Sunday, August 17, 2014

Cavallo Akademie

My photographer friend told me about a horse event in Moenchengladbach, which is almost the Netherlands, and I decided to drive out there and see what Cavallo Akademie is about. Cavallo is a popular horse magazine, the organizer of the event.

It took place at Schloss Wickrath, a nearly 1000 year old castle surrounded by a swampy old moat, with ponds and fountains and long lanes lined by oaks, and horsehead pillars and a horse statue. It is a state stud, which my husband clarified, "A horse nursery."



















The new barn and arena are gorgeous, so modern. I didn't have a ticket to the Kenzi Dysli liberty dressage class, but I stood at the window and watched anyway. Kenzi Dysli is the daughter of famous horseman Jean Claude Dysli.

I browsed some booths and found a new type of pressure sock for horses with a zipper and velcro closures. Hm.

Then I drooled over the Sommer saddles, the Spirit model. Oh, if only I could have a whole lotta saddles. It's what I used to ride Galim with. It is specifically made for short-backed Arabians, the seat can extend beyond the panels.

Then I got to see a demonstration, Uta Graf and Stefan Schneider. Uta on her dressage horse, and Stefan on his Spanish Doma Vequera horse, (ask Wait for Jumps Saiph for a language interpretation) riding side by side to music the audience was clapping along to. Click the link to estimate what I saw. They were grinning the entire time. I have to say, the Spanish horse seemed to be having more fun than the dressage horse. Dressage is so serious! Take a look at that youtube link, it's pretty much the same show I saw.

I also saw a wonderful clinic where people rode swimming pool noodles between their legs in the arena, and a thoughtful, cheerful riding instructor taught about body position on a horse It was awesome! Dr. Tuuli Tietze, die Reiter mit Mentaltraining näher ans Pferd bringt. If I were rich I'd bring her here weekly to be my Centered Riding instructor. Are there any others near me? No idea.  She was awesome, asking the audience, "What are the cues we give when we want a canter?" and then demonstrating from the replies she recieved, always smiling, atop her pool noodle, where the entire group manged to control their noodles. It looked so difficult. She wanted people to pay close attention to the noodles, how and when they bent, influenced by their bodies.

The kiddies in the arena were just dying to get to the canter, in fact, they requested it from her. Then we had many ladies cantering around with pool noodles. I'm so sorry I have no photo. It just seemed so strange at the time. I was a little annoyed that only women participated in her demo. Like men cannot be bothered.

I also watched a Parelli trainer with her three horses run around together and stand still together and back up together. I'm not sure I want to pursue learning this liberty groundwork. I'm not convinced it has a purpose for me. My horse already does all that at a respectful distance, attuned to me almost as perfectly as Baasha when I breathe a finger touch onto her body. I just today praised her "You're starting to get it now Mara. Close to exactly how and where I want your body with us both standing in your paddock, no halter or rope. Good girl."

My photographer friend wanted to talk to Kenzi before her freestyle demo so I was allowed into the barn.  The barn was beautiful, but dark and full of the stank of sour hay (haylage).  Grooms stood or sat in front of each horse, like at a dressage show in America, except that the stalls were deep with golden straw.

My friend and Kenzi did that European cheek kissing thing I will never do. Kenzi is a charming young lady, used to being soaked in compliments but still gracious. She was carefully getting her horse Atila ready, even though she had helpers there. Below is a pic of my friend, the one with the tiny strong knees, taking pics.





One of the things in this picture does not belong. You won't notice it either if you're American.




I often see signs in English like "Coffee to go" and don't realize it's in English, because my brain had so many years of seeing English. I once saw an American (orange) school bus and didn't notice for a second. OH right, they don't exist here!

This was the first LQ horse trailer I've ever seen in Europe. I explained  to my friend what it was, that there's a little people area in front, and horse area behind. I'm not sure she believed me that there's usually a bathroom too, and that the box on top is an AC.

It belonged to the Licensed Parelli Professional, of course. Only those guys try to emulate the richness that is America. (Seriously, how does he drive it on these narrow roads? Probably exclusively for castle events like these.)

I got a few pics of Kenzi's ride. Her Andalusian Atila was very tense, very unhappy to be in that arena alone with no other horses in sight, and called a few times during the performance. Kenzi had a smile on her face almost the entire ride, despite him not paying attention. He performed in the Spanish style, quick pirouettes/rollbacks and some rearing up for fun.











Watching her ride was such a pleasure, I think her relaxation was infectious.



Tempi-changes with Halsband.



My girly side loves the schal (scarf).








It was a fun event to see, I'm glad I went. Watching all those relaxed happy riders somehow improved my driving. I pole-positioned happily all the way home, often topping 170, which is a lot to ask a Toyota.

Horses should delight in their work, but be allowed a bad day....like what I have to post next.


6 comments:

ellie k said...

I did notice the large truck and trailer in the pic. I think because I always look for the small trailers they use there.

cdncowgirl said...

The 'something's not right' photo... as soon as I looked at it I thought "Huh, that looks like a North American style trailer. I didn't think they had those there."

Sounds like you had a good day :)

AareneX said...

Super cool! I loved the video link.

But, uhm. Who had a bad day?

Kitty Bo said...

Ha-ha! The riding influenced your driving! I have found that also.

kbryan said...

What a beautiful place. Kenzi and her horse are beautiful. I was immediately struck by her beautiful posture. Glad you had fun.

Achieve1dream said...

Wow I love Kenzi's dress! Beautiful! I totally had no clue what didn't belong in the picture until you pointed it out. Hehehe. I'm so used to those trailers here. :) Sounds like the event was really cool. I'm glad you had fun!