Saturday, September 13, 2014

Gott sieht alles...

....die Nachbarn mehr.

There is a lack of snarky signs in Germany, and virtually no one has a bumper sticker that tries to make a statement. This is an old saying that you can actually still find on signs or doormats. It means, "God sees everything, the neigbhors see more."


Although my neighbors are not omniscient, I appreciate the way they look out for each other. The other day an elderly neighbor rang to tell us to be careful, there was someone with poor German skills going door-to-door asking if people need gutter cleaning. Her suspicion prompted her to warn us all.

I feel so safe here - I know it's not entirely crime free, but the difference between here and America is something you have to experience to understand. Also, we have a cop with a gun on his hip next door (although I wonder if they really teach them how to shoot, cuz the chances are they'll never have to).

Anyway if I seem complainy at times about my weird German life, I want to express how much I like being able to let my guard down. Don't worry, I don't let the Schrotthaendler come with me if I have some junk for them - I bring it to their trucks and throw it in myself. They love my hoof rasps.

***

My Mountain Dew looks funny. I know I blogged this before but finally I understand why it is the color of urine while the bottle is the correct color. That color's not allowed. Aha, right. Although it tastes the same to me, I try not to look at it.


***

This week J had 5 other music teachers over for a dinner team meeting. He asked me to make tacos. Everyone loves tacos! For an appetizer I put tortilla chips with shredded cheese in the oven and made a taco-seasoning sour cream dip.

The Germans must think that we're animals when it comes to eating. They have a very hard time eating with their hands. You will see them with forks and knives cutting into a burger, and fries come with tiny plastic forks. So when they saw the nachos, I think they were at a loss how to keep their manners and still eat them. Forks.

I insisted that they touch their food when it came to the tacos though. One lady mentioned how much she loved Frijoles in Mexico and I had no idea what Frijoles are - I asked, "Are they a type of bean?" and she didn't know, but when she tried my beans, she exclaimed, "FRIJOLES!" so I think that's it.

Even though Germans don't eat beans like we do, they ate up all the beans I'd made, and not much of the ground beef, and about half of the lime chicken.

Oh to have green chilis in Europe *sigh*

For dessert I made a traditional peach crisp (peach/oat cobbler) topped with vanilla bourbon ice cream and a squirt of caramel topping. I gave out tiny portions (like in France) and they could barely eat it, it was so sweet. Yah, American desserts are usually way too sweet for Germans. But half the peaches were from a neighbor's tree, and they were very sour.

About manners - in Germany you never visit someone without bringing a gift. I got a bottle of wine, a box of Merci chocolates, a jar of homemade jam (scared of that), and a huge deep purple dahlia.  It made me feel good after all the trouble I went to with the tacos and various fillings.

***
On the subject of food, I had to take a photo of the last bit of cheese I brought back from England. It is to-die-for yummy. I savored every nibble. It tastes almost exactly like black-label Tillamook.

If you live in a region you can get aged cheddar, I hope you don't take it for granted.


Next time I go to England, I'm bringing a cooler with ice and filling it up with this cheese. My mouth is watering from the memory of the taste of it. Two main things to love about England: The people and the food. God Save the King.

***

And now for more randomness.....


This is what my ipod looks like. 2005 (?) model. Hey, it still works! (This is the song I was listening to when I decided to move to Germany.)



I love it when people have white/black homes and put red geraniums in the windows. I'm told it's a Bavarian thing.



Donkey tied to her hazelnut tree, investigating for the 5th time the potted plant. "It looks like a bucket but it's a trick, there's no food!"



This is one of the photos from Friday's shoot, and an example of how sometimes the photographer makes my animals unrecognizable to me. I would not have guessed this is my horse. I've always felt that this is a difficult angle for any horse to look good in, even typy Arabs lose their best features from this perspective. The muzzle will always look too big, the ears will usually too, the dish is not apparent, and the eyes must simply be huge to look OK. She wanted a picture of Mara with nostrils expanded, and I don't normally like that look. The only thing I like about it is you can see how fine-skinned Mara's face is, almost what they call "dry" with all the angles and veins. But who is this horse?: )

Please click to enlarge to appreciate how much I hot towelled poor Mara's face that day.

***

OK enough of My German Life for now: )

8 comments:

Kitty Bo said...

I love hearing about your German life!And I am amazed that you can get taco fixin's in Germany. When my husband and I were visiting friends in Kiev, I was having withdrawal from not having beans, so our friend took us (walking miles and miles) to a "Mexican"restaurant (that he hinted was owned by the Ukranian mafia.) The refried beans had vinegar in them (why????) and the tortilla chips were very thin, but it was a tolerable attempt.

Reddunappy said...

Sounds like a wonderful German life!! Mara is so pretty! I think it is a beautiful photo of her! I think frijoles are refried beans. LOL

lytha said...

KittyBo, I'm amazed too: ) I have to pay a lot for each ingredient - a pack of taco seasoning is 1.79E (enough for one pound of ground beef). The tortillas are crap, so I've learned to make them myself but it's such a dirty job I rarely do. So far I've never seen corn tortillas, only flour. Mexican restaurants here are disappointments, every one. They serve kidney beans cuz they don't know about pinto or refried beans. The salsa is sugary and sour. The tortilla chips are too thin for dipping, like you had, and too salty, but I am just glad I can get them at all. When I first moved here, there were no tortilla chips. I just looked at the chip package and it says "Tortillas" (like that) on the front, and on the back it says, "Corn snack" in German. Doritos are also pretty new here and have to be defined on the package, "Cheese flavored corn snack." I had a dream about Taco Time last night (PNW taco restaurant - very expensive fast food but everything on the menu is excellent). (And now people who know real mexican food are laughing at me...: ))

Reddunappy, I'm glad you like hearing about it - I know it's off topic: ) I finally found refried beans in one store and a normal sized can (12 oz?) is 2.50E. This is a very rare treat!

T said...

I'm not sure I could survive without cheddar or Mexican food! Sounds like a fun dinner though :)

AareneX said...

Have you tried growing pinto beans? Not that hard to grow, and good for building up soil.

You might start a trend in Germany!

White Horse Pilgrim said...

I guess that you'll be back over here in England for cheese soon then. (And beer and fish and chips. I noticed.)

In the US I went to buy some groceries and packed them into the bags myself because that's the way in England unless one is old or handicapped. The checkout lady thought that was really funny, me doing her job.

The Mexican food in NM and CO was really good. If I were single, I think that I might have stayed in Santa Fe or Durango.

Achieve1dream said...

LOL I have lived in the U.S. my whole life and I pack my own groceries... I hate standing there with nothing to do. :)

That Mountain Dew looks disgusting!!!!!! I don't think I could drink it.

The meal you made sounds amazing. I would definitely miss Mexican food if I lived there.

Achieve1dream said...

Oh and I forgot to say I love that picture of Mara!! She is so beautiful!