Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Bellis and Mara grazing in the yard

I put up a temporary fence so that perhaps my animals could help me with the unstoppable surge of grass that my lawn mower and I cannot keep up with. Well, this was a mistake, cuz I had to mow it today, and although there was less grass, there were hoof holes everywhere making my lawn mower stall. *sigh* OK but at least I got nice photos.

Here is Bellis in her wonderful but short lived Summer coat.

I sat in a garden chair, fearing they'd make trouble. At one point J came out and said, "They will fall through the cistern, if you didn't block their access." I said, "I did, I mean, how big is it?"

But I'd protected it, and the only trouble was surprisingly, Mara going up to our woodpiles and trying to disassemble them. It's not like the donkey to be the good one.


























I love how dark her face is in Summer. If only it would stay that way.









9 comments:

Zoe said...

Mara's coat is a fantastic colour it just glows in the light. Love the pic of the nose to nose. xx

lytha said...

Thank you Zoe, I like that she's not the lightest of chestnuts.

Geez, I could have put both those halters down one hole, both look too tight to eat grass.

AareneX said...

They are both pretty, and they are pretty together!

Jennifer said...

Love it! Such beautiful creatures. :-)

ellie k said...

No pictures of the cat for a while, is it ok?

kbryan said...

Bellis' coat is so pretty. They both look like two happy, healthy, and very well cared for equines. What a nice treat for them both. The nose to nose is an endearing photo.

Melissa-ParadigmFarms said...

When Sparky finally finishes shedding out his winter coat I think he has his summer coat for like two weeks (well, longer than that but it feels like two weeks) before his winter coat starts coming in.

Achieve1dream said...

Zep's summer coat doesn't last long either. It's too bad because it's really pretty. Both of your girls look fantastic! I love the nose to nose picture.

Achieve1dream said...

Oh I forgot to say. Chrome and Zep have lost their grazing privileges. The other day Chrome was using my peach tree as a scratching post and got hung up in the string holding it to a stake and broke the wooden stake. He stripped almost all the leaves off and broke several limbs. He was fine thank goodness. I think the tree will live too. I was so sad though because it finally produced it's first peach this year. Oh and while I was untangling Chrome I caught Zep in the feed shed!! He opened it, opened the metal feed barrel, knocked it over and then was eating the feed!! Ugh!! A year and a half and neither had done anything like that and then they do it at the exact same time!! So yeah they aren't allowed in the yard anymore unless I'm out there. I really need to do a post on my blog about that. I'm glad your girl behaved!