Friday, November 15, 2013

2013 America visit, part 1

Finally I'm saying something about our October trip.


We retured to our animals in good health, except for all of them being fat. Could be worse: )

I took photos in Seattle that show our enjoyment of my home, and some things I find odd after living in Germany 6 years.
My man always laughs as soon as we park on a ferry and head up the stairs, at this sign, which promises to him that somehow Autumn will be skipped this year. We're on our way to Shelton, on the peninsula, to see my dad and his wife.


Every ferry ride, I must have some Ivar's clam chowder. The price goes up every year on the ferries. I bought it with great excitement, and told the lady, "I come here every year for Ivar's. I do not complain about the price." She gave me my bowl and said, "Good girl." My mouth was totally watering to once again taste Ivar's chowder. It's not the best I've had, it's just awesome to eat it on the water, travelling to friends and family. (2013 price per bowl: $5.83)


This is the view of the Sound on a cloudy day. Sometimes we're lucky enough to have clear skies and a breathtaking view of Mt Rainier. You'll see photos later that I was able to get on our trip.


Dolphins and whales visit here. Perhaps they should've been on our state quarter, rather than the trout. Or salmon. That is debated, trout or salmon. I honestly don't know.


Another ferry docks beside us. Washington state has the biggest ferry fleet in the nation, and we kind of take them for granted, that they are there for commuters.


On arrival at my dad's place on the peninsula, I noted the gun by the door. He's after wildlife that steals out of his bird feeders and such.


If you step out my dad's door, you see where he's been pracicing.


My dad is a motorcycle guy, but has lately taken up corvettes. I got to drive it!


This is the proof.


I like the heads up display. The faster you drive, the more you need it. My dad kept saying, "Punch it!" until I finally did.


Moss. You know I miss my home when I take pictures of moss for the first time.



Geocaching in long wet grass with my dad and his wife. They were very good sports about the long wet grass.


My dad's tree. We brought the sunshine to America - it was sunny almost every day of our visit, and I'd forgotten how colorful Seattle can be in Fall.


Mary's tree in Shelton. It was a big cedar and I was tearing up because I'd just found out that we wouldn't be able to visit her that day. My beloved aunt is very ill and for the first time, too sick even for our visit. That tree was so gorgeous, and I was so sad at that moment. However, a few days later she was well enough for a few hours for our visit, and just like old times, my man and I sat around on her couches and talked and talked about life. (I lived with her when I met my man, and she fully approved of him, and loves him too.)

When we finally made it to the ferry docks, a thick fog had set in. The thickest of the year. The ferries were moving so slow - we measured 8 feet per second - you could almost outwalk them. They were silent because the engines were so low. Also, we went 3/4 mile off course and just waited for 20 minutes til we heard another ferry's fog horn. They don't take any chances, even with radar. It was exciting, I'd never been in this situation on the ferries before. The next day it was in the paper. Although the radar works, they cannot be sure they won't hit some foolish fisherman or kayaker who's become lost in the fog, so they are ultra conservative.


This ferry guy stood at the prow (?) and stared into the soup without blinking or moving, the entire journey. I was so impressed. He seemed certain that lives were at stake, and that he was responsible for those lives. Finally a light appeared in the fog - Fauntleroy's dock in West Seattle. I think we all relaxed a bit when that tiny speck of light came into view.

If you've never been on our ferries, I made some videos of the to (overcast) and from (fog) trips. That second one shows the ramp of doom that hit my trailer hitch and caused me some major problems. I learned to check tide tables if you have a low trailer hitch and you wanna ferry your horses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zu8ttBAfu4

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIbLlxHub1w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ms9ZKUQbyI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k6PQi6RGOE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLks2IveRGQ


On docking we were hungry, and there was another Zeeks. One of my favorite Seattle restaurants is Zeeks pizza. I always order the Thai pizza. Check out all those local beers! Ballard has a brewery? This time I was dying for a microbrew and got some sort of Alaskan Porter, the best beer I've had in ages. (For information about why German beer, for the last 500 years, isn't my thing, google "reinheitsgebot".)
My "Thai one on"  pizza with peanut sauce and cilantro was heavenly. Sadly, I cannot handle such spicy food lately and I got sick later, as I did several other times this trip from simple things like Mexican salsa. (!!) Note the prices.


I'm upset with Zeeks now at their prices. We paid 65$ for two personal pizzas and a few drinks. That is way too much. Sorry Zeeks, you're great, but not that great.
It was sad to be in West Seattle and not be able to visit my aunt nearby. Oh well.

Coming up next on our trip, a horsey ride with Aarene!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You picked a good fall to visit-supposedly we had brighter fall leaf colors than normal, due to the unusual weather patterns. It was one of the best falls I remember in my life here, I kept noticing the colors all month! More like proverbial East Coast fall colors!