been doing to your place too!

cdncowgirl said...

Gorgeous flowers! Spring is finally here so I'm looking forward to green things growing and flowers to plant :)

felsenbrine - shadbush
tagetes - marigolds
sternmagnolie - magnolia
(magnolia stellata?)
christrosen - Christmas rose
schluesselbleume - cowslip

lytha said...

Cdn, do you have these plants in your area? I've never heard the English words cowslip, christmas rose, or shadbush, but thanks for that.

cdncowgirl said...

To be completely honest I googled the answers lol
I have heard of cowslip before but not the other two.

Achieve1dream said...

Such pretty flowers!! I can't help with distinguishing them hehe. I only recognized the ones you already know. :)

Jason said...

Magnolia stellata or star magnolia is correct. From Tennessee on south we grow magnolia grandiflora.....the huge evergreen trees with equally huge white flowers that you're thinking about.

lytha said...

Jason, "grandflora" seems to express how big those flowers are. I had no idea they are evergreens, but I know on my trip to New Orleans, they had something called Live Oaks that don't shed leaves in typical weather. Likewise I find it fascinating that Larch pines lose their needles and change colors.